Flaxseed Downregulates IGF While Tren Upregulates

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Effects of flax supplementation and a combined trenbolone acetate and estradiol implant on circulating insulin-like growth factor-I and muscle insulin-like growth factor-I messenger RNA levels in beef cattle.

Dunn JD, Johnson BJ, Kayser JP, Waylan AT, Sissom EK, Drouillard JS.

Department of Animal Sciences and Industry, Kansas State University, Manhattan 66506, USA.

We evaluated effects of a 5% (dry matter basis) ground flaxseed supplement (flax) and a trenbolone acetate and estradiol-17beta implant, Revalor-S, on circulating IGF-I and muscle IGF-I messenger RNA (mRNA). Sixteen crossbred yearling steers (initial BW = 397 kg) were assigned randomly to one of four treatments: 1) flax/implant; 2) nonflax/implant; 3) flax/nonimplant; and 4) nonflax/nonimplant. Serum was harvested from blood collected on d 0 (before implant or flax addition), 14, and 28, and used in subsequent analyses of circulating IGF-I. Biopsy samples (0.5 g) were obtained from the longissimus muscle on d 0, 14, and 28. Total RNA was isolated from the muscle samples, and real-time quantitative-PCR was used to assess relative differences in IGF-I mRNA. Flax supplementation had no effect (P > 0.10) on circulating IGF-I concentrations. Following implantation, sera from implanted steers had 52 and 84% greater (P < 0.05) IGF-I concentrations than sera from nonimplanted steers on d 14 and 28, respectively. On d 28, local muscle IGF-I mRNA levels increased 2.4-fold (P < 0.01) in biopsy samples obtained from implanted compared with nonimplanted steers. Muscle biopsy samples from nonflax cattle had 4.4-fold higher (P < 0.01) levels of IGF-I mRNA than those from flax cattle on d 28. To determine whether a component of flax, alpha-linolenic acid (alphaLA), was directly responsible for IGF-I mRNA down-regulation, we incubated primary cultures of bovine satellite cells, from implanted and nonimplanted steers, in two concentrations of alphaLA (10 nM and 1 microM). An implant x dose interaction (P < 0.05) was observed for IGF-I mRNA concentrations in bovine satellite cells cultured for 72 h with alphaLA. Satellite cells from nonimplanted steers had similar (P > 0.10) IGF-I mRNA concentration regardless of the level of alphaLA exposure; however, satellite cells from implanted steers exposed to 10 nM and 1 microM alphaLA had 2.5- and 2.0-fold greater IGF-I mRNA levels, respectively, than cells from implanted steers that were not exposed to alphaLA (P < 0.05). Administration of a Revalor-S implant increased circulating IGF-I and local muscle IGF-I mRNA concentrations in finishing cattle. However, muscle IGF-I mRNA levels were decreased by flax supplementation. Muscle cell culture experiments suggested that alphaLA was not responsible for the IGF-I mRNA down-regulation.

PMID: 14677858 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

M

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
Funny, this reminds me of reading a few posts where Beelzebub says that IGF didn't do jack sh1t for him....Have you seen the amount of flax oil that guy consumes?.....I wonder if this somewhat explains his non-responsiveness?

(on a different note, is non-responsiveness even a word?)

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Funny, this reminds me of reading a few posts where Beelzebub says that IGF didn't do jack sh1t for him....Have you seen the amount of flax oil that guy consumes?.....I wonder if this somewhat explains his non-responsiveness?

(on a different note, is non-responsiveness even a word?)
No because the kind he took was LR3 IGF-1 not hIGF-1Ea

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Sigh, flax is good for you. Flax is bad for you. I guess this just underscores how complicated physiology is.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
cant go wrong with fish oil.

i will be adding igf-1 lr3 to my hamster tren+test cycle we shall see how it goes for him.

C

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Tren is the gift that keeps on giving :head: