Urine testing for hgh

gischer

Awards
Are urine tests currently being used by any organizations to test for hgh? If so how long do you need it to be clear of your system? Or are blood tests still the only accepted means? I have a client looking to begin an hgh cycle to recover from a knee injury, but has a urine test in 4 weeks for a sporting event. Should he be worried about failing?

nynone

nynone

Awards
if he has a doctor prescription for it, and is following dosage properly, i dont see why it would be a problem with the event's coordinator (or whoever would be in charge of the testing). now, the following paragraph is based solely on previous knowledge of hgh use in sports, and i don't know anything about current testing abilities by any means. this may be outdated by a couple years.

however, i don't believe you could really do mush when it comes to testing for an hgh injection. they can check for abnormal levels, but remember that (at least a couple years ago) they dont even have a set standard for what's low and high amounts of hgh in the body. they just have "ideal" ranges. with that said, urine tests will just check for the amount in the system. blood work i don't believe can test for synthetic hgh. although, i'm sure they can check levels. the only way i know of for checking for hgh use is by spinal tap (from my past knowledge, not sure if this has changed). that's why they don't test pro athletes for this stuff. spinal taps are, we all know this, dangerous... and we dont want to have barry bonds not break another record because they paralyzed him during a spinal tap, and guess what? what if he didn't do hgh at all?... see my point? a real test for hgh use is illogical, well if this is still true (only able to use a spinal tap for the best testing).

and again, if he has a prescription, or dr. note for it, he should not have to worry.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
From what I know, HGH is not detectable in any urine drug test.

purelife1

there may be some new testing as MLB is supposed to start testing minor league for gh this year

unc21

unc21

Awards
  • Established
Only blood can detect HGH levels. Urine tests can not.

gischer

Awards
thanks guys, that's what i thought. It's for an international fencing competition, and if the big sports aren't there yet, i doubt they are. Since they will only be doing urine, i suppose he can cycle all the way up through the competition.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
there may be some new testing as MLB is supposed to start testing minor league for gh this year
One of the big stinks about this is that it's going to be blood testing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=4943544

NEW YORK -- The NFL hopes to start testing players for human growth hormone, and Major League Baseball has started talks with its union to investigate the test that led to the suspension of a British rugby player.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday that the league had made a proposal to its players in January regarding HGH. Discussions are ongoing, he said.

"Our position is that HGH testing has advanced to the point where we are taking steps to incorporate it into our program," Aiello said. "We have proposed it to the union."

The NFLPA's player development director, Stacy Robinson, said in a statement that the union "has supported research to find a suitable test that will detect sustained HGH use."

"We believe in and collectively bargained for a system that supports the testing of all banned substances," he said.

The NFL has used preseason blood tests since at least 2006 for cholesterol and tryglycerates. Baseball has had urine testing since 2003 but not blood testing.

"We have previously said that if a scientifically validated blood test for HGH is available, we would consider its utilization," new baseball players' association head Michael Weiner said. "But a single uncontested positive does not scientifically validate a test. There remains debate in the testing community about the scientific validity of this test."

The issue of HGH testing has gained renewed interest in the wake of the United Kingdom Anti-Doping authority announcing a two-year ban Monday for rugby player Terry Newton, saying he had tested positive and become the first athlete suspended for using HGH.

The substance is believed by some to hasten healing but there is still a debate over whether it increases strength.

A blood test for HGH has been in existence since the 2004 Athens Olympics and available in the U.S. since 2008, according to United States Anti-Doping Agency executive director Travis Tygart.

Tygart said the test was available to professional leagues, but only through World Anti-Doping Agency labs.

"It's one that's been well-vetted, well-discussed," he said by telephone from London. "Further research has been done to get it to a point where it's scientifically valid, and we're happy to help any entity that's interested in having an effective test, whether we're involved with their program or not, getting them comfortable with the validity of the science."

While MLB can institute blood tests for players on minor league rosters, it must reach an agreement with the players' association to start blood testing for unionized players on 40-man big league rosters.

"We are well aware of the important news with respect to the HGH blood test in England," Major League Baseball said in a statement. "We are consulting with our experts concerning immediate steps for our minor league drug program and next steps for our major league drug program. The commissioner remains committed to the position that we must act aggressively to deal with the issue of HGH."

Tygart said the window for detecting HGH through the test is three days at the most, making it most useful for out-of-competition testing. According to Weiner, it may be even shorter.

"Even those who vouch for the science behind the test acknowledge that it can detect use only for a day or so prior to collection," he said.

Baseball began random urine testing for players on minor league rosters in 2001 and reached an agreement the following year to start testing unionized major leaguers.

"I'd prefer urine testing. It's easier, especially for people who are afraid of needles," said infielder Josh Vitters, the Chicago Cubs' top draft pick in 2007.

Outfielder Brett Jackson, Chicago's No. 1 pick last year, understands why the minor leaguers might get tested first.

"We're guinea pigs for almost everything else," he said, "so why not?"

nynone

nynone

Awards
may i ask if there is a possible issue as to why he would be worried about the testing? or should we leave it unsaid?