dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a claim to prevent illness, just an observation of my experience.

Since releasing the original Gut Health, I have no succumbed to any illnesses other than a minor "off-day". Since releasing the new Gut Health, I have been steadily taking 1 per day for several months.

A few days ago I started feeling like I was getting sick (sore throat, general malaise, stuffiness) so upped my intake back to 2 caps. As of today, I am symptom-free.

I am confident that I will be able to make it through the entire season without getting sick.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Give me enough for an entire season and I will tell you if I get sick.
If you tried to swallow all of those caps you would for sure get sick.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm using gut health now, and my wife and son both got sick, but I have been able to avoid getting their flu. I'd definitely say Gut Health has helped (I'm at the 1 cap maintenance dose).

vasu

Awards
Actually, I was just about to post something about this...

I've been taking 2 caps a day for about 3 weeks, and the other day I woke up feeling a little stuffy, this is always the first sign that I'm about to get a sore throat and have a cold or come down with something.

Only thing is, it never progressed past the stuffiness, and even that was gone

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im on bottle 3 i think of gut health and my wife and coworkers have been sick, but not I!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been wanting to try this again. The old version didn't do much for me. Sadly rent,electric,internet,car,car insurance all due some late. Maybe if I live in a box I'll have enough money for my supplements. I'm up to four heaping tablespoons of Psyllium husk to control my IBS though. It works but my body seems to be becoming accustomed to it.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
I loved the old gut health, honestly, I havent gotten around to trying the new one yet, but one of these days I plan to.

Ev52

Ev52

Awards
  • Established
I loved the old gut health, honestly, I havent gotten around to trying the new one yet, but one of these days I plan to.
Nothing beats gut health. I've been on consistently since the original came out. You need to order some asap! There's a buy two get one free deal if you look around....

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
This is very interesting. I don't get sick often but when I do I really get set back. If I can go all winter with out getting sick I will progress much further than past years.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just came down with something on Wednesday, skipped the gym Wednesday and today. Really want to get back to it tomorrow but don't want to cause myself to get more sick faster. Hate having to take days off.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I just came down with something on Wednesday, skipped the gym Wednesday and today. Really want to get back to it tomorrow but don't want to cause myself to get more sick faster. Hate having to take days off.
I hope it passes quickly. My biggest problem is not eating when I am sick. Or what I eat.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Sh*t! I've been sick for the past 5 days and haven't been in the gym!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hope it passes quickly. My biggest problem is not eating when I am sick. Or what I eat.
I'm going back to the gym tomorrow. It doesn't seem so bad now. Last night I was shivering though and also was having trouble breathing, and massive pain in stomach so much that I could barely stand up. Actually I went to the ER. Was debating or not I should go the ER but when I started having trouble breathing I just went. Felt fine when I got there and even debated if I should actually go inside. Finally went inside and they just told me it was the start of a viral infection after I had some blood drawn.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a claim to prevent illness, just an observation of my experience.

Since releasing the original Gut Health, I have no succumbed to any illnesses other than a minor "off-day". Since releasing the new Gut Health, I have been steadily taking 1 per day for several months.

A few days ago I started feeling like I was getting sick (sore throat, general malaise, stuffiness) so upped my intake back to 2 caps. As of today, I am symptom-free.
I am confident that I will be able to make it through the entire season without getting sick.
This makes sense...

"Bacillus subtilis is used to produce many antibiotics, such as difficidin, oxydifficidin, bacilli, bacillomyin B, and Bacitracin, which is helpful in treating bacterial skin infections and preventing infection in minor cuts and burns."
Bacillus Subtilis

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I found this at http://www.probiotic.org/lactobacillus-casei.htm

Lactobacillus Casei

INTRODUCTION

Lactobacillus casei, more commonly referred to as L. casei, is a harmless, nonpathogenic microorganism that has been widely recognized for the attributes and properties it possesses that have been found to be beneficial to the human body. L. casei is a type of bacteria that helps protect the human body from disease and illness by restricting the growth of various types of harmful bacteria that cause infection and be detrimental to an individual's health. According to the World Health Organization and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations probiotics are "live microorganisms, which, when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host."(1) Because of the benefits L. casei offers it is typically categorized as a probiotic.

LACTOBACILLUS CASEI

Lactobacillus casei is a beneficial bacteria that is found naturally in both the mouth and intestines of human beings. It produces lactic acid which helps lower pH levels in the digestive system and impedes the growth of harmful bacteria. L. casei may be found in “raw or fermented dairy and fresh or fermented plant products.”(2) These sources may include yogurt, cheese, and other types of food sources such as fermented green olives.(3) According to some reports, “Scientists have found [Lactobacillus casei] to possess beneficial properties that support human health. It is able to improve and promote digestion. Some strains of the bacteria help control diarrhea, while other strains have an anti-inflammatory effect on the gut. Other advantageous effects include reducing lactose intolerance, alleviating constipation, and even modulation of the immune system.”(3) Because “friendly bacteria are vital to proper development of the immune system, to protection against microorganisms that could cause disease, and to the digestion and absorption of food and nutrients”(1) ensuring that the body has an appropriate amount of L. casei inhabiting the body is important. This may especially true for individuals suffering from Crohn's disease and critically ill children suffering from diarrhea.

CROHN'S DISEASE

Crohn's disease is a type of IBD and can affect any part of the gastrointestinal tract (GIT), but the area of the GIT most commonly affected by Crohn's disease is the color or small intestine.(5) The symptoms of Crohn's disease generally include abdominal pain, diarrhea, weight loss, and vomiting. When an individuals has Crohn's disease their body reacts inappropriately to good bacteria for harmful bacteria and the body begins to attack the good bacteria. When this occurs “the body sends white blood cells into the lining of the intestines, where they produce chronic inflammation. These cells then generate harmful products that ultimately lead to ulcerations and bowel injury.”(5) This process leads to Crohn's disease.

Doctors understand that “the interaction of commensal bacteria with the intestinal immune system is an essential factor in the development of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).”(4) Therefore, a study was conducted to determine if Lactobacillus casei had any affect on the symptoms of Crohn's disease. The conclusions of the study indicate that “live L. casei can counteract the pro-inflammatory effects of E. coli on [Crohn's disease].”(4)

DIARRHEA IN CRITICALLY ILL CHILDREN

According to a 2006 study, “there is increasing evidence that probiotics decrease the incidence of acute infectious and nosocomial and antibiotic induced diarrhea among children hospitalized in non-intensive care settings.”(6) Furthermore, “L. casei has been used safely and with positive effects for when given to critically ill children suffering form diarrhea.”(6)

CONCLUSION

Lactobacillus casei is described as a “beneficial microorganism [that] helps to promote other beneficial bacteria [growth] and prevents the overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria in the human body. In particular it helps with the growth of beneficial bacteria such as Lactobacillus acidophilus, which can help prevent conditions such as constipation and irritable bowel syndrome.”(6)

References:
1. An Introduction to Probiotics, published by the National Center fro Complementary and Alternative Medicine, National Institutes of Health, 2008.

2. Lactobacillus Casei ATTC 334, published by the DOE Joint Genome Institute, United States Department of Energy, unknown.

3. Lactobacillus Casei, published by Citizendium, The Citizens' Compendium, 2009.

4. Lactobacillus Casei Downregulates Commensals' Inflammatory Signals in Crohn's Disease Mucosa, published in inflammatory Bowel Diseases, Wiley InterScience, 2008.

5. About Crohn's Disease, published by Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America, 2009.

6. Underwood, C. (unknown). What is Lactobacillus Casei? Published by eHOw.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established

Lactobacillus casei is described as a “beneficial microorganism [that] helps to promote other beneficial bacteria [growth] and prevents the overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria in the human body. In particular it helps with the growth of beneficial bacteria such as Lactobacillus acidophilus, which can help prevent conditions such as constipation and irritable bowel syndrome.
Its possible that the prevention of the overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria in the body cause by L. casei would assist in keeping illness at bay.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dodged another bullet. Step son ended up in a puking/sick fit starting thursday. Other than a slight ache that was gone within 12 hours, I still feel great!

How much would you value making it through an entire winter season without getting sick at all? Not just gym gains, but not having to burn sick days?

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I hate using my PTO for sick days. Where I work it all comes out of the same pool. I'd much rather use PTO for things like St Pattys day or the first nice day after a long winter.

Not even using sick days. I go to work unless I'm really bad. How would I feel not going into work feeling like death all winter? Well I would feel awesome! Plus winter and holiday season is were the over time is so the healthier I stay the longer I can work! 16 hour shifts hell yeah!

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm right there with you. I've been out of the gym for the past 3 1/2 weeks as a result of being sick and pushing myself back into the gym too soon. I'll try and start back up again this week.

I was training 6 days a week, 4-5 of those days, I was training twice a day. My body was broken down and I ended up catching something at work. Needless to say, I thought (mostly because I get bored if I'm not doing something active) that all I needed was a few days off, but after two days, I got bored and decided I was okay and ready to start pushing again. I must have substantially lowered my immune response and started to feel like hell for the next 2 weeks. I'm just NOW starting to recover and feel like myself again, but maybe I should order some of this stuff to boost my immune response to heavy training. Next time, I may just take the entire week off if I feel like I'm catching something.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I'm right there with you. I've been out of the gym for the past 3 1/2 weeks as a result of being sick and pushing myself back into the gym too soon. I'll try and start back up again this week.

I was training 6 days a week, 4-5 of those days, I was training twice a day. My body was broken down and I ended up catching something at work. Needless to say, I thought (mostly because I get bored if I'm not doing something active) that all I needed was a few days off, but after two days, I got bored and decided I was okay and ready to start pushing again. I must have substantially lowered my immune response and started to feel like hell for the next 2 weeks. I'm just NOW starting to recover and feel like myself again, but maybe I should order some of this stuff to boost my immune response to heavy training. Next time, I may just take the entire week off if I feel like I'm catching something.
Dont forget to take your CNS into consideration. It wouldnt hurt to de load for a week with such an intense training schedule.