Acetylated Resveratrol: Good for the heart!

1. Doctor Science
    Answers

Acetylated Resveratrol: Good for the heart!

Biological Activity of Acetylated Phenolic Compounds

Elizabeth Fragopoulou, Tzortzis Nomikos, Haralabos C. Karantonis, Constantinos Apostolakis, Emmanuel Pliakis, Martina Samiotaki, George Panayotou, and Smaragdi Antonopoulou*

Department of Science of Nutrition-Dietetics, Harokopio University of Athens, 17671 Athens, Greece, and Protein Chemistry Laboratory B.S.R.C. "Alexander Fleming", Athens, Greece

Received for review September 22, 2006. Revised manuscript received November 6, 2006. Accepted November 8, 2006.

Abstract:

In recent years an effort has been made to isolate and identify biologically active compounds that are included in the Mediterranean diet. The existence of naturally occurring acetylated phenolics, as well as studies with synthetic ones, provide evidence that acetyl groups could be correlated with their biological activity. Platelet activating factor (PAF) is implicated in atherosclerosis, whereas its inhibitors seem to play a protective role against cardiovascular disease. The aim of this study was to examine the biological activity of resveratrol and tyrosol and their acetylated derivatives as inhibitors of PAF-induced washed rabbit platelet aggregation. Acetylation of resveratrol and tyrosol was performed, and separation was achieved by HPLC. Acetylated derivatives were identified by negative mass spectrometry. The data showed that tyrosol and its monoacetylated derivatives act as PAF inhibitors, whereas diacetylated derivatives induce platelet aggregation. Resveratrol and its mono- and triacetylated derivatives exert similar inhibitory activity, whereas the diacetylated ones are more potent inhibitors. In conclusion, acetylated phenolics exert the same or even higher antithrombotic activity compared to the biological activity of the initial one.

Keywords: HPLC separation; acetylation; platelet activating factor; electrospray mass spectrometry; resveratrol; tyrosol

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Answers

Nice post LMD!

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths . Proverbs 3:5-6

3. New Member
    Answers

Have there been studies on this with people at risk of serious heart problems? Would this be beneficial to someone thats had a triple heart bypass and has low functioning kidneys therefore susceptible to issues like gout so can't consume red wine?

•   

4. Doctor Science
    Answers

Well I want to say up front I am not a medical doctor and I would suggest consulting with them first but my opinion is it would definitely be beneficial. Red wine is great for you in small quantities but I stated in a few other posts that red wine contains merely 5mg of resveratrol per liter, which means you would have to drink it all of your life more than likely to reap the benefits from it.

What was the cause of your heart surgery? High cholesterol (plaque buildup?).

5. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD View Post
    What was the cause of your heart surgery? High cholesterol (plaque buildup?).
    Plaque buildup was the cause, some of his arteries were partially blocked I think, shown by angiogram. Its not me, I'm young and healthy although if heart disease is an inherited condition I could be in some trouble.

6. Diamond Member
    Answers

...red wine contains merely 5mg of resveratrol per liter...
    Agree! Also agree that it would not only be impractical, but also not medically advisable to consume red wine as a source of resveratrol.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.

7. Doctor Science
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Agree! Also agree that it would not only be impractical, but also not medically advisable to consume red wine as a source of resveratrol.
    Yeah it is like trying to drink spring water just as a source of minerals lol.

8. Diamond Member
    Answers

Yeah it is like trying to drink spring water just as a source of minerals lol.
    Awesome analogy!

I like resveratrol's versatility. What impresses me most is its ability to support favourable gene expression comparable to the beneficial anti-aging effects of optimal calorie restriction. It is one of my favourite compounds, no question.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.

9. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    I know my dad has atleast 1-2 bottles of wine a week for probably 20+ years. I wonder how long it will take me to catch him in the ResV dosing

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. SkyFlakes fit cracker good for the heart
    By TipTopShape in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 10:02 AM
  2. More good news on Trans-resveratrol
    By A_I_Sports_Nutrition in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2008, 10:59 PM
  3. How would you want an acetylated-resveratrol product?
    By LakeMountD in forum Supplements
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 07:08 PM
  4. Resveratrol.. might not be so good afterall
    By drksun in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 09:25 AM
  5. Chocolate Good for the Heart??
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2003, 06:13 AM