IGF and diabetes

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
Lots of studies but no real info. has anyone had any real world results or knowledge? Now that I can get the stuff really cheap I am looking into it hard esp given the lipid benifits of running it in diabetics.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
What exactly are you asking Skye?

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
do we have information about diabetics using IGF in a manner that we would use it. most of the studies are using IGF-1( would explain why they were discontinued) What I am hoping is that some has or knows some one that has diabetes and had some kind of results. There are quite a few diabetes that are also steroid users so it is just a matter of time before someone does.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
do we have information about diabetics using IGF in a manner that we would use it. most of the studies are using IGF-1( would explain why they were discontinued) What I am hoping is that some has or knows some one that has diabetes and had some kind of results. There are quite a few diabetes that are also steroid users so it is just a matter of time before someone does.
Hmm this is an interesting subject. I will look through some lit. today and see if I can find out. First thought would be, "that is nuts" but then when I think more into it, it might actually work. It does bind weakly to the insulin receptor so it would be competing with insulin. However, this doesn't really matter in the case of diabetics as they are injecting their own insulin anyways. Plus IGF-1 on its own raises insulin sensitivity.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
Hmm this is an interesting subject. I will look through some lit. today and see if I can find out. First thought would be, "that is nuts" but then when I think more into it, it might actually work. It does bind weakly to the insulin receptor so it would be competing with insulin. However, this doesn't really matter in the case of diabetics as they are injecting their own insulin anyways. Plus IGF-1 on its own raises insulin sensitivity.
actually they had some big names in the pharm industry looking at using IGF-1 as a means of controling diabetes. Just recently the drug people caught up with body builders and have been looking at IGF LR3. So almost all the studies have been with IGF-1. This has made it hard to get a idea of what it actually will do.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I've read about that. It is one of the reasons they came out with LR3 IGF-1 believe it or not. Something to do with the half life being longer.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm type2, and it actually helped get my blood glucose down quite considerably..

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
WHOA there is someone I haven't seen in a long time. That is intersting though.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
I'm type2, and it actually helped get my blood glucose down quite considerably..
Any chance I could get you to post your cycle info? were there any adverse affects when you came off?

Thanks LakeMountD, that is actually more consise then what I have from the ada.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Any chance I could get you to post your cycle info? were there any adverse affects when you came off?

Thanks LakeMountD, that is actually more consise then what I have from the ada.
C'mon man would I do you any different? ;) :thumbsup:

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

I only ran 1mg 5 on 2 off @ 20mcg PWO.. My glucose reading went back up to 175mg/dl afterwards, during the run it stayed steady at 96-102mg/dl.. Only other products I use for my condition are:

500mg generic metformin sustained release
2g R-ala
300mg Cinnulin PF

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I only ran 1mg 5 on 2 off @ 20mcg PWO.. My glucose reading went back up to 175mg/dl afterwards, during the run it stayed steady at 96-102mg/dl.. Only other products I use for my condition are:

2g R-ala
300mg Cinnulin PF
Yeah 100 mg/dl seems to be the norm for 20mcg of LR3. Very interesting, thanks BPF, haven't seen ya around much lately.

same_old

Banned
Awards
  • Established

2g R-ala
300mg Cinnulin PF
so your average (non-IGF) BG is 175mg/dl on a daily basis, even with glucophage?

i assume you used the glucophage with the IGF, right?

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
so your average (non-IGF) BG is 175mg/dl on a daily basis, even with glucophage?

i assume you used the glucophage with the IGF, right?
On a daily basis my bg is between 145-189mg/dl.. Any higher in my dose of metformin it screws with my blood pressure, so I stay on a conservative dose, and take lots of R-ala and Cinnulin-PF.. With the extra supps, my bg is now around 130..

same_old

Banned
Awards
  • Established
On a daily basis my bg is between 145-189mg/dl.. Any higher in my dose of metformin it screws with my blood pressure, so I stay on a conservative dose, and take lots of R-ala and Cinnulin-PF.. With the extra supps, my bg is now around 130..
and it fell to ~100 with IGF - that is really interesting...especially looking at my recent IGF-spiked carb depletion period where i was on IGF but taking in next to no carbs, but feeling great and never being hypo.

anybody know what happens to a diabetic in ketosis who takes insulin?

i'm having trouble synthesizing this into a congruent theory...

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
and it fell to ~100 with IGF - that is really interesting...especially looking at my recent IGF-spiked carb depletion period where i was on IGF but taking in next to no carbs, but feeling great and never being hypo.

That depends on what is causing the ketosis. if its an insulin problem ( usually in type 1) then it would help solve the problem, stop the incomplete combustion so to speak. if its because of the diet he is on then he will tend to get sick like anyone else. To give you an idea up to the last half of the 20th century a treatment schedule for a type 1 or bad type 2 would include nothing to eat except a quart of whiskey. I am not kidding. They did this to provide empty calories while attempting to reduce the serum blood sugar level. And to some extent it worked. Going into ketosis is kind of like that, diabetics can reduce the insulin they need considerably. Of course I don't know of anyone that has ever done that (intentionally at any rate) so I am just going off what I understand the mechanisms to be.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Like Skye said it depends on what the scenario is. A diabetic with insufficient insulin prooduction will not be able to metabolize glucose and will turn to ketosis for energy while the glucose builds up in the blood. Taking insulin would remedy the problem. Basic insulin therapy.

EDIT: I see now what you are looking at...

A diabetic with adequate baseline insulin control (your body always has a baseline output) who is in ketosis due to a keto diet will go hypo if they take extra insulin without the corresponding amount of food.

As for why you did not go hypo with IGF on a keto diet, here are a few factors to consider:
- IGF is not insulin, it may not lower blood glucose as much.
- Your body can compensate for mild hypoglycemia without exhibiting symptoms.
- Protein and fat can raise blood glucose and may have been sufficient to offset the IGF.

HTH

Last edited:

same_old

Banned
Awards
  • Established
EDIT: I see now what you are looking at...

A diabetic with adequate baseline insulin control (your body always has a baseline output) who is in ketosis due to a keto diet will go hypo if they take extra insulin without the corresponding amount of food.

As for why you did not go hypo with IGF on a keto diet, here are a few factors to consider:
- IGF is not insulin, it may not lower blood glucose as much.
- Your body can compensate for mild hypoglycemia without exhibiting symptoms.
- Protein and fat can raise blood glucose and may have been sufficient to offset the IGF.

HTH
thanks for understanding where i was going...and thanks for clarifying that my lack of hypo wasnt some sort of anomaly.

ScienceGuy #420

Awards
New here, first post...

I am a type 1 diabetic (since <1 year old, now 21) and very interested in seeing what effects IGF-1 would have on myself; both in my appearance and especially biochemically. I will be more than happy to post any immediate results that I experience. Thanks.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
New here, first post...

I am a type 1 diabetic (since <1 year old, now 21) and very interested in seeing what effects IGF-1 would have on myself; both in my appearance and especially biochemically. Fortunately a free bottle with the freeze-dried peptide just appeared in my pocket, woohoo for me. Unfortunately I want to sift through some more reports/publications before I do anything. Any precautions aside from the obvious stuff? Does anyone here know what I should dissolve it in? I figure some serial dilutions with water would be ok. I will be more than happy to post any immediate results that I experience. I wouldn't plan on doing a whole month-long cycle either, just a few injections to see what happens. Thanks.
Read up some more first. Some of the IGF that has been floating around is potentally dangerous and should not be used. The most common thing to reconsitute it in is acetic acid. (check the board sponsers.) I don't know that a few injections would do anything and it doesn't keep that long after your mix it so I would be sure of what you want to do before you start.