IGF-1 and Cancer

• Thread starter ex_banana-eater
  • Start date

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
I hear people allove forums claiming IGF-1 causes cancer. Haven't seen any evidence on it yet, so am looking into it.

From Life extension magazine article on DHEA
Article
Stephen Cherniske: First of all, the widely cited association between IGF-1 and prostate cancer has been debunked.106,107 That said, the concern for tumor acceleration does make sense because IGF has angiogenic activity that would favor tumor growth. But IGF-1 has only been shown to accelerate tumor growth in test tubes. Test tubes and petri dishes do not have immune systems, which are upregulated by IGF-1. In fact, the preponderance of the evidence shows that IGF-1 does not promote cancer in any living organism, whether animal or human. Even direct injection of IGF-1 does not promote tumor growth in animals.108 In Europe, IGF-1 is routinely given to cancer patients to help them gain weight.

Aside from this, it is important to note that increases in IGF-1 after DHEA supplementation are significant but modest, and there are no published studies in which DHEA administration caused IGF-1 to rise above the normal range. Moreover, scores of published studies demonstrate the essential role that IGF-1 plays in the repair and regeneration of the brain, skeleton, and cardiovascular and immune systems.109-112 Conversely, low IGF-1 levels have been associated with dementia, atherosclerosis, osteoporosis, and sarcopenia,54,113 and a study in the journal Gerontology shows that men who maintain youthful levels of IGF-1 do not experience the decline in testosterone or muscle mass, or the accumulation of fat, that has been considered an inevitable consequence of aging.114
As it turns out right now, that site is acting really slow and I cant get to the page with the studies. If anyone does before me, search them on pubmed then post them up here. I'm off to bed.

EBE

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
The only thing that I have seen is that people with cancer have increased IGF-1 levels but there has not been a conclusive link to the IGF-1 causing cancer

size

Awards
  • Established
The only thing that I have seen is that people with cancer have increased IGF-1 levels but there has not been a conclusive link to the IGF-1 causing cancer

This is true.

I do not know if I would claim that using IGF-1 causes cancer. However, using IGF-1 certainly has the potential to increase the growth rate of cancerous cells. However, the same can be said of other substances.

ONe just must recognize that there is always a RISK factor involved. ONe just has to decide whether the risk is worth taking.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Tren by itself increase hepatic IGF-1 levels by 150%. All androgens increase IGF-1 levels so the same arguement can be said about any androgen as size hinted to. THe only studies that show IGF-1 linked to cancer are ones that people had existing prostate and/or breast cancer and their was increased growth. In breast cancer its logical that there is increased IGF-1 since there is also an increase in estrogen. The only other explanation is that since IGF-1 can cause hyperplasia, you have an increased chance of new cells being cancerous. But that is really random chance just like mutations and the creation and death of new cells happens regardless. There is no direct connection.

Bottom line, don't take steroids or GH, or IGF-1 if you have cancer. You have bigger fish to fry.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IGF-1/GH 1
IGF-1/GH 1
Red Fox IGF-1/GH 2
Male Anti-Aging Medicine 1
TripDog IGF-1/GH 20