Epi

bigdognhb

Awards
So Ive been hearing people say they take their EPI with grapefruit juice. What is the reasoning behind this?

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
My guess is the insulin spike.

nub

Awards
I think it's something about helping absorption, I read something about creatine and grape juice being a good combination.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
l heard about grape juice, but not grapefruit juice.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Grapefruit juice helps the absorbtion of drugs. It can harm some as well, but in this case, it helps them. I will find the article.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. researchers said they have identified the compound in grapefruit juice that affects how some drugs are absorbed in the body and said on Tuesday it might be used to help lower dosages for some patients. Grapefruit juice is known for its effects on drug metabolism and is avoided by some patients while other deliberately take their drugs with the juice.The reason is an intestinal enzyme called CYP3A, which partially destroys drugs as they are absorbed. Grapefruit juice, like no other fruit juice, interferes with CYP3A, so the body ends up absorbing more of the drug.
Dr. Paul Watkins of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and colleagues say they have identified the substance in grapefruit juice that is responsible -- furanocoumarin.
"It should now be possible to market the furanocoumarin-free grapefruit juice to patients who would otherwise need to avoid grapefruit," Watkins said in a statement.
"In addition, it should be possible to screen new foods for the potential for drug interactions by determining whether they contain furanocoumarins," Watkins said.
"Finally, it may be possible to add furanocoumarins to formulations of certain drugs that tend to be poorly or erratically absorbed to improve their oral delivery."
To test the theory that furanocoumarin was the responsible compound, Watkins and colleagues filtered it out grapefruit juice, which they discovered was then less bitter but otherwise unaltered.
Then they tested 18 men and women taking various drugs on a regular basis including aspirin and birth control pills.
Each fasted in the hospital and got a single dose of the blood pressure drug felopidine, sold under the brand name Plendil, along with either normal grapefruit juice, furanocoumarin-free juice or orange juice.
They then ate and drank normally and blood was taken regularly all day.
In each volunteer, the normal grapefruit juice made between 6 percent to 230 percent more Plendil available in the blood, the researchers reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The furanocoumarin-free grapefruit juice and orange juice had no such effect, they reported.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dammit Natty... I was going to sound all smart with my information about the CYP3A enzyme.. and you had to go and beat me to it... you knob! :D

Adams

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Dammit Natty... I was going to sound all smart with my information about the CYP3A enzyme.. and you had to go and beat me to it... you knob! :D

Adams
looks like you've lost a step.:lol: