badbart

Awards
  • Established
http://www.gotfina.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31

This study makes i sound no worth it to me:

GH and the athlete
(Not sure who wrote this,
originally posted by P.S.)

I've never been sure why the use of GH has become popular in athletes and bodybuilders. Perhaps it's the name... Growth Hormone. Sounds like it'll make me big. Or perhaps it's the legend of Pump de Leon. Either way, the research on GH use in bodybuilders and men on resistance training programs has shown it to be all but useless. And this is probably due to the feedback mechanisms like the negative feedback on the pituitary and the GH resistance discussed earlier.

In two landmark GH studies conducted at the Washington University School of Medicine, a world-renowned GH researcher named Kevin Yarasheski studied the effects of GH in combination with weight training (Yarasheski 1992, 1993).

In the first study, 18 untrained men were given either GH and exercise or placebo and exercise for 12 weeks. GH subjects were given 40 micrograms/kg of recombinant GH and all subjects were evaluated before and after treatment for fat mass, fat free mass, total body water, whole body protein synthesis, insulin sensitivity, muscle size and muscle strength. Due to the development of carpal tunnel syndrome, 2 subjects were forced to withdraw from the study.

When comparing the GH+exercise group with the placebo+exercise group, the data showed that there was no fat loss, no change in insulin sensitivity, no increase in muscle size, and no increase in strength! Whole body protein synthesis was increased in the GH group relative to the placebo, but muscle protein synthesis wasn't. In addition, lean body mass was increased, but again, this wasn't muscle mass, but probably a combination of water retention, organ mass, and connective tissue instead. The researchers, who seemed quite objective in their conclusions, decided that non-muscle proteins were being formed instead of muscle contractile protein.

In the follow-up study, Dr. Yarasheski pursued the effects of GH on experienced weight-lifters. Since the GH didn't positively impact strength or body comp in the untrained guys, Dr. Yarasheski wondered if well-trained athletes might be different. So another study was conducted to examine protein synthetic rates in GH-treated athletes. After 2 weeks of GH treatment (40micrograms/kg), the data were clear that short term GH had no effect on whole body protein synthesis or breakdown. The reason they chose 2 weeks was that in a number of previous studies on clinical populations, any increases in protein synthesis had only lasted for about a month and then ceased due to some type of down-regulation (Perhaps GH insensitivity?). In this population, however, GH didn't even promote protein synthesis within this time frame.

With all this negative data, it should be mentioned that one study showed something positive happening, but again, it wasn't all that exciting (Crist 1988). This particular study showed a small 4% gain in lean body mass and a modest 12% loss in body fat with GH doses of 8IU per day (2.6 milligrams). Muscle mass wasn't measured, so there was no way to determine the make-up of the increased LMB (lean body mass).

So it's pretty apparent that in weight trained men, GH alone doesn't increase muscle mass. Resulting lean mass gains from GH treatment are probably a combo of water, connective tissue, or organ mass. I say probably because organ mass and connective tissue mass are hard to measure. The indirect evidence is pretty strong, though.

Since non-muscle protein gains and the development of carpal tunnel syndrome (due to growth in the connective tissue sheath in the wrist) were apparent in these studies, connective tissue gain is a reasonable speculation. In addition, acromegaly patients have increased organ mass as a result of the high responsiveness to GH, so it would stand to reason that this could have occurred in these studies, too.

The next logical question is this: Since a lot of guys are still using GH, what are the implications of increased organ mass and connective tissue? Well, to be honest, we don't know.

Acromegaly patients do not have high rates of organ malfunction or pathophysiology, so although growing large organs isn't ideal, the current literature doesn't indicate that the problem is immediately life-threatening. But, acromegaly patients do die prematurely, so if they were to live longer, perhaps these organ changes could have long-term impact.

As far as the issue of increases in connective tissue, the increases themselves may not be too terrible, as long as they don't become pathophysiological. Of course, developing carpel tunnel syndrom is no picnic. On the other hand, if the strength of connective tissue increases with connective tissue growth, athletes could become more injury-resistant. Connective tissue growth will not lead to strength increases in well-trained guys if contractile protein mass doesn't go up, but these connective tissue increases may allow individuals to train with heavier weights with less risk of injury. This, however, merely results from me taking off the "science hat" and speculating a bit.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Eh. I'm no expert in HGH, however you have to keep in mind that it took "science" nearly 50 years to definitively prove that AAS's actually cause muscle growth..and I'm a biologist so I've no illusions as to the sanctity of 2-3 negative studies.

This statement is ambiguous and potentially misleading...

"his particular study showed a small 4% gain in lean body mass and a modest 12% loss in body fat with GH doses of 8IU per day (2.6 milligrams). Muscle mass wasn't measured, so there was no way to determine the make-up of the increased LMB (lean body mass)."

Ummm, a 4% gain in total LBM and 12% loss of BF is not something to sneeze at, particularly after 2 weeks. As you know HGH is a long term kinda thing. The author is downplaying something rather significant here, methinks.

All in all, I think the reasons to use HGH are well represented by the BBing community and anecdotal reports. It makes people feel good, sleep well, recover well, stay leaner and have nice skin...if you've got these things going for you, you can train and diet even more effectively due to motivational and emotional stability. High level training goes nowhere without those two things..believe me,lol.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I agree Bioman, they also don't take into consideration that GH will cause hyperplasia which should get you better results for the long term.

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
Eh. I'm no expert in HGH, however you have to keep in mind that it took "science" nearly 50 years to definitively prove that AAS's actually cause muscle growth..and I'm a biologist so I've no illusions as to the sanctity of 2-3 negative studies.

This statement is ambiguous and potentially misleading...

"his particular study showed a small 4% gain in lean body mass and a modest 12% loss in body fat with GH doses of 8IU per day (2.6 milligrams). Muscle mass wasn't measured, so there was no way to determine the make-up of the increased LMB (lean body mass)."

Ummm, a 4% gain in total LBM and 12% loss of BF is not something to sneeze at, particularly after 2 weeks. As you know HGH is a long term kinda thing. The author is downplaying something rather significant here, methinks.

All in all, I think the reasons to use HGH are well represented by the BBing community and anecdotal reports. It makes people feel good, sleep well, recover well, stay leaner and have nice skin...if you've got these things going for you, you can train and diet even more effectively due to motivational and emotional stability. High level training goes nowhere without those two things..believe me,lol.
I agree, 4% gain in total LBM is damn good imo. Thats 8lbs on 200lbs of LBM. And 12% loss in BF sounds quite nice too.

GH certainly will have more subtle attributes, but I believe it is worth it. I have poked around on pubmed searching for gh stuff quite a bit and have read numerous studies where gh showed to produce favorable results.

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
I agree, 4% gain in total LBM is damn good imo. Thats 8lbs on 200lbs of LBM. And 12% loss in BF sounds quite nice too.

GH certainly will have more subtle attributes, but I believe it is worth it. I have poked around on pubmed searching for gh stuff quite a bit and have read numerous studies where gh showed to produce favorable results.
I agree I'm just doing research to try to put together a cycle with very keepable gains. Even if the gains are not big I'd rather do a cycle of lean keepable gains then have the yo yo effect. Off subject: But I'm thinking of a long Finigenx cycle may followed by PCT with Oratropon-1.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have never used gh so take this as you may, but knowing a couple national level competitors personally growth is a necessity if you want to be freaky huge. One of the competitors I see and talk to every day. He uses actually a lot smaller amount of aas than you would think. The amount of growth he uses would send your jaw through the floor. My girlfriends ex is a national level competitor. He told her once you hit a certain level in competition you HAVE to use it. They all do. The amounts they use are far more than you would think too. Remember also they use these extremely high dosages in combination with slin, igf, and aas. Matter of fact my gf ex and the other at my gym now never touch igf as shocking as that seems.

Another thing that seems weird to me is BigCAt at BB.com in his steroid profiles states in his opinion that gh is a royal waste of money. He also stated in the late 80's early 90's growth started becoming popular in bodybuilding. Around that specific time is when the mass monster bodybuilders like Dorian for example started to show up. Also big cat himself states he had never seen anyone use 10-12 IU's of growth. Although in theory this high a dose should cause hyperplasia. He then adds that top professionals are using 10-12 IU's. How that doesn't prove the tremendous effects of gh I don't know.

Like I said I am not a pro. And I don't think unless you know one pretty well personally one will sit down and tell you how much they use. The ones I know personally do use gh and swear that you cannot be that big without it.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
I think that most will agree that GH isn't really considered a mass builder per se... It's best when taken with AAS as they work synergistically together. Both studies in the article were for 12 weeks and 2 weeks, way too short a timeframe for gh.