DHEA increase IGF-1 levels and decrease IGFBP

french_muscle

Awards
  • Established
I came across this interesting article ....

One of the most exciting results of 1990's DHEA research has been the discovery that it may enhance insulin-like growth factor -1 (IGF-1) release. IGF-1 (formerly called "Somatomedin C") is the "hidden anabolic power behind the throne" of growth hormone. Growth hormone stimulates the liver to produce and release IGF-1. It is the IGF-1 that then circulates through the bloodstream and leads to the anabolic (tissue-building) actions growth hormone gets credit for. (19)
The Morales/Yen study previously referred to under ENERGY & WELL-BEING above, also found significant increases in both men and women in IGF-1 status. "DHEA replacement induced an approximately 10% rise in serum IGF-1 levels and an approximately 19% decline in IGFBP-1 [IGF-1 binding protein] levels, resulting in an IGF-1/IGFBP-1 ratio by 50% in both men and women." (19) The authors also remark that the increased IGF-1/IGFBP-1 ratios suggest "an increased bioavailability of IGF-1 to target tissues." (19)

Yen, Morales and Khorram conducted a one year double-blind placebo-controlled crossover experiment with 100 mg DHEA with 16 men and women, age 50-65 years. A significant increase in IGF-1 levels occurred in both men and women after 6 months' DHEA treatment, while IGF-1 levels dropped below baseline levels during placebo. Men gained approximately 20% in IGF-1, while women gained about 30% in serum IGF-1. The relative increase in IGF-1 was greater in those with low DHEA-S levels at baseline. (31)

The Jakubowicz study previously mentioned under INSULIN also found a significant increase in IGF-1 from 100 mg DHEA nightly for 30 days. "Serum IGF-1 increased from 96.7 to 183ng/ml (p<0.001). Serum concentration of IGF-1 did not change in the placebo group." (14)

In the Khorram study previously mentioned under IMMUNE ASPECTS, 50 mg DHEA daily for 20 weeks also led to increased IGF-1. Khorram et al note that "DHEA administration resulted in a 20% increase (p < 0.01) in serum IGF-1m a decreasing trend in IGFBP-1, and a 32% increase in the ratio of IGF-1 /IGFBP-1 (p< 0.01)." (10) The authors also report a 4-fold increase in the DHEA-S/cortisol ratio. (10) As will become evident shortly, this major increase in DHEA-S/cortisol ratio may hold the key to many of DHEA's diverse benefits.

In 1995 E. Bernton and colleagues reported their results from testing U.S. Army Ranger School trainees during their gruelling training, which included a loss of 8-15% of bodyweight over 8 weeks from intentional caloric deprivation and continuous physical work, limitation of sleep to 4 hours per night, and long exposures to extreme environments.

They reported a decrease in mean salivary DHEA/cortisol ratio from 0.076 to 0.041 (p< 0.001), and a mean decrease of serum IGF-1 of 60% during Ranger training, while growth hormone increased 4-fold, "reflecting a dissociation of growth hormone from IGF-1 secretion, attributable in part to negative [food] energy balance and high cortisol levels. In vivo, IGF-1 levels are therefore increased by glucocorticoids [i.e. cortisol] and increased by DHEA. We hypothesize that tissue ratios of DHEA to cortisol may regulate IGF-1 secretion in stressed individuals such as ranger trainees." (25)

-------
19) Morales, A. et al (1994) "Effects of replacement dose of dehydroepiandrosterone in men and women of advancing age" J Clin Endocrinol Metab 78: 1360-67.

31) Yen, S.S.C. et al (1995) "Replacement of DHEA in aging men and women" Ann NY Acad Sci 774: 128-42.

25) Bernton, E. et al (1995) "Adaptation to chronic stress in military trainees" Ann NY Acad Sci 774: 217-31.

14) Jakubowicz, D. et al (1995) "Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone on cyclic-guanosine monophosphate in age-advanced men" Ann NY Acad Sci 774: 312-15.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Very interesting. So one could just stack some DHEA with a GH cycle to receive the benefits of the know synergy of GH and IGF-1...

Hmmm....

PS: french, mail me i have a nifty thing for you.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
True if you are 50 - 65 years old.

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
I doubt the Army Ranger trainees were 50-60 years old.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Did I miss something?

I am sorry but I don't see where they said they tested DHEA on Army Rangers.

Edamacate me please.

CROWLER

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
In 1995 E. Bernton and colleagues reported their results from testing U.S. Army Ranger School trainees during their gruelling training, which included a loss of 8-15% of bodyweight over 8 weeks from intentional caloric deprivation and continuous physical work, limitation of sleep to 4 hours per night, and long exposures to extreme environments.

They reported a decrease in mean salivary DHEA/cortisol ratio from 0.076 to 0.041 (p< 0.001), and a mean decrease of serum IGF-1 of 60% during Ranger training, while growth hormone increased 4-fold, "reflecting a dissociation of growth hormone from IGF-1 secretion, attributable in part to negative [food] energy balance and high cortisol levels. In vivo, IGF-1 levels are therefore increased by glucocorticoids [i.e. cortisol] and increased by DHEA. We hypothesize that tissue ratios of DHEA to cortisol may regulate IGF-1 secretion in stressed individuals such as ranger trainees." (25)

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established

Ok I must be pretty dense cause I am still not seeing where they gave the guys DHEA. Even if they did how does it relate in ANY way to 20 - 30 year old guys who workout and want to gain muslce?

I see where if you WAY over train, are exposed to extreme temps and lack of sleep you lose DHEA. Ok I got that so what does that have to do with if a young guy benefits from DHEA supplementation?

CROWLER

soma

soma

Awards
  • Established
"I see where if you WAY over train, are exposed to extreme temps and lack of sleep you lose DHEA. Ok I got that so what does that have to do with if a young guy benefits from DHEA supplementation?"

I think on a smaller scale (working out = grueling training) leads to->increased cortisol->skewed dhea/cortisol ratio ->less potential Igf release ->slower recovery from workout.

But with DHEA supplementation maybe you could speed up recovery. :D How much would be optimal (oral or transdermal?)

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nice article. french_muscle, is that you in the avatar? I want to look just like that. Well maybe not as tanned... :p

Fastflight

Fastflight

Awards
  • Established
Shouldn´t the last sentence read "cortisol decreases IGF and DHEA increases IGF-1 levels" ?

danliftinheavy

Banned
Awards
Shouldn´t the last sentence read "cortisol decreases IGF and DHEA increases IGF-1 levels" ?
in no studys will they say it "will do this it will do that" but they will remark about "how it may seem to do this or do that" they make the reader draw his or her own conclusions it take the FDA years and years of studies to prove that a product diffintily does something. it doesnt take that much with us we usual do it by trail&error but it is always great to see studys.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Nice article. french_muscle, is that you in the avatar? I want to look just like that. Well maybe not as tanned... :p
Looks like Dexter or Chris to me...

Fastflight

Fastflight

Awards
  • Established
Normally,gh and cort is secreted both to break down fatty acids and provide stable blood sugar under stress.
Afterwards the IGF should repair the damaged tissue which is sensitivized to slin and IGF and antagonize the catabolic effects of the cort,which IGF is already proven to do so.
But I never heard that cortsol incerases IGF.

I always thought it´s only the growth hormones job to do this.

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree. Seems like a typo in there. In proper Sciglish, they would've put it like "In vivo, IGF-1 levels are therefore increased by glucocorticoids [i.e. cortisol] and DHEA". But since it's the ratio of DHEA / cortisol that makes it, then you must be right.