Yet another IGF-1/Cancer abstract

1. Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
    Answers

Yet another IGF-1/Cancer abstract

My apologies if this has been posted in a previous thread:

http://journals.endocrinology.org/jo...21/1620321.pdf

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Answers

looks like the same results from other studies I have seen..
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Wow there is a lot of info in that. I had time to just skim through it. at the moment. Most of the things I have read on there seem to indicate opinions that IGF-1 use would just increase growth rate of exisiting cancers. In skimming this I get the impressioion they are saying elevated levels of IFG-1 can lead to the formation of cancer cells. Perhaps one of you who are gifted with the ability to interpret this study could give us your thoughts? LOL I was already to do some research and this paper freaked me out.
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Answers

No, what it is saying is that there are elevated levels of IGF-1 present in areas affected by cancer.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Gear elevates IGF-1 so if your going to worry about cancer from IGF-1 don't use gear.

This will happen if as mentioned you already have it, it will excellerate it not cause it. That why IGF-1 is use in a reseach media to excellerate the cancer for reseach purposes. You don't put IGF-1 in a media and get cancer, the cancer cell has to added to the mix so the IGF-1 can cause it to grow faster so they can reseach it.

That way most people that have cancer have high IGF-1 levels, that causes the cancer cell to grow. Where if they had low IGF-1 the cell could stay dorment for a longer period of time.

JohnnyB
  6. Developing Meathead
    Answers

I agree JohnnyB. The body has cancer cells in it all the time, but the immune system recognizes them as foreign and kills them. So if get a cancer that has the ability to get around your bodies immune system, you are going to get cancer regardless of the presence of IGF-1. It will probably just accelerate the growth of the cancer.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

IGF-1 is like a stray bullet. its a mitogen, which mean its stimulate cell division, which some how problematic. but main issue with IGF and other growth factors, is that they can turn some tumor body in you body ON or OFF. so it can be dangerous or usefu depending on situation.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

It is my understanding that the presence of cancer cells causes elevated IGF, that does not mean that elevated IGF causes cancer. Scientists use IGF as a marker to track growth rate of cancer especially breast cancer in women. These studies are not produced for our purposes, it's easy to read something into them while attempting to read between the lines and apply it to bodybuilding.
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by serengo
    It is my understanding that the presence of cancer cells causes elevated IGF, that does not mean that elevated IGF causes cancer. Scientists use IGF as a marker to track growth rate of cancer especially breast cancer in women. These studies are not produced for our purposes, it's easy to read something into them while attempting to read between the lines and apply it to bodybuilding.
    exactly, since igf-1 is a growth factor...what do cancers love to do? GROW.

not really that hard to figure out why there are elevated levels of igf-1 near cancer cells. they also secrete angiogenesis proteins to grow more blood vessels near them. There are trials right now to use these same growth factors to help people who have block coronary arteries(grow new arteries), this does not mean they are going to get cancer on their hearts.

fiddler
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. yet another thing to get you down
    By ChaseRoy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-02-2006, 08:51 PM
  2. Yet Another Protein Question
    By BIGNBUFF in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2003, 11:07 PM
  3. Yet another reason for your omega's (Lupus)
    By jweave23 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2003, 11:47 AM
  4. Yet another new guy!
    By Draven in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-26-2003, 09:34 PM
  5. Yet another Acne Topic
    By BigBenn in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2002, 06:45 PM