Effects of hGH, IGF-1, and Diet and Exercise on Body Composition

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
The group used an equivalent of 1230mcg of rhIGF-1 (this is NOT the same as LR3 IGF-1) and 2050mcg of hGH.

Effects of Human Growth Hormone, Insulin-Like Growth Factor I, and Diet and Exercise on Body Composition of Obese Postmenopausal Women

J. L. Thompson, G. E. Butterfield, U. K. Gylfadottir, J. Yesavage, R. Marcus, R. L. Hintz, A. Pearman and A. R. Hoffman

Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center and Medical Service, Veterans Affairs Health Care System (J.L.T., G.E.B., U.K.G., J.Y., R.M., A.P., A.R.H.), Palo Alto, California 94304; the Departments of Medicine and Pediatrics, Stanford University (R.M., R.L.H., A.R.H.), Stanford, California 94305

Address all correspondence and requests for reprints to: Andrew R. Hoffman, VA Medical Center, 3801 Miranda Ave., Palo Alto, California 94304; Email: [email protected].

To determine the effects of GH and insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) administration, diet, and exercise on weight loss, body composition, basal metabolic rate (BMR), muscle strength, and psychological status, 33 moderately obese postmenopausal women (67.1 ± 5.2 yr) participated in a 12-week randomized, double blind study. Participants were placed on a diet that provided 500 Cal/day less than that needed for weight maintenance, and they walked 3 days and strength trained 2 days each week. Subjects also self-injected GH (0.025 mg/kg BW·day), IGF-I (0.015 mg/kg BW·day), a combination of these doses of GH and IGF-I, or placebo (P). Twenty-eight women completed the study, as five subjects dropped out due to intolerable side-effects (e.g. edema). Weight loss occurred in all groups, with the largest decrease occurring in the GH plus IGF-I group (5.6 ± 1.4 kg). Fat mass significantly decreased in all groups, with the largest losses observed in GH and GH plus IGF-I groups (6.3 ± 1.8 and 8.4 ± 2.8 kg, respectively). Despite weight loss, BMR was maintained in all groups. Muscle strength increased with training for all groups, and depression and anxiety scores decreased in groups receiving IGF-I. These data show that obese postmenopausal women can lose weight and fat without compromising fat free mass, BMR, or gains in muscle strength, and that GH and IGF-I given together may enhance fat loss over either given alone.

Full Text
http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/83/5/1477

Attachments

Schwaugher

Awards
Subjects also self-injected GH (0.025 mg/kg BW·day), IGF-I (0.015 mg/kg BW·day)
Holly hell thats a high dose, or does that form of IGF-1 require a much higher dose?

You'll have to double check my math but for me to use the dosing schemes, my GH dose would = 2.275 mg/day and the IGF-1 dose would = 1.365 mg/day. That's seems like an awful lot.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Holly hell thats a high dose, or does that form of IGF-1 require a much higher dose?

You'll have to double check my math but for me to use the dosing schemes, my GH dose would = 2.275 mg/day and the IGF-1 dose would = 1.365 mg/day. That's seems like an awful lot.

If you would have read the very first sentence in my post lol you would have seen the math that I had already done haha.

But yes rhIGF-1 has such a short half life that higher dosages are often needed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IGF-1/GH 3
Anabolics 12
IGF-1/GH 5
Supplements 21
IGF-1/GH 0