Blood work-GH 0.2 ug/L (advise please)

small_guy

Awards
  • Established
I recently did a whole hormone panel of blood work. I am 33 years old(never taken gh) and my gh is in the ref range I guess- 0.1 - 4.0 ug/L with myself having 0.2 ug/L

My question is that my doc did not say anything about it as it is in the normal range but considering the range I am concerned. Wondering if I should tell the doc that I want to see an endo.

If it matters at all my prolactin levels are high- 21.2 ug/L with a ref 2.6 - 13.1 ug/L.

Anything that I should do and is it possible to get help if my levels are that low(I am canadian).

Thanks,

smalls

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I recently did a whole hormone panel of blood work. I am 33 years old(never taken gh) and my gh is in the ref range I guess- 0.1 - 4.0 ug/L with myself having 0.2 ug/L

My question is that my doc did not say anything about it as it is in the normal range but considering the range I am concerned. Wondering if I should tell the doc that I want to see an endo.

If it matters at all my prolactin levels are high- 21.2 ug/L with a ref 2.6 - 13.1 ug/L.

Anything that I should do and is it possible to get help if my levels are that low(I am canadian).

Thanks,

smalls
Why are you saying you're "low" when you're in fact within the "normal" range? Your doc will not send you to an endo as (s)he does not think you have a problem. Why do you think you have an issue?

Did your doc comment on your elevated prolactin levels?

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
Just some related info...

I've been through the testing process for GH deficiency with regards to my wife. We have been through all the testing processes including random GH, IGF-1, IGF1BP3 as well as GHRH/Arginine infusion stimulation testing. Many Drs are greatly lacking in proper evaluation of GH deficiency and what the different tests are really telling them.

Mark my words: Random GH Testing is utterly useless to show anything worthwhile related to your general daily GH production.
This is because your body produces GH pulses which have short duration peaks and troughs. There is no way of establishing whether your random GH level is accounting for a peak of recently released GH pulse, or a really low point in a trough. For example, if your particular result of .2 is from a trough or a declining Plasma GH level, that might be fine, possibly.
The only way you could possibly use GH testing properly is to do multiple GH level tests every 30 min throughout the whole day and night.
Otherwise, IGF-1 and IGF1BP3 are the only tests that are used to guess at whether your GH levels seem normal. That along with GHRH stim testing to see if your pituitary is capable of adequet release.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Good LORD I must be going insane. I thought your test showed a GH level of 2.0, but it's really 0.2! Sorry for the confusion on my part! Just one of those morning things.

Bob, very good point. A single value for GH tells as much of the story as a puzzle piece does to the puzzle. Something to consider small-guy.

small_guy

Awards
  • Established
Well it is good to know that the single test does not mean much but I would still like to realize if I have a low level or not. I guess I should talk to him again about some more testing.

Thanks for the info guys.

small_guy

Awards
  • Established
So growth hormone normally spikes around 10 am in younger individuals???

My test was taken in the afternoon- 1pm or later.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
So growth hormone normally spikes around 10 am in younger individuals???

My test was taken in the afternoon- 1pm or later.
I don't know at what hour of the day they (in the studies charted out above) started the 24 hour count BUT the time is expressed in minutes not hours.

If you see 1200 on the chart it does not mean the hour 1200 or 12th hour in the day but rather 1200 minutes after they started. 1200/60 = 20 hours later.

The biggest pulse in males comes just after they fall asleep at night.

I posted the charts so you could visually see what Bobaslaw described...that GH is pulsatile and varies between people and even on different days within the same person.

Is any of this stuff important to you?

If it is then I would have thought you would have done a better job of comprehending.

small_guy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I quickly looked as I am super busy at the moment and now see the units. I very much appreciated the graphical representation as well as you posting it for me as it did alleviate some of my concern.

Thanks.

chuck2000

Awards
No body commented on OPs prolactin level. High prolactin levels are linked to sexual dysfunction and gynecomastia. I say talk to your GP and get to an endo especially if you are having ED problems.

small_guy

Awards
  • Established
Generic Blue Tops- Any benefit, or would it be a waste to take at a dosage of 2 IU ed? Hence, more of a replacement dosage.

small_guy

Awards
  • Established
Getting more blood work done tomorrow morning.

GH, prolactin, igf-1, ALTH. Tried to get GHRH but it was not something the blood lab does.