JN 230's road to 455!

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
so guys, if anyone is on my faceboook... (Jason Newman | Facebook) then you know my goal was to deadlift 455 before christmas as inspired by Mr Lobliner.

I Have hit 405 for 1 back in Aug 29th...

then sept 14th hit 410

just two weeks ago I hit 425 for 1 relatively easily...

Does anyone think its do able?
Im 6'1 192 age 25
306825_10100124242039815_6415826_46381702_424030672_n.jpg
Pic from september 175

more recent pics wont load for some reason...

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302070_10100181888525795_6415826_46886439_2073925084_n.jpg
Im weighing about 185 in this one... you may have to add me to see it.

Anyone see me doing this?
gotta add 30# to my dead in 3 weeks :)

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think you can do it man! Proper programming, food and rest. I'm pretty sure you can pull 455. Have you been pulling anything recently? Or after you tested the 1Rm back in august you been taking a break?

A question for you. As tall as you are how do you get around the long lever issue? I have to pull sumo because my arms and legs are stupid long... my arm span says I should be like 6'2" but I'm only 5'10" (Arm span = height theory).

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
best i have hit was 425 about 2 weeks ago, I deadlift about ever 2nd or 3rd week. Working on form a bit but resting my erectors.

ummm long lever issue? not sure, I have rather strong legs I think. squatted 380 as a senior in high school so my glutes and hips are powerful enough, honestly its getting it started and past mid shin thats the worst for me.

I have recently learned to "row" the weight as I pull up and have added about 20# just by doing so

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
best i have hit was 425 about 2 weeks ago, I deadlift about ever 2nd or 3rd week. Working on form a bit but resting my erectors.

ummm long lever issue? not sure, I have rather strong legs I think. squatted 380 as a senior in high school so my glutes and hips are powerful enough, honestly its getting it started and past mid shin thats the worst for me.

I have recently learned to "row" the weight as I pull up and have added about 20# just by doing so
Hmm. I have a feeling that's more like "squatting" your dead lift, than deadlifting it. I'm not 100% sure though as I don't do conventional deads much anymore. Only when I do cleans. Although, you could mean "Rowing" it like how one would set up for a cable row? Pulling the weight towards you with your legs and using the weight as a balance while shooting your body upward.... Lucky though.. .my legs get in the way when I deadlift. the longer arms make it hard for me to explode. Kinda hard to explain. Your deadlift is better than mine as I the most I've gotten conventional was 315x8. I could've gone higher in weight but I blew myself out on that one. Hopefully someone else will jump in. Rodja from Primordial Performance is really good at this type of exercise science type deal.
If you pulled 425 then I'd think 455 in 3 weeks would be REALLY pushing it. Not impossible... but you have to be feeling amazing, and have everything on point that day.

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i'll video it so you can see my form this saturday :)

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sweet man.. good stuff. Im friend requesting you know :D

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good luck on the PR brother. Hit up Tomahawk's log. He's a dead lifting machine!!

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
his Intimidate log had a SICK DL video!

i'll be recording one today but wont have nearly the amount of iron on the bar that he did...

I have my 2(100lb) plates set aside incase I get up to 245 today. Im loading up my food today in preps for it. last was 425 that was 2-3 weeks ago im hoping for at least 435 maybe 445!!

gotta hit it before my hemavol kicks in or i'll be to pumped to lift it.
hit hammies on thursday so I wont be 100% fresh

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Saw your update on facebook.. Sweet bro!!! really happy for you.. but don't stop here. Make 455, bitch weight.

Mike

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what is a good dead for a natty at 6'1 200lbs?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what is a good dead for a natty at 6'1 200lbs?
I've heard 2.5x bw is amateur level. So you're almost amateur competition level for the dead lift. :D

What is your training protocol btw?

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
hmmm protocol... not much of one

4 exercises usually 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps depending....

i deadlift every 2nd or 3rd week.
for back its
lat pulldown, t bar rows, DB rows, and close grip pulldown with straight arm cable pulls