HGH Threat: Works Like Steroids but Undetectable

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established

ABC News

Some High School and College Coaches Worry That Humane Growth Hormone Will Become Popular With Younger Athletes
By LESLIE YERANSIAN

June 14, 2006 — - Arizona Diamondback pitcher Jason Grimsley will be sitting out 50 games because he used performance enhancing substances, including human growth hormone. Now some coaches worry that students will take Grimsley's lead and start using HGH to improve their performances and physiques.

Like creatine and steroids, HGH reduces fat and builds lean muscle, helping to create an all-star athlete's build. But HGH doesn't put the athlete at risk of getting caught because there's no reliable test for it. The human body naturally produces HGH to help with bone and tissue growth and to repair itself and fight disease.

So some coaches wonder if Grimsley will do for HGH what Jose Canseco did for steroids, and hope that the government works to clamp down on it.

"Everyone wanted to put it [HGH] under the carpet, and now we've got to face the issue," said Rob Davini, executive director of the National High School Baseball Association.

Davini was both a high school and college baseball coach for more than 35 years in Arizona, and he said it's always difficult to tell if high school players are using. "On the high school level kids are getting bigger and stronger, but I can't tell if that's to do with HGH or if they're just going through a growth spurt," he said.

There are no concrete statistics on HGH use yet, mainly because it is so difficult to detect. But Gary Wadler, a fellow at the American College of Sports Medicine, said the use of HGH could approach that of steroids.

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, approximately 8 to 10 percent of high school students have experimented with or are using anabolic steriods.

"We were all concerned about steroid use in schools; now we're concerned with HGH use trickling down to high schools because they're role modeling off these sports figures," said Wadler.

Jim Hall, a baseball and football coach for 32 years at Rockport High School, in Rockport, Ill., said the use of HGH is nothing new in sports.

"Major League Baseball knew about this for a long time, and they just turned their back," Hall said. "No one complained because they were hitting home runs and making megabucks."

Hall said he hoped that Sen. **** Durbin, D-Ill., and other legislators would stand by their word to clean up Major League Baseball.

"It's scary that it's out there. It's scary that kids want to use it," Hall said.

'Fountain of Youth' Gets Risky

Not only do athletes use HGH, the hormone has been touted as a fountain of youth pill -- reducing wrinkles, increasing sex drive, producing muscle mass and reducing body fat. For example, Grimsley, who is 38, might produce the same amount of human growth hormone as a 25-year-old by taking the drug.

Yet the side effects of HGH have shown to be as damaging and irreversible as those linked to steroids.

The human body naturally puts out approximately 15 pulses of HGH daily from the pituitary gland. When additional levels of HGH are added to the body, a disorder called acromegaly, or gigantism, can develop. A person could grow a tumor in the brain that results in the elongation of the skull, hands, feet, jaw and tongue; the teeth would begin to separate; and vital organs, like the heart, liver and spleen grow abnormally large.

The risks are even greater for teens and young adults because their bodies are still producing growth hormones. If teenagers take HGH in excess, when it has not been prescribed, it could actually have a reverse effect. Too much hormone production could stunt a young person's growth.

Moreover, injecting additional high-levels of HGH into your body may shut down your own body's mechanism to make HGH in the pituitary gland.

Other dangers of taking HGH, just as with steroids, are emotional instability and mood swings. Experts warn that HGH should be taken only under a doctor's supervision. HGH is only approved for people with dwarfism and muscle wasting from diseases like cancer and AIDS. A doctor can write a prescription for only those two reasons, according to Wadler. "Anything else is really illegal. Just like cocaine," he said.

Medicinal Substance and Not Illegal

The U.S. Department of Justice can punish those who possess or distribute HGH with a maximum jail sentence of five years. It's a felony to distribute HGH to someone under 18 years, and is punishable by up to 10 years in jail and a fine of $250,000.

"This is criminal, drug-pushing behavior," Wadler said of HGH distribution. "That's exactly why the Department of Justice is involved in prosecuting these cases. People shouldn't lose site of that."

Despite the known dangers of HGH, the Drug Enforcement Administration doesn't patrol it, because HGH doesn't fall under the Controlled Substances Act.

"Lots of things would have to happen before this changes," said Rusty Payne, the DEA's public affairs officer. "Congress would have to get involved and three things would need to be evaluated: potential harm to user, availability and potential for addiction."

Payne said HGH won't fall under the DEA's jurisdiction any time soon but will likely follow the same evolution that anabolic steriods has taken since the 1980s, when they were not illegal.

So although the Department of Justice could bust you for having the intention to distribute the substance, HGH is still considered legal because it can be used for medicinal purposes.

Currently, the responsibility to regulate this medicinal substance falls into the hands of the Food and Drug Administration. Under the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, the FDA considers HGH a legal but pharmaceutical substance. The FDA has approved HGH for the treatment of certain diseases, like dwarfism, but not for anti-aging or other cosmetic uses.

The Internet has made it extremely easy for people to get their hands on HGH without a doctor's prescription. Wadler said there's a high level of interest in buying HGH over the Internet, and points to the thousands of Web sites that sell HGH.

On the Internet, HGH is typically marketed as an oral or nasal spray. And at about $60 a day, the HGH sold online is significantly cheaper than the true synthetic hormone, available by prescription and priced at $1,000 to $1,500 per daily injection.

doom3q

Banned
Awards

ABC News

Some High School and College Coaches Worry That Humane Growth Hormone Will Become Popular With Younger Athletes
By LESLIE YERANSIAN

Like creatine and steroids, HGH reduces fat and builds lean muscle...
So some coaches wonder if Grimsley will do for HGH what Jose Canseco did for steroids, and hope that the government works to clamp down on it.
ut Gary Wadler, a fellow at the American College of Sports Medicine, said the use of HGH could approach that of steroids.

On the Internet, HGH is typically marketed as an oral or nasal spray. And at about $60 a day, the HGH sold online is significantly cheaper than the true synthetic hormone, available by prescription and priced at $1,000 to $1,500 per daily injection.
Got a good laugh :icon_lol:

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established

:wtf: :wtf:

Where do they get this crap from? A grand a shot? They don't have my HMO apparently. I used to think that I would get use to stupidity on grand scales but that doesn't seam to be happening.

mccanej

Awards
is it really as dangerous as this news report claims ???

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok for one, it may be a threat, as I do talk to high school kids who come into my vitamin world... They are some who are very knowledgeable about Pro steroids,gh, insulin, and I had one kid who was telling me about his bud who did SD for 6mo and told me his pct as well. but the crazy thing was his buddy was 17. We have HS'ers on AM just because they cannot post on AM (anabolic wise), do not think they are not reading...
And I am not McCartneysizing the issue,as ABC is but be aware, kids do look for the edge, and education is the key. But overall, I think GH will be a major drawback for them, as it is very expensive unless, and can be faked very easliy. I know there are some rich assed kids whos parents dont take the time to find out whats in their room, and give 500 weekly allowances and stuff but thats very rare. The fact still remains Steroids will be easier to obtain and use than GH...

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yes, i am sure high school kids are pumped up on human growth hormone. ****ing idiots.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure a very select few maybe but hgh is verrry expensive. Plus it's needle form so alot of kids are scared on that. I'm sure SD is flowing around high schools like CRAZY!!!!

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
That was very bad journalism at it's finest!

"Like creatine and steroids," - Lumping creatine with steroids & hGH

"Not only do athletes use HGH, the hormone has been touted as a fountain of youth pill" - Maybe the author was paraphrasing, but hGH is not administered in pill form

"For example, Grimsley, who is 38, might produce the same amount of human growth hormone as a 25-year-old by taking the drug." - Administering hGH will actually shutdown endogenous production (which the author note later), not cause you to make more.

"A person could grow a tumor in the brain that results in the elongation of the skull, hands, feet, jaw and tongue;" - This sentence was a bit misleading. I assume the author is refering to a pituitary adenoma, which is not caused by exogenous GH, but causes an overproduction of endogenous GH.

"Other dangers of taking hGH, just as with steroids, are emotional instability and mood swings." - I have personally never taken hGH, but this one is news to me. Only changes in mood I have read of with hGH was an uplifted mood (when levels were low to begin).

Anything with quotes from Dr. Gary Wadler...

"The Internet has made it extremely easy for people to get their hands on HGH without a doctor's prescription. Wadler said there's a high level of interest in buying HGH over the Internet, and points to the thousands of Web sites that sell HGH.

On the Internet, HGH is typically marketed as an oral or nasal spray. And at about $60 a day, the HGH sold online is significantly cheaper than the true synthetic hormone, available by prescription and priced at $1,000 to $1,500 per daily injection"
. - This is so rediculously incorrect, I'm not sure how to respond to it... :blink: :think: Guess they are confusing it with the deer antler nasal sprays.

I also agree with Apowerz6's statement, and w/the cost of pharmaceutical hGH, I don't think it's going to be a "threat to our children" or a "wide-spread epidemic in our high schools."

BMW

Awards
  • Established
On the Internet, HGH is typically marketed as an oral or nasal spray. And at about $60 a day, the HGH sold online is significantly cheaper than the true synthetic hormone, available by prescription and priced at $1,000 to $1,500 per daily injection"

hmmm so let me get this straight if its a G a shot the for the min of 3months thats 90k pfffft yeah sure any teen im sure would have 90k sitting around in their rooms somewhere.... **** no amature athlete would use HGH for that price where do they get this ****?

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Somebody needs to create a good bodybuilding newsletter, newspaper or magazine that gets loads of publicity so the real facts can be known.

RSX-S

Board Supporter
Awards
You know what get me, is that they keep quoting, "Kids are going to use HGh and steroids, blah blah blah." Well, alot of younger kids wouldn't even think about them if they weren't plastered in every freaking news article you read.

For instance, my GF's brother is 11 years old. Waaaaaay to young to even know about steroids. Well, I have a decent build on me and he calls me "buff", but he asked my GF if I take steroids like Barry Bonds. Now, how the **** did he find out about them?!?! The media of course.

If the media really gave a **** about keeping these things away from children, they wouldn't put it all over the news every day.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Can't say that I needed that image while eating oatmeal for lunch.
my sincere apologies.. I was just enraged at the time and that seemed to be my only recourse. :bb2:

I can't say that it helped, because I'm even more angry that I have trouble typing now.. I will spare you the graphic details.

I agree with RSX-1, but that is the problem for much of our society I feel. I like independent media, but the conglomerate juggernaut networks, are bloated and puppetted by evil puppeteers with their own infamous "agenda".. forcefeeding "pop culture" and what not..... Soda manufacturers and Shoe companies run the world it seems..

Now misinformed negative press just makes the situation more dire, and defeats their seemingly good intentions by bringing curiousity up for teens.

Wait, what the hell did I just say?