whats is the test to become a cop

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
The ones they give you in the schooling for becoming one....?
You know you need a degree right? Criminal Justice.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
The ones they give you in the schooling for becoming one....?
You know you need a degree right? Criminal Justice.
You don't need a degree to become a cop, most of the time all that is need is a High school diploma or GED. Usually different police districts will offer some sort of examine or they will have a police academy for you to apply to.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
You don't need a degree to become a cop, most of the time all that is need is a High school diploma or GED. Usually different police districts will offer some sort of examine or they will have a police academy for you to apply to.
Thats kind of what i meant for school....was the academy or such.....
Touche again mr miller.....touche....:clap2:

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Thats kind of what i meant for school....was the academy or such.....
Touche again mr miller.....touche....:clap2:
LOL I was thinking after I submitted this, " he's probably thinking I am just going around trying to prove him wrong." well I am :toofunny: jk bud. I only know because one of my old room mates tried to get a job as a cop, state trooper, and prison guard and he didn't need a degree for any of those positions.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
whats on the test??
From what I have heard it is a lot of questions that try to discover your character. They will give you situations and want to know how you would respond. I believe there may be some basic knowledge such as math, etc but I am not sure. Like I said I have never taken a test but I know a few people who have. Hopefully someone on the board can help you out more, if not just ask Ronnie Coleman, he's was a traffic cop I believe.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
there is no test. You dont need a degree but later on you will have to if you want to move up in the ranks. You just need to sign up for the academy at a local college or school. You will ethier had to save up money and pay for the academy or get hired at a police station and they will sponsor you to the academy and when you grad you will work for them but if you fail out then you will have to pay it all back. I believe you take like 4 test through teh academy on different subjects.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
Most of, if not all, the bigger cities have gone to requiring at least 60 semester hours to apply...after that it varies....typically it will work one of two ways though...first, they will give you a study packet and then the test will ask study material related questions...if not, then the test will simpy be a general aptitude test....thats how it is done here, general aptitude....then it goes to a background check, polygraph, chiefs interview, physical, and then either a hire or not...obviously it will vary from city to city.

holy

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
you talkign about the written test that you have to take before you can apply?

I took this last year..
3 parts (I think)
1st part was reading comprehension
2nd part was questionnaire about yourself and what you would do in certain social circumstances

3rd part I was given 45 mins to memorize about 4 pages.. then i had to put the packet away and answer 60 questions about any possible detail from the packet... not terrible

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you talkign about the written test that you have to take before you can apply?

I took this last year..
3 parts (I think)
1st part was reading comprehension
2nd part was questionnaire about yourself and what you would do in certain social circumstances

3rd part I was given 45 mins to memorize about 4 pages.. then i had to put the packet away and answer 60 questions about any possible detail from the packet... not terrible
yess.. how did u do?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You need to talk with people familiar with your dept. All depts have different criteria and slightly different hiring processes. Some allow laterals, some allow high school diplomas and some require degrees.

Arrest record
Driving Record
Credit report
Personal references
Professional references
Written tests
Psychological tests
Polygraphs
Oral boards
PT tests/agility tests

While we have a few officers here, they can not give you accurate info, outside of generic info, for your particular dept. You should really do proper research before trying to embark into a law enforcement career.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What state do you live in? You need to give us more info if we are going to help you.

If you happen to be going through the process in MA, NH, or VT, feel free to PM me, I've been there, done that myself...

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i PASSED THE Bmore,MD police test

My only concern is, can i be a cop if i stutter?

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wow, they tell you the results that fast! You are lucky! One of the MA civil service tests took almost a year for the scores!

I know someone who just retired from BPD, he said it was...becoming very interesting and busy, let's just say...I am sure you know what I mean if you live nearby...

Good luck!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm familiar with Bmore's testing process. The written is the easy part :) It would depend on how your stutter affects your perconality. Bmore has some rough people and if your stutter causes issues if people make fun of you it may be something they don't want.

Bmore is one of the easiest depts(city not county) to get on in Maryland.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Inner city cops have to deal with a lot more **** than the average cop so to get the people they need their standards are lower and you see the result in the streets. all IMHO though

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
what is it so easy?
If you want to be a cop I suggest you start working on your grammar. Yes it's only an internet message board but your grammar paints a picture of your intelligence whether you like it or not.