WHEELS From HELL - ARTICLE about Training Around Injuries

fmoncas

fmoncas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The following is an article that i wrote a few months ago about my own experiece dealing with an injury. The article is about finding ways to keep training while injured, working around them and getting something positive out of them. Being injured is not an excuse to get depressed and stop training...injuries happen all the time and they are only obstacles along the way that we need to overcome.

I hope you like it :veryhappy:

Wheels from Hell
By Pro Natural Bodybuilder Francisco Montealegre

The ORIGIN

I couldn’t find a more suitable name for this leg workout…I was trying to name it and all that I came out of mind was all the pain that I had to endure while doing it!....Well, it all started back in fall 2008 at the end of a long off-season for me. Everything was going according to my plans and I was feeling like I had made good improvements to my physique…. until it happened!!.. It Hurt just to remember…I was in the middle of a very intense squat session when after the 10th rep I decided to go for two more…I took a deep breath and I went all the way down then I pushed as hard as I could when I felt like if somebody stabbed me in the back!! Ouch!!....A sharp pain like an electric shock passed thru my body and instantly I knew that something was wrong…very wrong!

I managed to put all that weight back to the squat rack. My back hurt just by breathing…my head was inundated with feelings….. How was I able to make that stupid mistake? How could I hurt myself just a few months before starting my prep? Now What? My head was out of the game…my workout and perhaps my competition plans were over!

Like a wounded animal I left the gym with my morale on the floor. That night was pretty bad not only because my spine hurt like crazy but also because I couldn’t stop thinking about it. The frustration of ruining in a moment almost 2 years of preparation was killing me. Next day with a fresh mind I was back in the game..I constantly repeated in my head “No injury will stay on my way. My strength doesn’t come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will…and I will find a way around this”. To Stop Working out my legs was not an option.

The PROBLEM and the SOLUTION

The only few exercises that I could think of that will allow me to train my legs and keep my injury safe was the Leg press, leg curl and leg extension. So I decided to design a workout around those 3 exercises. However the workout needed to have a good foundation and be based on science or I would be wasting my time. After a lot of research I came across a Hungarian leg workout that was similar to what I was planning to do. It was a simple workout that consisted on 3 exercises (the squat, leg curls and leg extensions) so I decided to use it as a template and modify it to my own needs.

Attachments

fmoncas

fmoncas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The ABERRATION

Ready!... Here we go!

Phase 1: Week 1 to Week 3
a. Leg Presses (1 set)
b. Leg Extensions (3 sets x 20-25 reps)
c. Leg Curls (3 sets x 10-15 Reps)

Phase 2: Week 4 to Week 6
a. Leg Presses (2 sets)
b. Leg Extensions (3 sets x 20-25 reps)
c. Leg Curls (3 sets x 10-15 Reps)

That’s it…..well you probably are thinking “this piece of Cr##P does not look hard at all? ..but before you stop reading thinking that you have wasted your time wait because things on paper look deceiving.
There are a few small details that I haven’t talk about yet…Just Remember “the devil is in the details”

Evil DETAILS

First I have to mention that since the bread and butter of this workout is the leg press all the techniques explained below will be applied only to that exercise. As far as the other exercises (leg curl & Leg extensions) focus on hitting the targeted reps using as much weight as you can controlling each rep and keeping a good form.

1.Frequency:

(Phase 1 & 2)
My training partners and bodybuilding friends knows that I am a frequency junkie. I love frequency and I am a firm believer that it plays a major role in muscular growth. In addition some of the best programs that I have used in the past are based on frequency such as Layne Norton’s Programs for example. On top of that it is hard to ignore real world evidence with athletes in every sport. The Huge quads of speed skaters come to mind or the gymnast’s big backs and biceps. In conclusion frequency works and that is the reason to perform this workout 2 times per week. Make sure you spread each workout 3-4 days apart to make sure adequate recovery.

2.Time Under Tension :

This is another favorite of mine while training legs. We will focus on achieve longer TUT by doing high rep sets. To explain this further I will write a section from one of coach Poliquin’s articles “One study, performed in 1973, showed that as little as one high-rep workout was enough to double the amount of mitochondria in muscle cells. I think this is one reason why cyclists and speed skaters have such large quadriceps – they expose the muscles to an extreme amount of time under tension, thus facilitating capillary growth and hypertrophy of lower threshold motor units”.

In addition high rep sets can increase muscle capillary density which will further enhance recovery capacity as well as work capacity. Also The body doesn’t know reps or sets it only respond to stress and stimuli….so if you do a set with 315lbs x 10 reps in 20 seconds your TUT is only 20 seconds……but if you do a set with 200 lbs for 50 reps the result is a greater time under tension and more load lifted … put it in another way moving 315 lbs x 10 = 3150 lbs but if move 200 lbs x 50 times = 10,000 lbs. Ok you got the idea so let’s go back to the workout.

(Phase 1)

The goal here is to keep Constant muscular Tension for the targeted time frame. You hear it right we are going to focus on time and not reps. In addition for the next 3 weeks we are going to add 30 seconds to every workout starting at 2 minutes. As far as weight for the next 6 workouts we are going to use the same weight. Around 30-35% of your 8-10 Rep max for the leg press.

Workout 1: Leg Press – 1 set x 2.00 minutes
Workout 2: Leg Press – 1 set x 2.30 minutes
Workout 3: Leg Press – 1 set x 3.00 minutes
Workout 4: Leg Press – 1 set x 3.30 minutes
Workout 5: Leg Press – 1 set x 4.00 minutes
Workout 6: Leg Press – 1 set x 4.30 minutes

(Phase 2)

On phase 2 we are going to change things up a little bit. First, for the remaining 6 workouts we are going to go back to the original time frame (2:00 minutes) and we are going to increase the weight at every workout. I recommend increasing the weight between 15 to 25%. Second, instead of doing one set we are going to add an extra set for a total of two sets.

Workout 7: Leg Press – 2 sets x 2.00 minutes (add weight)
Workout 8: Leg Press – 2 sets x 2.00 minutes (add weight)
Workout 9: Leg Press – 2 sets x 2.00 minutes (add weight)
Workout 10: Leg Press – 2 sets x 2.00 minutes (add weight)
Workout 11: Leg Press – 2 sets x 2.00 minutes (add weight)
Workout 12: Leg Press – 2 sets x 2.00 minutes (add weight)

3.Acceleration

(Phase 1 & 2)
The goal here is SPEED!!!!!!!... Let me explain the logic behind going fast. Force equals mass times acceleration for instance as speed goes up the force generated also goes up in other words the goal is trying to produce more force by lifting the load faster. In theory by producing more force more muscle fibers will be recruited which is the ultimate goal. Therefore, from weeks 1 to 6 your objective will be to go as fast as you can regardless of the weight or the time frame used. You need to resemble a machine while doing each set (Constant motion) just like a piston sort of way.
Last but not least you don’t have to stop or let the muscle relax for a second during the set because also the objective is to restrict oxygen and blood entry in the leg muscle!! This will lead to the production of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS), which increase muscle satellite cell activation and proliferation, two important phenomenon involved in the muscle growth process. In other words you need to keep a constant motion in order to never let the muscle relax. The good news is that this is only in theory because in practice the pain will be so much that you will be forced to stop. In real life I took a few short 1-2 second breaks to keep going but my goal was always try to tolerate the pain as much as I could by getting as many reps as possible without taking any breaks. For example I recall taken my first rest when I hit 62 reps in one of my workouts….be ready to feel your legs on fire.

4.Progressive overload

Phase 1 & 2
This is the one of the most well known ways to get stronger and muscular by athletes and bodybuilders everywhere. The method is simple and I am not going to get into the details. As explained above we will be adding more weight or time through all the 6 weeks in order to cover this important principle too.

In Summary

1.Perform 1 set of leg presses adding time at each workout (weeks 1 to 3)
2.Perform 2 sets of leg presses adding weight at each workout(weeks 4 to 6)
3.You will do 3 sets of leg curls + 3 sets of leg extensions after leg presses (weeks 1 to 6)
4.Work your legs 2 times per week
5.Keep muscular tension for the targeted time frame for as long as you can
6.Perform each set as fast as you can safely
7.Minimize breaks during set ( 1-2 second breaks are recommended if you can)

What CAN You EXPECT

After 6 grueling weeks I was extremely happy with my results. I was not only able to put ½” on my legs but also my injury was healed. My legs grew from 26.5” to 27” at the end of the program. In addition once I resumed my regular leg workout I noticed an increase in strength on my other exercises.

Also I want to remind you that in order to make this work you will need to eat plenty of calories. Enough protein, carbs and essential fats will be your best friends. Nothing works without good nutrition period.

It took around 20 minutes to finish each workout but I can tell you that I could barely walk my way back home each time. It is extremely painful if you follow it to a T ….however if you push thru the pain you won’t be disappointed with the results. I am sure many will attempt it but only a few will finish it….The question is are you ready to set your legs on fire for 6 weeks and emerge with a new set of wheels…..?

Attachments

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
nice

Silver3CSRT8

Silver3CSRT8

Awards
  • Established
I gave that workout a shot today. Since tearing my L4/L5 disk I have been unable to really go too heavy on squats. Recently I had a heal injury and patella tendonitis that has also caused more issues going heavy. I was only able to do 1min, 40 sec on leg press before having to stop. However, I did come back and hit another 30 seconds worth later. I wonder how bad DOMs will be tomorrow.

Thanks for posting this. I need to find some way to get my legs to grow while not being able to go as heavy as I would like!

fmoncas

fmoncas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I gave that workout a shot today. Since tearing my L4/L5 disk I have been unable to really go too heavy on squats. Recently I had a heal injury and patella tendonitis that has also caused more issues going heavy. I was only able to do 1min, 40 sec on leg press before having to stop. However, I did come back and hit another 30 seconds worth later. I wonder how bad DOMs will be tomorrow.

Thanks for posting this. I need to find some way to get my legs to grow while not being able to go as heavy as I would like!
You are very welcome bro! i went thru the same back issue and i hope you heal soon. As far as the patella tendonitis make sure you place your feet high on the platform (your shoes should stick out about 2" off the platform) this will create less stress on your knees.

On the other hand you did awesome bro...keep it up and if you have more questions about the workout dont hesitate to ask! i am always around :veryhappy:

Silver3CSRT8

Silver3CSRT8

Awards
  • Established
I am definately feeling DOMs today so I am happy with the results so far. I will have to figure out what day I can throw in the extra leg work to get my 2x per week. That will be more leg work than I have done lately since the doc told me to not work out legs for a while. I took a 3 week break and started back on them 2 weeks ago. I liked this workout because my knees were not killing me after, but my legs were exhausted.

fmoncas

fmoncas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am definately feeling DOMs today so I am happy with the results so far. I will have to figure out what day I can throw in the extra leg work to get my 2x per week. That will be more leg work than I have done lately since the doc told me to not work out legs for a while. I took a 3 week break and started back on them 2 weeks ago. I liked this workout because my knees were not killing me after, but my legs were exhausted.
I am glad to hear that bro,,....on the other hand since you are recovering make sure you ice your knees for 15 minutes after every workout and Foam roll them too. In addition dont push as hard as you would do it normaly...just listen to your body. Finally even if your muscles are sore you can do the 2nd workout..soreness is not an indication that you cant workout. Oh...and dont forget your fish oil, glucosamine

This workout also will help you recover from your injured knee....the huge blood pump is going to deliver a lot of nutrients to your joints and remove waste.

Later

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Great read and awesome motivation man!

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
For me it is a catch 22. If I do presses and place my feet higher then the stress is on my hams but my L5 is gone so that would be nearing the danger zone for me.

However, if I go with the feet lower then the stress is more on my knees but I have lost a bit of flexibility in my right knee due to imbalances from the back issues as well as damaged cartilage due to knee tracking issues from the imbalance ...

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
What exactly was your injury? Rupture or just slight tear if it was a disk?

Silver3CSRT8

Silver3CSRT8

Awards
  • Established
What exactly was your injury? Rupture or just slight tear if it was a disk?
If you are asking me, it was a tear. There was tons of sciatic pain initially and I had 2 spinal injections which helped, then I aggrivated it again lifting and it hurt much worse. I had 2 more spinal injections after that. Since those I have been doing tons of core work and all the pain is gone. However, no more heavy squats and absolutely no more deadlifts for me.

If you weren't asking me...I felt you should know anyway. :)

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im definately gonna give this a go!!

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
If you are asking me, it was a tear. There was tons of sciatic pain initially and I had 2 spinal injections which helped, then I aggrivated it again lifting and it hurt much worse. I had 2 more spinal injections after that. Since those I have been doing tons of core work and all the pain is gone. However, no more heavy squats and absolutely no more deadlifts for me.

Hmmm, yeah, I think we talked about your injury last year?

Pretty sure we did but I was asking the Op about his.

thanks though, I was wondering where you were with the injury to this point...

Originally Posted by hardknock
Yea basically its torn open so its ozzing. We are going to try 6 weeks of therapy with minimal to no lower body compression (deadlifts, leg presses, rack deads or squats and military presses) are out for at least 3 mths.
So therapy and a knowledgeable chiropractor in sports injury will be my plan of attack. I am going to give everything 6-9 mths for healing and if nothing improves then I will have to look into invasive surgery...probably fusion.

Grunt76 had a solid thread on his herniated disk and he was pretty on point from what he said about remedies.
......Silver3CSRT8
FUK dude. Here I am bitching about my back pain and you got it worse. I am sorry to hear about that.

I spoke with the Dr. again and I am going to go in Tuesday for an eval with another doc about getting an epidural into that area to help with the constant hip pain.
^I think that was like April of last year....

fmoncas

fmoncas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
For me it is a catch 22. If I do presses and place my feet higher then the stress is on my hams but my L5 is gone so that would be nearing the danger zone for me.

However, if I go with the feet lower then the stress is more on my knees but I have lost a bit of flexibility in my right knee due to imbalances from the back issues as well as damaged cartilage due to knee tracking issues from the imbalance ...
I am sorry to hear about your injuries bro...Perhaps you can test different foot positions on the platform to see what feels confortable...i have found that sometimes just changing a little the grip, the angle, distance helps to remove the stress from the injured tissue.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us :veryhappy:

fmoncas

fmoncas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

I remember being frustrated because i was not going to be able to squat anymore because of my injury but i have found ways to push my legs hard without putting too much stress on my back... the thruth is that squat is just a tool and there are plenty out there that we can use to build massive legs :veryhappy: