Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.87%

Ecdy Causes Cancer?

I just ordered 2 bottles of the Ecdy, and have been real excited to give it a try. I read an old thread today, and it kind of scared me. Maybe my fears aren't warrented and you can relay some newer thoughts on these findings.

(was going to post a link to the thead "ecdysterone and cancer?" from bodybuilding dot com, but unfortunately I can't since my post count is so low)

Specifically the part in the middle of the thread where it says that ecdysterone was on a list submitted to the (national toxicology program), and determined to be carcinogenic by the national cancer institute. Also the part near the bottom of the thread that says 95% pure ecdysterone powder dust should not be inhaled or allowed to touch the skin. If this stuff shouldn't even touch the skin, then how safe could it be to orally ingest it? Not trying to cause any false alarm, and I'm sure you can provide some insight as to these findings. I've really been looking forward to trying the Ecdy, so hopefully you can ease my worries.

2. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

First off, no it won't cause cancer. PM me a link to what you're talking about
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.87%

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post
    First off, no it won't cause cancer. PM me a link to what you're talking about
    I just tried, but I need a few more posts before it will let me.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.87%

Ok here is my 7th post, so I should be able to send you a pm lol.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.43%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I am very interested to see this as well.

Mike
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.87%

Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    I am very interested to see this as well.

Mike
    I cant post links until I have 20 posts, but if you google "ecdysterone and cancer", it will bring up a link from bbdotcom.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Antabolix View Post
    I cant post links until I have 20 posts, but if you google "ecdysterone and cancer", it will bring up a link from bbdotcom.
    I hate bb dot come...

I never heard of this before, but if you look below the Bb, com post there's a bunch of links for ecdysterone fights cancer.:::

8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.87%

I'm not exactly a big fan either lol, but I did see some links that made me wonder. If you aren't supposed to breath the stuff or let it touch your skin, then wouldn't ingesting it be kind of scary?
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%

I'm not exactly a big fan either lol, but I did see some links that made me wonder. If you aren't supposed to breath the stuff or let it touch your skin, then wouldn't ingesting it be kind of scary?
    I'll look into it

10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.55%

Vaughn, WTF happened to your thread over there?
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.78%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Vaughn, WTF happened to your thread over there?
    the shit hit the fan REAL quick.
    iForce Nutrition Online Representative Manager
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%

Quote Originally Posted by baldwanus View Post
    the shit hit the fan REAL quick.
    Does that surprise anyone? Lol

13. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.78%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by StakedCop View Post
    Does that surprise anyone? Lol
    to be honest, i wasnt expecting it to turn out the way it did.......especially since the product was pretty much in positive light over here, figured it would at least stay half way civil
    iForce Nutrition Online Representative Manager
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.87%

Quote Originally Posted by baldwanus View Post
    to be honest, i wasnt expecting it to turn out the way it did.......especially since the product was pretty much in positive light over here, figured it would at least stay half way civil
    What happened? What did I miss?
  15. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.57%

I missed it too. I will poiny out(assuminh I am allowed to) that its used intramuscularly in some circles and I never heard of anyone getting cancer from using ecyd.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%

If ecdy causes cancer I will die a very young man...

17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.43%

Thanks for the insight bro.

BB.com is not a place a I really turn to for legit information, to many people on that board with far inferior knowledge and to much time on there hands to create drama. There are many good members there, but the bad over-ride the good imo.

Mike
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%

BB.com is not a place a I really turn to for legit information, to many people on that board with far inferior knowledge and to much time on there hands to create drama. There are many good members there, but the bad over-ride the good imo.

Mike
    I concur

19. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.32%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

UV rays cause cancer...everyone stay indoors!
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.87%

Mike
    Oh I hear ya man, and I totally agree. The thread did seem to contain some interesting stuff however. So am I the only one that wonders what harm might be done in ingesting something that isn't even supposed to come in contact with the skin? What about the link on the national cancer instutute declaring it a carcinogen? I'm not a hater and have 2 bottles on the way. I was hoping you guys could easy my worries lol. I sent Vaughn a pm with the info, but haven't heard back. This stuff only worries me??
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%

I go tanning... daily! Bring it

22. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.87%

Well, that definitely doesn't ease my worries any lol. I've had several family members die of cancer, and would rather not go that route personally :-). I think I'll wait for vaughn to refute the claims and/or add new evidence to the contrary before I start taking my ecdy. I'd also still like to know why 95% pure extract isn't supposed to come in contact with your skin. I had hoped for someone to make me feel good about taking the ecdy, but saying "I'll die young, and bring it" isn't exactly the comfort I was looking for lol.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%

Sorry man, I'm not trying to down play the situation. It's just EVERYTHING nowa days causes cancer. I do my best to live a healthy life and I think it's safe to say most members here on AM do. Ecdy has always been known as a safe supplement but then bang there's someone at BB with a link to claims it causes cancer...

Bottom line I'm not worried for now. I've search ecdy for hours on end and never seen a health concern. Who knows maybe I missed something...

24. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.62%

I read this on Friday and sort of scratched my head without giving it too much thought at the time. Since then I've had a bit of time to think about it and here is my rationale for ecdysterone's safety. It is a significant component in spinach and quinoa right? We all know that it is, so if ecdy really caused cancer then it follows that spinach and quinoa would have to be carcinogenic too. Now, does anyone honestly think spinach causes cancer, seriously.

I will qualify the above with the following. I am not familiar with the plant that is used for the extraction of ecdy, but it is possible that lower purity extracts could contain some type of phytochemical which is carcinogenic, not ecdysterone though. This is my logic; I am not backing it up by any scientific studies, but in this case I honestly don't think it is necessary. I welcome your guys thoughts. I ordered 4 bottles of the 99% pure ECDY btw.
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.12%

i think it's worth exploring even if there is a slight chance something can be a carcinogen. I haven't the slightest clue on ECDY, but let's not knock the OP, or anyone for that matter, on have a concern over safety of supplementation.
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.43%

same same, hell some old lady at my gym who tans herself to death just got skin cancer.. scared me! Now i got melanotan
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%

same same, hell some old lady at my gym who tans herself to death just got skin cancer.. scared me! Now i got melanotan
    Great.... Wanna send some my way?

28. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.87%

+1 on the melanotan lol :-)! Ya hopefully Vaughn will post up soon with his take on this. I pm'd him the info like he asked, but he hasn't got back to me.
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.13%

Coffee used to be bad for you and now it has a ton of anti-ox. Hell the rank of the guy next to be in the stale as I breath could be effecting my lungs.

Enjoy your supplements and respect them, as your body is a work of art!

Damn, I must have taken my hemp sup
  30. sizematters10

very interested in hearing more about this, and of course I read this right after I ordered two bottles lol. positive studies or GTFO just kidding, just dont want to get spooked out of this like I did daa. any info would be appreciated....
  31. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.87%

Quote Originally Posted by sizematters10 View Post
    very interested in hearing more about this, and of course I read this right after I ordered two bottles lol. positive studies or GTFO just kidding, just dont want to get spooked out of this like I did daa. any info would be appreciated....

Bummer! I had all my links posted, and then realized I need 50 posts before I can share a link...I thought it was 20. I'll be back in a little bit lol...
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.62%

My initial foray into the abstracts leads me to believe that ecdysterone is actually anti-carcinogenic helping to lead to cancer cell aptosis.

Ecdysterone Modulates Antitumor Activity of Cytostatics and Biosynthesis of Macromolecules in Tumor-Bearing Mice

N. P. Konovalova, Yu. I. Mitrokhin, L. M. Volkova, L. I. Sidorenko and I. N. Todorov

Abstract
    The influence of therapeutic and half doses of cisplatin and adriamycin combination with the anabolic drug ecdysterone (20-hydroecdison) on development of subcutaneously and intraperitoneally transplanted P388 and L1210 leukemia and metastasizing B16 melanoma was studied. Ecdysterone significantly stimulated the chemotherapeutic effect of low doses of the cytostatics: inhibition of tumor growth, mice survival rate, their lifespan, and the antimetastatic activity index were comparable or better than after therapy with high doses of the antitumor drugs. The influence of high and low doses of cisplatin and its low dose in combination with ecdysterone on the dynamics of protein and DNA biosynthesis in the liver, pancreas, thymus, spleen, and adrenals of tumor-bearing mice were also studied. Although the therapeutic effect of 4 mg/kg cisplatin by activated protein biosynthesis and DNA repair is comparable or better than that of its low dose (2 mg/kg) in combination with ecdysterone, in terms of chemotherapy the combination looks preferable since the therapeutic dose of cisplatin is toxic for the intact tissues.

______________________________ __________________

This is from a patent filing, note that beta-ecdysterone is listed for possible inclusion in a cancer therapy treatment:

Compositions of botanical extracts for cancer therapy
    United States Patent Application 20050208070

The compositions can also be formulated with other active ingredients, such as anti-oxidants, vitamins (A, C, ascorbic acid, B's, such as B1, thiamine, B6, pyridoxine, B complex, biotin, choline, nicotinic acid, pantothenic acid, B12, cyanocobalamin, and/or B2, D, D2, D3, calciferol, E, such as tocopherol, riboflavin, K, K1, K2). Preferred compounds, include, e.g creatine monohydrate, pyruvate, L-Carnitine, α-lipoic acid, Phytin or Phytic acid, Co Enzyme Q10, NADH, NAD, D-ribose, amino acids such as L-glutamine, Lysine, chrysin; pre-hormones such as 4-androstenedione, 5-androstenedione, 4(or 5-)androstenediol, 19-nor-4 (or 5-)-androstenedione, 19-nor-4 (or 5-)-androstenediol, Beta-ecdysterone, and 5-Methyl-7-Methoxy Isoflavone. Preferred active ingredients include, e.g., pine pollen, fructus lycii, Hippophae rhamnoides, Ligusticum, Acanthopanax, Astragalus, Ephedra, codonopsis, polygola tenuifolia Willd, Lilium, Sparganiuma , ginseng, panax notogiseng, Garcinia , Guggle, Grape Seed Extract or powder, and/or Ginkgo Biloba.

______________________________ _____________________________

Not related to cancer but I found this interesting as mitochondrial maintenance/support supplementation is a focus of life extension supplementation.

Rhaponticum carthamoides ( Leuzea carthamoides , or Maral Root) contains a mixture of compounds called ‘levseins’. Levseins represents a complex of more than 10 ecdysterones including 20-beta-ecdysterone, makisterone C, 24-dehydromakisterone A, carthamosterone, polypodyne B and ajugasterone C. Researchers extracted and purified various ecdysteroids from Rhaponticum and found that the ecdysteroids increased the muscle mass in a dose-dependent manner, with the rate of increase proportional to the ecdysteroids content. Ecdysteroids normalize NADH dehydrogenase activity, enzyme which catalyses NADH electron transfer to the ubiquinone in the oxidative phosphorylation processes at the mitochondrial level, contributing to buildup the electrochemical potential used to produce ATP. It also normalizes the succinate dehydrogenase activity, enzyme which acts in the tricarboxilic acid cycle, which translates in ATP synthesis and patient energy level increases [Tashmukhamedova M A, Almatov K T, Syrov V N. Comparative study of the effect of ecdysterone, turkesterone and nerobol on the function of rat liver mitochondria in experimental diabetes. Vopr Med Khim. 1986; 32:24-8]. Incorporation of this phytomedicine provides at least 10 active principles in a single therapeutic.

There were some other papers relating to cancer cell aptosis and ecdysterone, but I didn't have access to the full text and ecdysterone's role wasn't covered in the abstract.
  33. sizematters10

cool cool sap, thanks for producing those abstracts, interesting stuff.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.62%

So here is the only negative study I could find regarding ecdysterone and cancer; it regards the proliferation of breast cancer cells which have the estrogen receptor alpha. Note: T47D = Human ductal breast epithelial tumor cell line - Whole Cell Lysate

Influence of isopsoralen and ecdysterone on T47D cell proliferation and ER subtype expression of human breast cancer

ZHAO Pi-wen,NIU Jian-zhao,WANG Ji-feng,et al.(School of Fundamental Medical Sciences,Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100029)

Objective To observe the effects of isopsoralen and ecdysterone on the proliferation of T47D cells and detect their influence on the expressions of T47D subtypes-estrogen receptor α(ERα) and estrogen receptor β(ERβ) cells in human breast cancer.Methods The influence of isopsoralen and ecdysterone(the active principles of Fructus Psoraleae,Radix Cyathulae) on the proliferation of ERα and ERβ cells and on the expression levels of ERα and ERβ mRNA by MTT assay and RT-PCR respectively.The changes of cell proliferation cycle were detected by flow cytometry.Results Isopsoralen and ecdysterone(in dose of 10-6 mol/L and 10-7 mol/L respectively) promoted obviously the proliferation of cultured T47D cells,increased the proliferation indexes with an estrogenic effect.The result of RT-PCR showed that isopsoralen(10-6 mol/L) and ecdysterone(10-7 mol/L) improved the expression of ERα mRNA and isopsoralen improved the expression of ERβ mRNA at the same time.Conclusion Isopsoralen and ecdysterone have the phytoestrogenic effects and can influence the mRNA expression level of ER subtype.

______________________________ ______________________________ ___

I'm not rushing to any negative conclusions because of the above study. Other studies have shown that ecdysterone encourages tumor cell aptosis in prostrate cancer.
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.52%

I've used and researched ecdy for years. I love the concept of a product with an almost unlimited health benefits that can also build muscle. I have even mega dosed on the stuff. The problem is that the oral bioavailability is very poor. I just finished a 4 week run of E-Bol from Thermo life and did not notice any increase in muscle mass or any leaning effect. But It does provide a deep and restful night’s sleep. In fact, if I dose too high prior to bedtime I'm groggy the next morning. From what I can discern the Russians injected the stuff. I have even read excerpts where modern day bodybuilders have injected ecdy with great results. It obviously has to be modified in order to be injected.
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.87%

Thanks for posting sapentia. That definitley makes me feel a little better. Maybe Vaughn will also get around to responding one day.
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.62%

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    I've used and researched ecdy for years. I love the concept of a product with an almost unlimited health benefits that can also build muscle. I have even mega dosed on the stuff. The problem is that the oral bioavailability is very poor. I just finished a 4 week run of E-Bol from Thermo life and did not notice any increase in muscle mass or any leaning effect. But It does provide a deep and restful night’s sleep. In fact, if I dose too high prior to bedtime I'm groggy the next morning. From what I can discern the Russians injected the stuff. I have even read excerpts where modern day bodybuilders have injected ecdy with great results. It obviously has to be modified in order to be injected.
    I've just started running the new I-Force ECDY. This is my first time on an ecdysterone product so I am watching carefully as apparently there are responders and non-responders. Perhaps those who respond are somehow better able to get the ecdy into their bloodstream either through less efficient liver mechanisms or perhaps something found in the digestion/uptake chain. I am really hoping that I am a responder as this product sounds too good to be true.
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.87%

just wondering why dont people just drink grapefruit juice to help with the digestion and biovaliablity of Ecdy?
  39. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.86%

I haven't responded because there isn't much to respond to. Any compound in its pure form will have an MSDS which claims it can be harmful if inhaled or touched with skin. This is true for caffeine...vitamin c...everything. Ecdy can not and will not cause cancer.
  40. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post
    I haven't responded because there isn't much to respond to. Any compound in its pure form will have an MSDS which claims it can be harmful if inhaled or touched with skin. This is true for caffeine...vitamin c...everything. Ecdy can not and will not cause cancer.
    Thank u

Similar Forum Threads

1. ecdy
    By standon in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 12:05 PM
  2. Did NP run out of ECDY before you could get any?
    By VaughnTrue in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 12:37 AM
  3. what ecdy product do you like best??
    By just93 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 06:03 PM
  4. are these all ECDY the same?
    By davidcyt in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 02:02 PM
  5. Replies: 6