Targeted Overexpression of IGF-I Evokes Distinct Patterns of Organ Remodeling

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Targeted Overexpression of IGF-I Evokes Distinct Patterns of Organ Remodeling in Smooth Muscle Cell Tissue Beds of Transgenic Mice

Jianwei Wang*, Wen Niu*, Yuri Nikiforov*, Shinji Naito*, Steven ChernausekDagger , David Witte§, Derek LeRoithpar , Arthur Strauch¶, and James A. Fagin*

* Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Dagger Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, § Division of Pediatric Pathology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267; par Diabetes Branch, National Institutes of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892; and ¶ Department of Cell Biology, Neurobiology and Anatomy, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210

Smooth muscle cells (SMC) of the vascular wall, bladder, myometrium, and gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts retain the ability to proliferate postnatally, which enables adaptive responses to injury, hormonal, or mechanical stimulation. SMC growth is regulated by a number of mesenchymal growth factors, including insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I). To explore the function of IGF-I on SMC in vivo, the mouse SMC alpha -actin promoter fragment SMP8 (-1074 bp, 63 bp of 5'UT and 2.5 kb of intron 1) was cloned upstream of rat IGF-I cDNA, and the fusion gene microinjected to fertilized eggs of the FVB-N mouse strain. Mating of hemizygous mice with controls produced about 50% transgenic offspring, with equal sex distribution. Transgenic IGF-I mRNA expression was confined to SMC-containing tissues, with the following hierarchy: bladder > stomach > aorta = uterus > intestine. There was no transgene expression in skeletal muscle, heart, or liver. Radioimmunoassayable IGF-I content was increased by 3.5- to 4-fold in aorta, and by almost 10-fold in bladder of transgenic mice at 5 and 10 wk, with no change in plasma IGF-I levels. Wet weight of bladder, stomach, intestine, uterus, and aorta was selectively increased, with no change in total body or carcass weight of transgenic animals. In situ hybridization showed that transgene expression was exquisitely targeted to the smooth muscle layers of the arteries, veins, bladder, ureter, stomach, intestine, and uterus. Paracrine overproduction of IGF-I resulted in hyperplasia of the muscular layers of these tissues, manifesting in remarkably different phenotypes in the various SMC beds. Whereas the muscular layer of the bladder and stomach exhibited a concentric thickening, the SMC of the intestine and uterus grew in a longitudinal fashion, resulting in a marked lengthening of the small bowel and of the uterine horns. This report describes the first successful targeting of expression of any functional protein capable of modifying the phenotype of SMC in transgenic mice. IGF-I stimulates SMC hyperplasia, leading to distinct patterns of organ remodeling in the different tissue environments.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Scaaaarey. I've relagated my IGF use for serious injuries only because these studies keep popping up. IMO, when one has a lot of exposed receptors for the exogenous IGF to adhere to..you should be ok in terms of avoiding organ growth if used for a short duration. Given that the effects of IGF for bodybuilding seem to be fairly subtle..and expensive..I am not using it for that application anymore.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Scaaaarey. I've relagated my IGF use for serious injuries only because these studies keep popping up. IMO, when one has a lot of exposed receptors for the exogenous IGF to adhere to..you should be ok in terms of avoiding organ growth if used for a short duration. Given that the effects of IGF for bodybuilding seem to be fairly subtle..and expensive..I am not using it for that application anymore.

Yeah, although you have to remember that people use hGH for very long periods of time and although they do see some growth, it isn't bad enough that the gains weren't worth it in my opinion.

I mainly posted this here to show people why extended use of IGF-1 on its own can have side effects that can be minimized by limited use. I will continue to use IGF-1 at lower dosages for 4 week periods but will definitely limit the amount of times I use it per year.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So theoretically this could enlarge your reproductive system as well?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yeah!
I'm injecting IGF into my d*ck and balls!
:woohoo:

Ronn38

Awards
Dose the use of IGF1 rather than IGF1LR3 have any baring on the conclusions? I guess a reluctant to abandon the long term/low dose idea...
Ronn