Insulin timing Question

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've read the FAQ but I have sort of a semi unique situation. I workout immediatly after getting off work and then have a 30 minute ride home. I know you are supposed to use after a work out but how long after is optimal. Will I lose out if I wait till I get home 30 minutes later or do I need to find a way right after I lift?

The problem is getting to a secure place and keeping the slin cool and private.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well I used to use the slin right in my car in the gym parking lot. Its not like anybody is going to think anthing other than your diabetic plus I tried to be discrete about it. I think it would still be effective even if you use it 30 minutes later. One thing you never want to do is take slin and wait until you get home to have a shake. You never ever want to use it unless you have carbs on hand. **** I used to keep pop and candy in my car just incase I broke down plus I had my postworkout shake immediatley after my inject.

I'm not sure where your from but if its winter you can just leave the slin in the car while in the gym and it will be fine. Another thing you can do on hot days is get a cooler.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
its not hard to take slin w/ u in your car. Load up the syringe and keep it in a ziplock bag, fill up a shaker bottle w/ cold water and drop it in. If you are going to do this method, MAKE SURE you have cartbs with you, to take right afterwards, then come home 30 min later and have your protein/creatine etc.

But no 30 minutes wont do anything if you want to wait.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Blaze and Jstrong, i'm gonna do that with the shaker. I keep Glucose tabs in my book bag just in case.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks Blaze and Jstrong, i'm gonna do that with the shaker. I keep Glucose tabs in my book bag just in case.
no not tabs bro. What i meant is dont do your shot there, drive home for 30 minutes then take a carb shake. Make sure u take a malto or dextrose shake w/ you, especially if you do IM shots w/ humalog like most, you'll need to it get carbs in you within 15 minutes.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That part was answering Jstrongs advice on keeping somehting handy with me in case of suger shock. I keep the tabs with me as a last ditch effort but I plan on taking the shake immediatly after the injection because of Bobo's FAQ on not waiting out 15 minutes.

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
no not tabs bro. What i meant is dont do your shot there, drive home for 30 minutes then take a carb shake. Make sure u take a malto or dextrose shake w/ you, especially if you do IM shots w/ humalog like most, you'll need to it get carbs in you within 15 minutes.
Drive home and then take the shot...right?So if he does have problems he doesn't wreck or hurt someone else?

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Drive home and then take the shot...right?So if he does have problems he doesn't wreck or hurt someone else?
Either place would work. What i said that if he chose to do his shot in the parking lot, then to take a carb shake w/ him to drink before he drives home. :thumbsup:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, somehow killing someone else on the road because of my carelessness would be more than fucked up.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
if u start feeling dizzy, pull over and take a pill. I dont really think this is a major problem. Obviously it's recommended to use slin 3-4 times before u actually drive just to see how u react, afterwards you should be ok.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good information intv, so far I haven't had any effects at all which is good.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I decided to take the shot after I get home and have great results from it so far. Just safer all the way around.