insulin post workout while on a fat loss phase

raybravo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
just thinking about this :
normally , during a fat loss phase , training , an ab workout and post workout cardio takes a lot out of the indivudual , and we all know insulin seems to work very well for recovery . what are the opinions on using say 2-3 iu along with post workout drink ? ( the drink will contain about 50 gms protein and maybe 30 gms carbs) .
all inputs welcome . thanx.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Ray, you read my mind. I have been tihnking about this for some time and haven't looked at the relevant studies but I'm wondering what the lasting effects of a natural insulin spike has (blunting fat loss, increased glyocgen, etc...) is compared to a shot of humalog. I remember reading something somewhere that the effects of a natural insulin spike can last up to 7 hours yet humalog completely clears within 3.5-4 hours.

prolangtum

prolangtum

Awards
  • Established
I dont know. Humalog is much more affective than spiking insulin to the same degree as far as anabolism goes, I remeber Nandi posting that 10 ius of humalog is equal to the spike of a powerbar. The action of humalog is more sustained though (I think) hence why it is more anabolic. Wouldnt the same hold true as far as the opposite for fat loss? I do know a few indivduals who use TKD and include humalog with their only carbs of the day, a PWO shake of 50 g of dextrose, followed up by a 1/2 hour later bowl of oatmeal, with great success while losing minimal lbm.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Yeah I know but its the lasting effects in the body I'm more concerned about. We know insulin creates a cascade effect in the body when it comes to protein synthesis, glyocgen replenishment, etc....It seems that if a high amount (such as Humalog) is present, the rate of protein and glyocogen sytnthesis can be increased while decreasing the time needed compared to a natural release. Now this were certain because studies clearly show that exogneous insulin has a diofferent effect on protein and glycogen synthesis than endogenous release. It seems the endogenous release has a more prolonged or drawn out effect than Humalog would. Humalog would increase protein and glyocogen synthesis much faster and less of an impact on the body as far as fat burning, than a drawn out release. Now whether this is true or not, I have no clue but its something I have been thinking about for some time. I know there is something I read that states an endogenous release of insulin creates an effect that can last up to 7 hours to where Humalog's effect would be quicker.

I have been using Slin with my carb days on UD2 and have seen a nice effect, but I'm also wondering if a small dose during the depletion days PW only would be of benefit. With insulin the rules are different with exogneous use so it might have some benefit keep glyocogen stores fuller having less of an impact on leptin and the fed state. Then again, I might be completely wrong here....

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
I remeber Nandi posting that 10 ius of humalog is equal to the spike of a powerbar. The action of humalog is more sustained though (I think) hence why it is more anabolic. .
But the effects on anabolism is signficantly different. I know that the insulin spike is more drawn out but it seems the physiological effects on the body is more drawn out with a natural release compared Humalog. Let me see if I can find where I read this but it might take me some time. I don't even remember where it was...

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Basically what I want to know is how the body reacts to exogneous insulin compared to endogenous insulin. We know the the pancreas and release of natural insulin is blunted so would this affect catecholamines differently? How about the regulation of HSL and LPL and effects on cAMP? Since the natural production on insulin is blunted do the signals to these steps change? It seems maybe if you blunt the natural repsonse to insulin (as you would in a keto type diet) that fat mobilization would continue even though high amounts of insulin are present from an exogenous source. I'm just thinking out loud here....

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
theprolangtum, You might recall that GrowingDoc brought this up at SM. I think he was doing some research on it. In theory it looks reasonable to use a low dosage of slin post wo.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Link me. I'd like to see what was said.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Thanks a bunch.

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
NP bro. I think this concept is a great area for research.

raybravo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
well , the thing is , in the presence of exo insulin , endo insulin spike will not be there , and like its been pointed out , the activity of humalog is around 4 hrs (lower than endo insulin) , so less fat storage over all ? and as noticed by insulin users , recovery is greatly enhanced even when a small amount is injected .
so ...apart from the theory aspect , i think i can definitely try this , one thing on my mind is , first of all , how much would the use of fat burners(which reduce insulin sensitivity ) affect this insulin use . second of all , how much of a possiblity is there , if there is , that fat loss maybe compromised ?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Well in all the FAQ's as you know the use of fat burners with insulin is not encouraged but truthfully I think the action of insulin would blow away anything an OTC fat could cause. Technically it would reduce sensitivity but I think the difference would be very small. I just need to find that study that shows the physiological effects of a natural insulin release and try to make a reaosonable comparison. The problem with exogenouos insulin is there really is no conclusive studies on normal people so the effects are not known. Its not even known WHY it is so anabolic when an equivalnet amount can be produced from a normal person. There are a lot of questions surrounding this one. How bout you try it Ray and let us all know! :D

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
If and when you do try this Bravo, will you be keeping a log or something that we can watch? I realize that this research will offer many benefits but documenting this may be difficult without first having established some type of baseline for your fat storing/burning tendancies. What's your plan?

raybravo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
true candle , i am someone who does tend to store fat on insulin if i am careless with how i eat . some people respond differently though . i will keep everyone posted on how it works when i do try it , but a log is too tough for me , short of time .
and yeah bobo , there is very lil documented info on how exo insulin is so magical in its effects on users ... so something we'll have to try and see for ourselves :) .