UNEXPLAINED Weight gain. Someone please help.

FullyBuilt

Awards
  • Established
Not sure where i would post this, but this is the main section on this board I lurk and post at so I was wondering if anyone could help. Im really stuck and have a ? about my fiancee. She is 23 years old and has gained about 60lbs in the past year. Last year she found out her thyroid was low and was prescribed syntheroid. She still kept slowly gaining weight. Then she lost her health insurance and used T3 at 25mcg daily. This worked for a while and then she kept gaining weight. She has tried everything. I've even put her on contest diets and that will only let her weight remain the same. She is about 5'5" and weighs 185lbs but its really odd b/c she looks about 150lbs if that. She has a good amount of muscle but holds a lot of water especially in the leg region something is wrong. Even when she upped her t3 dose to 50mcg still nothing. So she has gone back on syntheroid at 100mcg daily and it has had no change. I have a feeling something else went wrong. Something hormonal, b/c being on 100mcg syntheroid and doing 2hrs of cardio per day with a perfect diet she still will continue to gain weight. She went to a local dr and they were not much help. They recommened an endo, but nobody seems to know much. I was thinking she should be tested for
estradiol
progesterone
Cortisol
total test or free test(not sure which is more important for females)
Does that sound right? The local dr tested her for a cbc,glucose,metabolism,liver,etc.... and everything was normal. Is there something else that can cause this crazy weight gain. Do you recommened anything else besides what I listed above? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Is there something else that can cause this crazy weight gain. Do you recommened anything else besides what I listed above? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
The first person that comes to mind that can help, is Fit N Firm. She is usually over at the supp section of the forum. She has battled thyroid problems for a long time and can give you great insight.

In the meantime, try doing a search on "thyroid" to learn more, and keep an eye open for her posts.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Bump that advice. FnF is a great girl and she's got her thing under control even with her thyroid problems.

Drachus

Awards
was she taking any medication for water retention, or allergies?

joeyg

Awards
She needs to see a doctor. She may have something more serious like a tumor on her pituitary gland.

J.

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
She needs to see a doctor. She may have something more serious like a tumor on her pituitary gland.

J.
Agreed. This seems quite medically alarming... Find a good doc.