So I think I might have a GH deficiency, but I’m not sure.. Here's my story.

CrownRoyal

CrownRoyal

Awards
  • Established
As a kid, I was having problems growing. A doctor said it seemed like a thyroid problem, so he put me on Synthroid & Cytomel. My mom said soon after taking both meds, I started to grow. She said I was steadily growing for a few years until I decided to “Stop taking it because I didn’t like taking pills.” She said I was around 14, and ever since then I haven’t exactly grown very much. I’m 22 now, and I pretty much wear the same shoe size and I am the same height as I was when I was 16. I have very thin/small bones, thus I have broken a lot of bones in random accidents growing up. Another thing is, my family is known to be ‘late bloomers’ I guess you could say, we all look way younger than we are, and pretty much all grow very slow; also, my mom and sister have low-thyroid so they still take Synthroid & Cytomel. Anyway, so I’m contemplating going to the doctor to get tested, but I’m unsure if I should ask if I have a GH deficiency or a thyroid problem (as I did when I was a kid). I hate how people think I’m 17/18 when I’m actually turning 23. Also, I have been taking natural test boosters (TNT stack) and powerful (the supposed GH enhancement supp that actually just gives you a better sleep).. Will these supps screw up any tests? Are there any tips for taking the test(s)? And what kind of sides could I expect from taking doctor’s ordered GH injections (I hope my shoe size doesn’t go up)? Thanks in advance everyone.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
As a kid, I was having problems growing. A doctor said it seemed like a thyroid problem, so he put me on Synthroid & Cytomel. My mom said soon after taking both meds, I started to grow. She said I was steadily growing for a few years until I decided to “Stop taking it because I didn’t like taking pills.” She said I was around 14, and ever since then I haven’t exactly grown very much. I’m 22 now, and I pretty much wear the same shoe size and I am the same height as I was when I was 16. I have very thin/small bones, thus I have broken a lot of bones in random accidents growing up. Another thing is, my family is known to be ‘late bloomers’ I guess you could say, we all look way younger than we are, and pretty much all grow very slow; also, my mom and sister have low-thyroid so they still take Synthroid & Cytomel. Anyway, so I’m contemplating going to the doctor to get tested, but I’m unsure if I should ask if I have a GH deficiency or a thyroid problem (as I did when I was a kid). I hate how people think I’m 17/18 when I’m actually turning 23. Also, I have been taking natural test boosters (TNT stack) and powerful (the supposed GH enhancement supp that actually just gives you a better sleep).. Will these supps screw up any tests? Are there any tips for taking the test(s)? And what kind of sides could I expect from taking doctor’s ordered GH injections (I hope my shoe size doesn’t go up)? Thanks in advance everyone.
I don't see the correlation between GH deficiency and looking younger or wearing the same shoe size. You're 5'10".....far from a growth issue, IMO. If you really had GH deficiency, I's suspect you wouldn't be 5'10".

If you want to research GH, there is a sticky you should read in this section.

CrownRoyal

CrownRoyal

Awards
  • Established
I don't see the correlation between GH deficiency and looking younger or wearing the same shoe size. You're 5'10".....far from a growth issue, IMO. If you really had GH deficiency, I's suspect you wouldn't be 5'10".

If you want to research GH, there is a sticky you should read in this section.
I'm actually only 5'9 (i always fudge the number hah) and I'm the shortest male in my family. But my biggest complaint is how small/skinny/weak my bones are.

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
There are many factors that play in pubertal growth. Not necessarily related to GH as is commonly the 1st thing people jump to.

I would link to some wonderful info DatBtrue presented, but this forum has seriously killed any ability to do a decent search which sucks ass btw...

Pubertal growth spurts and longitudinal bone growth are regulated by various hormons (Sex Hormones, Growth Hormone, etc)
In Dat's post he pointed out studies and interesting information on the overlooked role of estrogen. The "rise" in estrogen during the pubertal phase is of key significance in pubertal growth as well as levels of GH. You do mention weak frail bones which could fit...
Basically, GH is not the final answer, and more importantly in your case will not be of value (for height) to you at your current age, regardless of the issues.
At your age, your growth plates are fully fused or just at that point. 25 at the latest in some rare cases. Even then, the time left is not sufficient for significant for increased longitudinal growth.
I am not saying you are not GH deficient as you have not IGF-1 levels presented, nor any stimulation test results to show, but it seems unlikely at 5'9" that you have a grave pituitary deficeincy.

Take Care.

CrownRoyal

CrownRoyal

Awards
  • Established
There are many factors that play in pubertal growth. Not necessarily related to GH as is commonly the 1st thing people jump to.

I would link to some wonderful info DatBtrue presented, but this forum has seriously killed any ability to do a decent search which sucks ass btw...

Pubertal growth spurts and longitudinal bone growth are regulated by various hormons (Sex Hormones, Growth Hormone, etc)
In Dat's post he pointed out studies and interesting information on the overlooked role of estrogen. The "rise" in estrogen during the pubertal phase is of key significance in pubertal growth as well as levels of GH. You do mention weak frail bones which could fit...
Basically, GH is not the final answer, and more importantly in your case will not be of value (for height) to you at your current age, regardless of the issues.
At your age, your growth plates are fully fused or just at that point. 25 at the latest in some rare cases. Even then, the time left is not sufficient for significant for increased longitudinal growth.
I am not saying you are not GH deficient as you have not IGF-1 levels presented, nor any stimulation test results to show, but it seems unlikely at 5'9" that you have a grave pituitary deficeincy.

Take Care.
Alright, thanks for the info. I'll just have to decide I guess if it's worth it to get tested or not. Thanks for all the info everyone.