aspiration test for igf?

theslime

Awards
Is it necessary to make the aspiration test (to make sure i'm not injecting in a blood vessel) when I'm injecting igf or is that only for oil-based steroids?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
If you are going sub-q you don't have to aspirate (i don't believe diabetics do), but if you are going IM I would aspirate. I don't think that IGF is meant to be injected into a vein.

ManBeast

theslime

Awards
If blood does come up, would it mean my pin and igf are useless?

ruffneck

ruffneck

Awards
No one know what IGF will do if given in a vein. It probably won't hurt you but its not going to help you either, so it would be a wasted shot. You should aspirate on all IM shots. If you get blood back pull out and pin with same needle in a different spot.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
Yes, you should aspirate if it's IM. You want the IGF in the muscle, not the bloodstream. The reason for going IM is to target the IGF receptors in the muscles you just worked. If it gets in a vein, I imagine it will just attach randomly. Probably not a total waste, but not good either.

If you draw blood, just pull out & shoot somewhere else. The blood won't hurt you. It's rare that you will draw any, but use caution.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
i hit one of my delts early on and drew blood - i just pulled out and moved to the other delt and all was good - blood and all.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
its funny tho - my kids go to the doc all the time and get shots. the doc never aspirates. i want to say something - but he will prob think i am a druggie or something.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
It depends on the shot. All the IM shots I've ever gotten from a doc, they aspirated (I was a sick kid that liked watching the shots...), but with sub-q, they almost never have.

ManBeast