More compounds coming soon for diabetes...

1. Banned

More compounds coming soon for diabetes...

On the Insulin front, I've been reading up on some of the new diabetes treatments coming out. Here's a little article that talks about some of them:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=47581

Whereas metformin (Glucophage) is a drug that increases insulin sensitivity, GLP-1 is a peptidal hormone which tells your body to produce more insulin. You can think of it as an insulin regulatory factor. Another hormone in your body, DPP-4 (Dipepidyl Peptidase-IV) is responsible for breaking down GLP-1. There are basically 2 new types of drugs out there in addition to metformin and they are all based around this seperate process.

First off, there are synthetic forms of GLP-1 which must be injected. Currently they require 2xday injections. The biggest reason for this is because of DPP-4. Thus the reason for the second drug type. DPP-4 inhibitors inhibit DPP-4 (duh) and thus prevent it from breaking down GLP-1. The end result is, GLP-1 stays active for longer and thus you produce more insulin.

If you are interested in looking up info, Vildagliptin, the one compound I am more familiar with, also goes by the name LAF237 IIRC.

In any case, us crazy bodybuilding folks will soon have more weapons in the insulin arsenal available. The new DPP-4 inhibitors so far seem to be very safe, but to my knowledge most have only recently begun Phase III, I would highly recommend waiting until more data is available.

2. Banned

Wow, no comments. Would have thought you guys would be jumping all over new compounds that are coming out seeing as how they seem hold a great deal of potential.

rGLP-1 in particular looks great since studies with it have shown dramatic weight loss. Weight loss + increased insulin I would think would be a dream come true for lots of folks here. The biggest concern I have with insulin is the typical fat gain.
  3. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    Wow, no comments. Would have thought you guys would be jumping all over new compounds that are coming out seeing as how they seem hold a great deal of potential.

rGLP-1 in particular looks great since studies with it have shown dramatic weight loss. Weight loss + increased insulin I would think would be a dream come true for lots of folks here. The biggest concern I have with insulin is the typical fat gain.
    Oh, I've read.. just don't have anything useful to add..

But you peaked my interest with rGLP-1... The part about Dramatic weight loss.. imperticular..
    •   

4. Banned

It was stated in a related article:

This is Dr. Ruchi Mathur updating you from the American Diabetes Associations 65th Scientific Symposia. As promised in my last update, some interesting facts about a new drug that has it’s origins in the saliva of a desert lizard.

The Gila monster can go for prolonged periods without eating. When studied it was found to produce a protein that helped to slow the emptying of its stomach- so it stayed full for extended periods. This protein is very similar to one that human’s make- called GLP-1. Well, researchers have now made a synthetic GLP-1, which has recently been FDA approved for the treatment of diabetes . It is called Exenetide, and marketed under the name Byetta. This injectable medication slows stomach emptying, increases a feeling of fullness, reduces glucagon release from the liver (glucagons causes the release of sugar from the liver into the blood stream) and may help the cells that produce insulin in the pancreas live longer.

These attributes of Exenitide have been known and extensively studied. What has not been unknown (until now) is whether there is any improvement in cardiovascular risk factors with this therapy. The first data looking at this question was presented this afternoon. It included subjects on Byetta for up to 82 weeks. There was a decrease in systolic and diastolic blood pressure, though modest. More interestingly, there was a significant weight loss that occurred inpatients treated with Byetta, and this weight loss was sustained- or actually continued to accrue out to 82 weeks. In some patients this weight loss was as much as 24 pounds. When compared, patients who lost the most weight had a more significant drop in their triglycerides and a more significant increase in their HDL, or good cholesterol.

Here's a study for example:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...997&query_hl=2
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

*subscribes* Nothing to add, but just wanna let ya know I enjoyed the thread
  6. Board Supporter

I'm not sure if thats good or bad...

In a sense it's good that your food releases slower over a longer period of time (better sustained anabolism, potentially great for night time imperticular)... But the down size is you may not be hungry to eat, I'm assuming thats why it showed dramatic and long term weightloss, Test subjects just weren't as hungry?

I'd imagine fat gain is still a large threat if your were able to over come the lack of appetite, and pack down them calories...
  7. Banned

Prolonged release, and control of insulin production seems like this has MAJOR potential as a nighttime injection. Inject, down a bunch of protein and carbs, then go to sleep. Your body will crank out insulin over an extended period of time gradually storing the protein you consumed. In all likelihood, more of it will be used for muscle repair and muscle building and less for fat storage since there won't be a huge influx all at once.

In this respect, the relatively short halflife is a good thing. By morning it will have worn off so your appetite won't be suppressed.
  8. Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Interesting stuff...
  9. Syr
    Hot Italian Goldmember

pinning 2/day
  10. Registered User

This sounds similar to a new drug that has already been released call Symlin, a synthetic amylin.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Coming Soon: New Clearshot - 8oz...25% more potent!
    By rampage jackson in forum E-Pharm Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 06:53 AM
  2. NutraPro Naturals Coming Soon...More info inside!
    By stryder in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 11:20 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 03:47 PM
  4. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 10:16 AM
  5. More AX products coming soon...
    By stryder in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-16-2005, 12:04 AM