Type 1 Diabetes and Cheat Meals

Rock Lee

Awards
Forgive me if this is the wrong section to ask but I had a question about Type 1 Diabetics (Insulin-dependent) and cheat meals; I've read that it is insulin that makes people fat; more specifically the combination of large amounts of high-GI carbs and fats at every meal- the insulin that is secreted shuttles the fat into storage...so would a type 1 diabetic be doing good to skip his injections during his cheat meal for the week? That is to let his blood sugar be high for a few hours and then resume normal injections when he resumes eating normally? I know that letting your blood sugar get high is bad for you...but could it, for a few hours a week, be that bad? Or am I just way off and totally forgetting something?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
The point of the high GI carbs with the slin is to shuttle stuff into the muscles, not let blood sugar get abnormally high. Without the slin there would be no point into taking all that sugar in unless I'm missing something completely.

ManBeast

Rock Lee

Awards
I know that, I'm not talking about PWO though. I mean if one didn't produce insulin and were having a cheat meal (high in carbs and fat) would it be wise to take insulin just to have all the junk "shuttled" in to fat stores?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I'm not diabetic, and I've never had a problem with my blood sugar getting too high, so I don't have any idea what kind of damage it can cause, so I can't comment on doing it for that reason. *Bump* for the slin gurus.

ManBeast

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Forgive me if this is the wrong section to ask but I had a question about Type 1 Diabetics (Insulin-dependent) and cheat meals; I've read that it is insulin that makes people fat; more specifically the combination of large amounts of high-GI carbs and fats at every meal- the insulin that is secreted shuttles the fat into storage...so would a type 1 diabetic be doing good to skip his injections during his cheat meal for the week? That is to let his blood sugar be high for a few hours and then resume normal injections when he resumes eating normally? I know that letting your blood sugar get high is bad for you...but could it, for a few hours a week, be that bad? Or am I just way off and totally forgetting something?

It would be really bad if they skipped their shots. Basically what would happen is since available glucose is not getting transported to meet energy requirements the body would produce ketones. The combination of high glucose levels and ketones in the bloodstream and/or urine can cause ketoacidosis which can be fatal. This condition is caused by not taking or taking to little insulin.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to go off topic a wee bit... but I must!
Bobo: Ketoacidosis only occurs when there is both high glucose and ketones? Not just the presences of ketones?

ManBeast

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes. Ketones with low blood sugar is just ketosis. Ketones plus high levels of glucose and little to no insulin causes ketoacidosis. In 99.9% of the cases it can only happen in type I diabetics, although everyone against keto diets will tell you different (scare tactic). As long as you have a normal functioning pancreas its would be extremely rare for normal people to experience it. I don't even know how it could occur in normal people since.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Nice, thanks for that tidbit, one more reason to go and give keto a shot! :D

ManBeast

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Keto is good, people just consume way too many saturated fats.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
That's what I always bitch about to people that argue atkins... too much bad fats :(

ManBeast

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He's actually changed it up quite a bit. Most of the bad fats are reduced greatly and he pushes more for clean fats. Well at least before he cracked his head on some ice....

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
to get back on topic
TypeI diabetics should not skip shots just due to the damage High BG causes. Yes, just for a few hours it can cause serious damage to Eye, Renal, and Neurological functions. Any benefits that would come from letting BG go high (cant really think of any) would not outweigh the risks.

for a side topic:

I'm in the process of starting a page and forum for athletic diabetics, would anyone here be interested?

Thanks

ruffneck

ruffneck

Awards
Also with Type 1 diabetics, ketoacidosis is not fixed when they go back to their regular insulin dose. You have to return the bodies ph level to normal and rid the body of these ketones, and this is not something that can be done by returning to regular insulin doses and diabetic diet.
There is nothing wrong with a cheat meal every now and then but take your insulin, or run the risk of ending up in the hospital on an insulin infusion.

Greenguy

Awards
  • Established
to get back on topic
TypeI diabetics should not skip shots just due to the damage High BG causes. Yes, just for a few hours it can cause serious damage to Eye, Renal, and Neurological functions. Any benefits that would come from letting BG go high (cant really think of any) would not outweigh the risks.

for a side topic:

I'm in the process of starting a page and forum for athletic diabetics, would anyone here be interested?

Thanks
I am very interested. I am type 2. I have thought about doing such a forum myself, since there doesn't seem to be one anywhere in cyberspace.

I might be interested helping you. PM me if you want to talk.

Greenguy