clenbuterol-treated sheep showed increased mass gains, IGF-1

C

charger

Banned
Awards
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12515300&dopt=Abstract

I know its a sheep study. But I thought I'd pass it along.

Effect of clenbuterol on growth, nitrogen and energy balances and endocrine status in food-restricted sheep.

Cardoso LA, Taveira O.

Instituto de Investigacao Cientifica Tropical, Centro Interdisciplinary de Investigacao de Sanidade Animal, CVZ, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria, Rua Prof. Cid dos Santos, 1300-477 Lisbon, Portugal. [email protected]

The aim of this study was to examine the effect of the beta2-adrenoceptor clenbuterol on food-restricted sheep. Clenbuterol was administered as a dietary admixture (4 mg/ kg diet) to a group of male Serra da Estrela sheep (n = 6).The animals were housed individually in metabolic cages and fed for 45 days at 65% of estimated requirement for energy maintenance. An untreated group with the same energy intake level was included as a control. Changes in body mass, nitrogen and energy balances and insulin, insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1), and triiodothyronine (T3 ) levels in the experimental animals were monitored. During the 4th week of the trial, clenbuterol-treated sheep showed increased mass gains, greater energy retention and serum IGF-1 levels and decreased T3 serum concentrations. This study showed that clenbuterol may induce a protective effect in sheep subjected to periods of food deprivation, based on the body mass and digestible energy effects manifested by treated animals.

I am unsure about how much clen was given. (4 mg/ kg diet) 4mg is 4000mcgs So it doesn't seam possible that the animal could take that much clen. I wish they would have tested the GH and test levels.

C

charger

Banned
Awards
Role of IGF-I and IGFBPs in the changes of mass and phenotype induced in rat soleus muscle by clenbuterol.

Awede BL, Thissen JP, Lebacq J.

Unite de Physiologie Generale des Muscles, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 1200 Brussels, Belgium.

Clenbuterol induces hypertrophy and a slow-to-fast phenotype change in skeletal muscle, but the signaling mechanisms remain unclear. We hypothesized that clenbuterol could act via local expression of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I). Administration of clenbuterol to 3-mo-old female Wistar rats resulted in a 10 and 13% increase of soleus muscle mass after 3 and 9 days, respectively, reaching 16% after 4 wk. When associated with triiodothyronine, clenbuterol induced a dramatic slow-to-fast phenotype change. In parallel, clenbuterol administration induced in soleus muscle a fivefold increase in IGF-I mRNA levels associated with an eightfold increase in IGF-binding protein (IGFBP)-4 and a fivefold increase of IGFBP-5 mRNA levels on day 3. This increased IGF-I gene expression was associated with an increase in muscle IGF-I content, already detected on day 1 and persisting until day 5 without increase in serum IGF-I concentrations. These data show that muscle hypertrophy induced by clenbuterol is associated with a local increase in muscle IGF-I content. They suggest that clenbuterol-induced muscle hypertrophy could be mediated by local production of IGF-I.

C

charger

Banned
Awards
but I found two more studies that could counter the two I posted.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
lol, of course. There's always somebody refuting somebody else.

I personally think clen has some mild anabolism IF you keep calories high enough. I know I'll get shouted down but based on personal experience I seem to get a tiny amount of lbm growth from a clen cycle while burning off some VAT. It's certainly nothing close to a AAS cycle but it's noticable to me.

If you go hypocaloric with lots of cardio...then I've noticed the rapid catabolism people talk about.

And I likes the jitters, lol.

R

rhinochaser48

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
lol, of course. There's always somebody refuting somebody else.

I personally think clen has some mild anabolism IF you keep calories high enough. I know I'll get shouted down but based on personal experience I seem to get a tiny amount of lbm growth from a clen cycle while burning off some VAT. It's certainly nothing close to a AAS cycle but it's noticable to me.

If you go hypocaloric with lots of cardio...then I've noticed the rapid catabolism people talk about.

And I likes the jitters, lol.

Specifically, clenbuterol is anabolic through the B3 receptor. Humans have very few, where as most animals have many. That's why clenbuterol is used so extensively in show horses and cattle, but is only an effective stimulant to humans.

The touted 'anabolism' people claim to have had from clenbuterol is seen within the first few days before those scarce B3 receptors down regulate. Some people may have slightly more and some people may not respond the same way in terms of down regulation.

So in summary, it's not all hype, but it hardly offers anything worth using for muscle growth.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
i just wanna say.....doing studies of clen on sheep or any animal makes me wanna puke. Testing on animals is pathetic, fucken researchers should be ashamed of themselves. Being in research (not animal) myself I have seen studies and the way animals are treated, half of these researchers should be shot

C

charger

Banned
Awards
I guess I am just as bad. I cut up cats and sheep in my biology class. And I eat all kinds of meat. If it cost 100 sheep lives to save one bum on the street then save the bum and kill the sheep.

But lets keep this on IGF topics.