GH Gut or just evolution of the bodybuilder?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've noticed a trend of the musclbound pregnant guts but is it a GH thing or is it the body widening itself to a bigger frame to support the huge amounts of mass. It happens to women to have kids and guys who have gained a lot of weight and kept it for a number of years won't see those small numbers again anytime soon even if the fat is gone.

Is GH gut a misused term?

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
im sure that has something to do with it...but lee haney was pretty huge and he had a pretty happenin' solar plexus. he is an example, not an exception.

and weve all read the studies, or heard the facts. 200% more igf-1 receptors in the gut than in skeletal muscle. that is not insignificant and anything that igf-1 touches, grows.

If anyone reading this does not know beforehand, the majority of growth hormones muscle building properties come from its ability to stimulate natural systemic igf-1 secretion in the liver.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
im sure that has something to do with it...but lee haney was pretty huge and he had a pretty happenin' solar plexus. he is an example, not an exception.

and weve all read the studies, or heard the facts. 200% more igf-1 receptors in the gut than in skeletal muscle. that is not insignificant and anything that igf-1 touches, grows.

If anyone reading this does not know beforehand, the majority of growth hormones muscle building properties come from its ability to stimulate natural systemic igf-1 secretion in the liver.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Dont you think it could be acombination of poor posture and or weak core muscles. I could deadlift 450 but my stomach always distended, trying to keep my abs tight changed the way i distributed weight and now im almost at the smae weight with my abs tighter. If you look at ronnie doing squats or deads his stomach its fully distended which compromises a straight as a board torso. Obviously insulin and igf abuse could play a huge role, but the reason most middle aged men arent fat but have huge fat bellies is IMO posture related and maybe poor GI function/ food build up. Bodybuilders arent the same but are men none the less.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
The massive amounts of food they eat could contribute as well. It's most likely a combination of factors. Maybe prevelant use of belts has lead to a dependence on them and torso muscles not developing along with other muscles, leading to exagerated poor posture like SWG said. Plus IGF, plus GH, plus huge amounts of food...

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No way any of them have week core muscles contributing to bad posture. A belt will help some but if you have 600lbs on the bar for squats your core has to be damn strong belt or not. I myself do powerlifting style and push my abs out against the belt and don't have any distention. I think it is caused by drugs only. Look at some of the lighter class powerlifters that are cut and none of them have that distention when relaxed.

drumirvin

Awards
My vote is not so much GH but insulin itself. The IGF receptors in the gut are being saturated by the use of semi-to high uses of GH converting to IGF and the added insulin becomes a synergistic overload. And CDB makes an excellent point...diet. You never heard of Arnold and the lot, to have eaten the quantities of food that today's pros do. Even the times of Lee Haney and Dorian, the quantities of food was huge. Maybe some pros have a higher infinity for the "gut" I mean Lee Preist (says he doesn't use GH) Dave Henry, Rockell, Melvon Anthony...ect..(all the smaller guys), have trim waste lines and abs. Hell...maybe it is GH. I love this subject and wish someone would do some internal medical studies without any bias.
Drum

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
No way any of them have week core muscles contributing to bad posture. A belt will help some but if you have 600lbs on the bar for squats your core has to be damn strong belt or not. I myself do powerlifting style and push my abs out against the belt and don't have any distention. I think it is caused by drugs only. Look at some of the lighter class powerlifters that are cut and none of them have that distention when relaxed.
GH and slin have little to do with strength. They are mass drugs. So what you are saying about powerlifters adds weight to the GH (& slin, IGF-1) theories.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
If you can support 600 pounds with your back then you dont neccessarily need strong core muscles, with a hyperextended back there is no ab involvement or else they would be tight and flexed and therefore impossible to push them out of have distended stomach. Now if you kept them tight your lower back more often is waaay stronger anyways and will out pull your stomach causing you to over arch at he top. When do you do 600 lb ab crunces to make it possible to have an equal ab/lower back pull ratio. Not saying ponnie has weak core persay, but weak in relation to lower back. And during a deadlift you dont need to have tight abs to execute but IMO should not develope habits where your spine is put in danger due to overarching. Tight abs are necessary to keep your torso straight, abs have to be able to pull as hard as the back.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know food makes my stomach stick out when I'm bulking because I'm constantlely stuffing in the food. But my stomach is always flattened out by the next morning. I guess you could stretch the stomach but I'd think during the cut leading to the show it would shrink alot. I don't know for sure but the one think that leads me to beleive that the stomach can stretch and then go right back to its regular size is the asain kid that does eating contest. Did you ever see pics of him when he is not full? His stomach looks flat and he is ripped. I'd think if anybody would have a distended belly it would be him.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I know food makes my stomach stick out when I'm bulking because I'm constantlely stuffing in the food. But my stomach is always flattened out by the next morning. I guess you could stretch the stomach but I'd think during the cut leading to the show it would shrink alot. I don't know for sure but the one think that leads me to beleive that the stomach can stretch and then go right back to its regular size is the asain kid that does eating contest. Did you ever see pics of him when he is not full? His stomach looks flat and he is ripped. I'd think if anybody would have a distended belly it would be him.
I agree. On that note, if I cut for a good while, I have trouble having enough appetite when bulk time comes. But that never lasts long...

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I think it's a combination of factures, if they used a good probiotic and digestive enzymes to help breakdown all the food that would help as well as be conscious of their breathing when training and eating more meals with smaller portions, Coleman eats around 8000 calories+ a day in the off season but only eats something like 5-6 meals, then you get Cutler who will eat around the same amount of calories but eats 12 meals and doesn't have the gut. Look at Gunter, after working with Charles Glass, his waist has come down quite a bit and alot of that was learning how to breathe and keep your abs tight. Planks and side planks will also tighten up your abs. Another thing some people may not know is alot of guys don't even bother training abs or train them consistently, Ronnie's midsection was alot tighter at the last olympia because he trained abs a couple times a week and wore a weight belt more often.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I figure wearing a weight belt weakens your abs? I see cats runnin around the gym with weight belts on doing things like bicep curls, and bench. You don't need a weight belt for that sh*t.

I don't even use a weight belt when I squat my 405 that I've been doing for the past 2 months for reps.