Clonidine HCL (effecting the growth of a child)

P

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
earlier this week, my girlfriends son.. was prescribed Clonidine hcl to help with jyper activity, specially during the evening hours... (he has hd... something something, and gets competely out of hand very quickly).

Anyway.. right away I recognized the name as familiar and did a search here to find out that it is reported to increase HGH output by 10 fold.

First off, it's working as far as calming him down.. He fell asleep like an angel by 7:00 last night.. which is unheard of.

But.. how will this effect the rest of his development?

He takes 1mg at night, and .025mg in the morning.

Any thoughts on the matter? (and no I won't steal his medication.. but I would like some.. lol)

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Interesting choice by the doctor. I know it's used in pediatrics, but the side-effects on children are not really known. I really can't answer your question, perhaps you could ask his doctor?

P

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I could ask.. but for some reason I thought you guys might know more about this aspect then he? I wonder if he even knows about the increase in HGH output.

Also... 1mg for a boy weighing just 60 pounds.. seemed pretty high to me.. I remember reading adults taking much less then that in some cases.. and at most 2mg.. taking into account his weight.. it just seemed like an awful lot.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It is high, but for its intended purpose as more of a sedative, and considering how severe the condition sounds it makes sense.

You could assume that since it has these effects on adults, then the same effects would arise in youth. Like I said there really isn't much on the extended use in children.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I have never seen dosing in the mgs, only mcgs. If you are correct, that is a very hefty dosage and a visit to the doctor, to discuss this, would be appropriate.

P

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have never seen dosing in the mgs, only mcgs. If you are correct, that is a very hefty dosage and a visit to the doctor, to discuss this, would be appropriate.
Just called my honey bunny to check on that.... and i was in error. the pills are .1mg

so he takes .1mg at night and .025mg in the morning.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
30 normal children (20 males) and 26 patients with known causes of GH deficiency were submitted to the clonidine test and their GH values were compared.

Basically they used immunofluorometric assay (more sensitive) instead of radioimmunoassay to determine the GH levels. Which they found to have less of an amount of stimulation compared to the earlier method.

Either way, it seems that it does effect GH levels.

"GH peak values presented a wide variation ranging from 1.7 to 25 µg/l (mean ± SD = 12.87 ± 5.8 µg/l) in the normal group."

Although inconsistent amongst the testers.