NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
many, many things...

Br J Nutr. 2005 Dec;94(6):1012-25.
[h=1]Dietary fibre-rich oat-based products affect serum lipids, microbiota, formation of short-chain fatty acids and steroids in rats.[/h]Drzikova B, Dongowski G, Gebhardt E.
[h=3]Source[/h]German Institute of Human Nutrition Potsdam-Rehbruecke, Research Group Food Chemistry and Preventive Nutrition, D-14558 Nuthetal, Germany.

[h=3]Abstract[/h]Wistar rats (ten per group) were fed either an oat-free control diet or a dietary fibre-rich test diet containing 500 g oat-based products/kg for 6 weeks. The oat-based products, containing 4-128 g/kg resistant starch, 30-92 g/kg beta-glucan and 122-304 g/kg total dietary fibre, were oat flour extrudate, flour/Novelose (commercial resistant starch) extrudate (80:20 w/w), oat bran, bran/Novelose extrudate (80:20 w/w) and autoclaved oat flour. Serum total cholesterol decreased in the groups fed flour, flour/Novelose and bran/Novelose (P<0.05). In most of the test groups, count numbers of bifidobacteria were higher (P<0.001) and of coliforms were lower (P<0.05). The mass of the caecum walls and contents was greater in groups fed Novelose- and bran-containing diets (P<0.005). In all the test groups, pH values were lower in the intestinal contents (P<0.001), and caecal concentrations of acetate (P<0.001), propionate (P<0.05), butyrate (P<0.005) and total SCFA (P<0.001) were higher. The lowest concentrations of steroids were found in rats fed the autoclaved flour. In the other test groups, more bile acids appeared in the caecal (P<0.001) and colonic contents (P<0.005), as well as in the faeces, at week 6 (P<0.001). The highest bile acid excretion was found after feeding bran-containing diets. In the intestinal contents of all the test groups, more primary bile acids (P<0.001) appeared than in the control group. The excretion of steroids increased within the experimental period. Using extrusion technology, dietary fibre-rich oat-based products, which have beneficial physiological effects in rats, can be produced. Oat flour and bran are excellent sources for the preparation of directly edible oat products. Their nutritional properties can be further improved by the addition of resistant starch.

PMID:16351781 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Br J Nutr. 2011 Aug 3:1-11. [Epub ahead of print]
[h=1]Effect of 6 weeks' consumption of β-glucan-rich oat products on cholesterol levels in mildly hypercholesterolaemic overweight adults.[/h]Charlton KE, Tapsell LC, Batterham MJ, O'Shea J, Thorne R, Beck E, Tosh SM.
[h=3]Source[/h]Smart Foods Centre, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia.

[h=3]Abstract[/h]Several regulatory bodies have approved a health claim on the cholesterol-lowering effects of oat β-glucan at levels of 3·0 g/d. The present study aimed to test whether 1·5 g/d β-glucan provided as ready-to-eat oat flakes was as effective in lowering cholesterol as 3·0 g/d from oats porridge. A 6-week randomised controlled trial was conducted in eighty-seven mildly hypercholesterolaemic ( ≥ 5 mmol/l and < 7·5 mmol/l) men and women assigned to one of three diet arms (25 % energy (E%) protein; 45 E% carbohydrate; 30 E% fat, at energy requirements for weight maintenance): (1) minimal β-glucan (control); (2) low-dose oat β-glucan (1·5 g β-glucan; oats low - OL) or (3) higher dose oat β-glucan (3·0 g β-glucan; oats high - OH). Changes in total cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol (LDL-C) from baseline were assessed using a linear mixed model and repeated-measures ANOVA, adjusted for weight change. Total cholesterol reduced significantly in all groups ( - 7·8 (sd 13·8) %, - 7·2 (sd 12·4) % and - 5·5 (sd 9·3) % in the OH, OL and control groups), as did LDL-C ( - 8·4 (sd 18·5) %, - 8·5 (sd 18·5) % and - 5·5 (sd 12·4) % in the OH, OL and control groups), but between-group differences were not significant. In responders only (n 60), β-glucan groups had higher reductions in LDL-C ( - 18·3 (sd 11·1) % and - 18·1 (sd 9·2) % in the OH and OL groups) compared with controls ( - 11·7 (sd 7·9) %; P = 0·044). Intakes of oat β-glucan were as effective at doses of 1·5 g/d compared with 3 g/d when provided in different food formats that delivered similar amounts of soluble β-glucan.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
This really helps me understand why I can put on more muscle lean bulking than going on the mcy Ds diet. It's no were near as gratifying to bulk with clean foods (for my pallet) but the cleaner my bulk the more strength/ mass I seem to put on. I always wondered If it was placebo, or I just didn't have the fat gain from a regular bulk so I appeared bigger.

Oats is a daily staple for a bulk or cut. Often I use a coffee grinder to grind them fine for shakes. I am also a fan of oat meal and cinnamon (cinnamon has the added GDA benefit)

I also notice a difference in energy depending on the carb source I use. This is very interesting! Thank you.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Coffee grinder gets to be a real pain after a while. If only there were some kind of blend that could just be scooped into shakes.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Coffee grinder gets to be a real pain after a while. If only there were some kind of blend that could just be scooped into shakes.
If only there was. I get home from costco with my big box of oats and spend 45-60 mins grinding them into powder and put them in a large ziplock bag with a .5cup measuring cup for a scooper. I use 1-3 scoops depending on my macro needs...

Also there is the texture. Most of the oats settle to the bottom when I put them in shakes. I enjoy the grittiness but it's not for everyone.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
If only there was. I get home from costco with my big box of oats and spend 45-60 mins grinding them into powder and put them in a large ziplock bag with a .5cup measuring cup for a scooper. I use 1-3 scoops depending on my macro needs...

Also there is the texture. Most of the oats settle to the bottom when I put them in shakes. I enjoy the grittiness but it's not for everyone.
I very much dislike the grittiness but it certainly helps when cutting down for me.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very interesting!

I started using oats in my shakes regularly and even postworkout about 2-3 years ago and haven't looked back.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting!

I started using oats in my shakes regularly and even postworkout about 2-3 years ago and haven't looked back.
I also will add a bit of EVOO sometimes when I want extra calories. That is my home made weight gainer. It tastes like a liquid cookie to me!

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
I also will add a bit of EVOO sometimes when I want extra calories. That is my home made weight gainer. It tastes like a liquid cookie to me!
Would prefer EVCO :eek:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You guys will like what i'm working on then.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Matt any more information ab-oat this?

Seems like a good match for slinsane!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Other than it should be available within 2 weeks?

Yes, this is a perfect preworkout or postworkout, combined with SlinSane (sale perhaps??). It will be a good all-around carb source.

P

phantom

Awards
  • Established
wasnt there something about plcar and polyphenols in this too? and for real-2 weeks!?

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is, Muscle Feast sells oat powder and I can buy oat flour in the grocery store by me. The oat powder I hear is the shiznit and I want to get some for those times I need a slow carb with a shake. Just google Muscle Feast, you will find it DSade.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
PLCAR and Polyphenols...yes, those are definitely some of the Basyx.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
PLCAR and Polyphenols...yes, those are definitely some of the Basyx.
Its starting to sound like a daily supp, built more around improving physical performance not keeping vits in check lol, so interdasted

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ET Phone home...Phone ET call E?

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
It's funny how much health can effect performance both positive and negative.

gainweightnow

gainweightnow

Board Sponsor
Awards
Meta-analysis of the effect of beta-glucan intake on blood cholesterol and glucose levels

Source
NUTRITION Volume: 27 Issue: 10 Pages: 1008-1016 DOI: 10.1016/j.nut.2010.11.006 Published: OCT 2011

Abstract
Objective: A meta-analysis was performed on epidemiologic studies to assess the relation between beta-glucan consumption from oats and from barley on blood cholesterol level, triglyceride/triacylglycerol (TGL/TAG) level, and blood glucose level (BGL) in humans. In addition, the effect of beta-glucanon total cholesterol (TC) and BGL was translated into an empirical dose-response model.

Methods: Thirty research articles that evaluated the effect of different exposure levels of beta-glucan on blood cholesterol and BGL were analyzed, yielding 126 clinical studies.

Results: There was a significant inverse relation in TC (-0.60 mmol/L, 95% confidence interval [Cl] -0.85 to -0.34), low-density lipoprotein (-0.66 mmol/L, 95% Cl -0.96 to -0.36), and TGL/TAG (-0.04 mmol/L, 95% Cl -0.15 to 0.07) after consumption of beta-glucan. In contrast, an increase in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol was noted (0.03 mmol/L, 95% Cl -0.06 to 0.13) with the random-effect model. The analysis showed a significant change in BGL (-2.58 mmol/L, 95% Cl -3.22 to -1.84) with high heterogeneity between (I(2) = 97%) and across (tau(2) = 5.88) the studies. The fixed-effect model showed a significant change in TC, low-density lipoprotein, and BGL, whereas it showed no significant changes in high-density lipoprotein and TGL/TAG. The dose-response model showed that a 3-g/d dose of oat or barley beta-glucan was sufficient to decrease TC.

Conclusion: Consumption of 3 g/d of oat or barley beta-glucan is sufficient to decrease blood cholesterol, whereas the effect on BGL is still inconclusive, with high heterogeneity, and requires further clinical research studies with longer intervention periods. (C) 2011 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

gainweightnow

gainweightnow

Board Sponsor
Awards
Cholesterol-lowering effects of oat beta-glucan

Source
NUTRITION REVIEWS Volume: 69 Issue: 6 Pages: 299-309 DOI: 10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00401.x Published: JUN 2011

Abstract
Elevated total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels are considered major risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Oat beta-glucan, a soluble dietary fiber that is found in the endosperm cell walls of oats, has generated considerable interest due to its cholesterol-lowering properties. The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a health claim for beta-glucan soluble fiber from oats for reducing plasma cholesterol levels and risk of heart disease in 1997. Similarly, in 2004 the United Kingdom Joint Health Claims Initiative (JHCI) allowed a cholesterol-lowering health claim foroat beta-glucan. The present review aims to investigate if results from more recent studies are consistent with the original conclusions reached by the FDA and JHCI. Results of this analysis show that studies conducted during the past 13 years support the suggestion that intake of oat beta-glucan at daily doses of at least 3 g may reduce plasma total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels by 5-10% in normocholesterolemic or hypercholesterolemic subjects. Studies described herein have shown that, on average, oat consumption is associated with 5% and 7% reductions in total and LDL cholesterol levels, respectively. Significant scientific agreement continues to support a relationship between oat beta-glucan and blood cholesterol levels, with newer data being consistent with earlier conclusions made by the FDA and JHCI.

gainweightnow

gainweightnow

Board Sponsor
Awards
Beta-glucan- or rice bran-enriched foods: a comparative crossover clinical trial on lipidic pattern in mildly hypercholesterolemic men

Source
EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION Volume: 65 Issue: 7 Pages: 864-871 DOI: 10.1038/ejcn.2011.48 Published: JUL 2011

Abstract
Background/Objectives: There has been growing interest in using dietary intervention to improve the lipid profile. This work aims at analyzing the effects and the comparison of the enrichment of a diet with beta-glucans or rice bran in mildly hypercholesterolemic men.

Subjects/Methods: The subjects initially consumed a 3-week Step 1 American Heart Association diet with rice bran-enriched foods. After this adaptation period, volunteers were randomly assigned to follow a crossover, controlled trial that consisted of two treatment with beta-glucan-or rice bran-enriched foods, each of 4 weeks, with a 3-week wash-out, like the adaptation period, between periods. Fasted blood samples were collected on days 0, 21, 49, 70 and 98 in both study arms for measuring low-density lipoprotein (LDL)-cholesterol (primary outcome), total cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL)-cholesterol, triglycerides, apolipoprotein (apo) A-I, apo B and glucose levels.

Results: Twenty-four men (mean age: 50.3 +/- 5.3, mean body mass index: 24.9 +/- 1.9) completed the 14-week trial. Subjects in the 3-week adaptation period experienced significant reductions in the mean change of LDL cholesterol, total cholesterol, total cholesterol/HDL cholesterol, LDL cholesterol/HDL cholesterol, apo A-I, apo A-I/apo B and glucose. During the intervention diet periods, a difference was found between treatment groups for the mean change in LDL (0.21 (95% confidence interval (CI): 0.02-0.40), P=0.033) and total cholesterol (0.34 (95% CI: 0.20-0.47), P<0.001). Other parameters evaluated were not significantly affected by the diet consumed.

Conclusions: The results of the present crossover clinical trial showed that beta-glucan-enriched foods are more effective in lowering serum LDL levels, compared with rice bran-enriched foods. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2011) 65, 864-871; doi:10.1038/ejcn.2011.48; published online 20 April 2011

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get Swedish Oat starch from True Protein. I love using it intra,post, and when wanting an inbetween quick meal.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I get Swedish Oat starch from True Protein. I love using it intra,post, and when wanting an inbetween quick meal.
How well does that mix? What do you usually mix it with?

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It mixes up perfectly. I use 1 scoop intra with BCAAs and then 1 scoop post with WPI.