igf and hairloss study

jonesboy

jonesboy

Awards
  • Established
-------------------------------------------------------
J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999 Feb;40(2 Pt 1):200-3. Related Articles, Links

Hormones and hair patterning in men: a role for insulin-like growth factor 1?
Signorello LB, Wuu J, Hsieh C, Tzonou A, Trichopoulos D, Mantzoros CS.

Department of Epidemiology and Harvard Center for Cancer Prevention, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA.

BACKGROUND: Androgens are important in hair growth and patterning, whereas growth hormone substitution enhances their effect in growth hormone-deficient men. No previous study has jointly evaluated the function of sex steroids, sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), and insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) in determining hair patterning in men. OBJECTIVE: We assessed the relationship between circulating hormone measurements and both head and chest hair patterning in a sample of elderly men. METHODS: Fifty-one apparently healthy men older than 65 years of age were studied cross-sectionally. Head and chest hair patterning was assessed by a trained interviewer. Morning blood samples from all subjects were used for measurements of testosterone, estradiol, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, SHBG, and IGF-1. RESULTS: Results were obtained from logistic regression models, adjusting simultaneously for all the measured hormones and age. Men with higher levels of testosterone were more likely to have vertex baldness (odds ratio [OR] = 2.5, 95% confidence interval [CI: 0.9 to 7.8] per 194 ng/dL increment of testosterone). In addition, for each 59 ng/mL increase in IGF-1, the odds of having vertex baldness doubled (95% CI [1.0 to 4.6]). Those who were found to have higher circulating levels of SHBG were less likely to have dense hair on their chest (OR = 0.4, 95% CI [0.1 to 0.9] per 24 nmol/L increment in SHBG]). CONCLUSION: Testosterone, SHBG, and IGF-1 may be important in determining hair patterning in men.

Publication Types:
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.

PMID: 10025745 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

jonesboy

jonesboy

Awards
  • Established
and yet a conflicting study to muddy the waters.

Searching IGF and hair and am finding conflicting reports

This was written way back in 1994
Quote from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

IGF-I was more potent than either insulin or IGF-II, stimulating maximum rates of hair follicle growth at 10 ng/ml, whereas IGF-II gave maximum stimulation at 100 ng/ml. The rates of hair follicle growth stimulated by 10 ng/ml IGF-I were identical to those stimulated by 10 micrograms/ml insulin. IGF-II (100 ng/ml), however, was unable to stimulate hair follicle growth to the same extent as insulin. Both IGF-I (10 ng/ml) and IGF-II (100 ng/ml) were more potent than insulin at preventing hair follicles from entering into a catagen-like state. Growth hormone had no effect on hair follicle growth or morphology in the absence of insulin. These data suggest that in vitro IGF-I may be an important physiologic regulator of hair growth and possibly the hair growth cycle. Moreover, the removal of insulin from tissue culture medium may be a useful method of generating large numbers of catagen hair follicles for further in vitro studies.

Then again I see this:
"The three primary hormones having the greatest effect upon hair loss are DHT, estrogen and IGF-1. Each plays a role and must act in symphony to trigger an increased rate of drain clogging hair suicide."

Jarconis

Jarconis

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i probably have one of the most sensitive scalps ever, I start shedding hair on 45mg of anavar, and I have yet to lose a single hair with my igf use, while other guys get reamed, so it must be a genetic thing for sure.

same_old

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i probably have one of the most sensitive scalps ever, I start shedding hair on 45mg of anavar, and I have yet to lose a single hair with my igf use, while other guys get reamed, so it must be a genetic thing for sure.
just throwing out a hypothesis:

androgens, as we know, degrade the follicle over time. it takes androgen use a while to actually kill off a follicle (one of the arguments for short cycles)...many of us only see the first stage of degradation where the shafts decrease in diameter. if the follicular cycle is accelerated by IGF-1, then the damage done by the androgen will be accelerated, too, as the follicle will not live as long to rebound from the androgen damage.

thoughts?

jarconis - why is your stupid ass avatar so freaking funny?

Anabolic Monkey

Awards
Then again I see this:
"The three primary hormones having the greatest effect upon hair loss are DHT, estrogen and IGF-1. Each plays a role and must act in symphony to trigger an increased rate of drain clogging hair suicide."

Would this work sort of like how gyno is formed by the 4 hormones estrogen,progesterone,prolactin,& igf-1?
If say DHT and estrogen are absent, would the igf-1 itself still cause greater hairloss?

Jarconis

Jarconis

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
just throwing out a hypothesis:

androgens, as we know, degrade the follicle over time. it takes androgen use a while to actually kill off a follicle (one of the arguments for short cycles)...many of us only see the first stage of degradation where the shafts decrease in diameter. if the follicular cycle is accelerated by IGF-1, then the damage done by the androgen will be accelerated, too, as the follicle will not live as long to rebound from the androgen damage.

thoughts?

jarconis - why is your stupid ass avatar so freaking funny?
haha because everyone loves the kittahs!

same_old

Banned
Awards
  • Established
haha because everyone loves the kittahs!
i'm not kidding. i crack up every single time i see it, it's so goddamn stupid. there may actually be a joke in it that i dont even get, but it's just so out of place and retarded i cant help but laugh.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tobias Sherman IGF-1/GH 16
IGF-1/GH 2
Anabolics 1
Supplements 3
Supplements 0