Can IGF cause you to become Diabetic?

mr athlete

Awards
I been looking for information on whether or not IGF-3 can make you/accelerate you to become diabetic. Does anyone have information or an opinion on this?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
It drops blood sugar way down after a shot, so this would mean that it infact binds to insulin receptors. This has to have a down regulating effect on receptor count.

mr athlete

Awards
Thanks Trip, do you think that the down regulation is permanent?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Hmmmm, once the compound is stopped the receptors would adjust to the change and up-regulate from how I understand this process anyway.. I did a handfull of vials of lr3 and no adverse effects on glucose uptake occured long term. Keeping it to 3x a week, and run for a short duration should ensure safety in all areas.

mr athlete

Awards
Thanks that sounds like a very sensible protocol.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
there's been some interesting studies on testosterone and diabetes...

http://health.yahoo.com/news/ap/diabetes_obesity_surgery.html
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2007/dec2007_cover_hormones_01.htm
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2007/jul2007_report_diabetes_01.htm

what's interesting about these studies is what they have in common. less body fat = better insulin sensitivity, more testosterone = better usage of insulin.

additionally, my workout partner (a type 1) dropped his insulin usage by 30% or so after we started training our legs heavy (about 3 years ago), so i've seen through him the positive effects of even small testosterone increases - less mood swings, better regulated blood sugar, less crashes, etc.

mr athlete

Awards
Thanks Sun, I was really looking if IGF had any effects in becoming a diabetic.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
that i don't know, just giving you some unrelated info which may help. i would think (key word is think) that anything that decreased body fat would help with insulin sensitivity, as one of the links suggests.

mr athlete

Awards
Just found this.

"IGF-1 Helping Diabetes
Two 1997 double-blind clinical studies showed that recombinant IGF-1 injections can markedly reduce the need for insulin by up to 45% in patients with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. One study involved 8 adults between ages 24 and 49 and the other 43 children and adolescents between the ages of 8 and 17. In the adult trial, IGF-1 also lowered the total cholesterol and triglycerides after only four days of treatment.

While these were short term trials lasting nineteen days and four weeks, respectively, that fact that the insulin requirement dropped markedly and there were no serious side effects make IGF-1 a promising drug for the treatment of diabetes. While it does not do away with the need for insulin, it improved the control of blood sugar and thus may help prevent the dire complications of diabetes, including heart disease, blindness, and peripheral nerve damage that can lead to amputation." Wyatt Earp