1. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

"Have you been a Dad today?"

http://www.fatherhood.org/media/PSAs..._issues_60.MP3
    http://www.fatherhood.org/media/PSAs...Words%2060.mp3

"It takes a man to be a Dad."

YouTube - Dance
    Dance
    A father "lets loose" in a living room dance routine in this spot, called "Dance."
    YouTube - Errand
    Errand
    A shopper makes an "uncomfortable" purchase in this spot, called "Errand."
    YouTube - Lightsaber
    Lightsaber
    A "warrior" fights off seemingly invisible foes in this spot, called "Lightsaber."
    YouTube - Big Daddy
    Big Daddy
    Movie legend Godzilla helps National Fatherhood Initiative get the responsible fatherhood message across in this spot.
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    Tarzan
    Movie legend Tarzan helps National Fatherhood Initiative get the responsible fatherhood message across in this spot.
    YouTube - The Nature of Fatherhood - Elephants
    The Nature of Fatherhood: Elephants
    This spot shows what happens when fathers are removed from a community ... any community.
    YouTube - The Nature of Fatherhood - Lions
    The Nature of Fatherhood: Lions
    This spot shows a young lion cub getting a lesson in roaring from his father.
    YouTube - The Nature of Fatherhood - Penguins
    The Nature of Fatherhood: Penguins
    This PSA highlights the amazing and vital role male emperor penguins play in protecting their young.
    YouTube - Tiger Woods Fatherhood PSA
    The Nature of Fatherhood: Tiger
    A father can change the world ... one child at a time.
    YouTube - Catch
    Catch
    A contemporary look at the quintessential father-son activity.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  295 lbs.

My two boys are the absolute greatest pleasure in the world to me....things like this make me acutely aware of how lucky those of us who have children are...

holy
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Short answer: No
    Long answer: Don't really feel like discussing it but no one to blame but me.
    •   

4. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Well, I'm only one third there most times anyway. My oldest two live far away. Sometimes it feels like complete failure. You and I are neither..so shut up!
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.

I wish my ex would let me be more of a dad.. I love spending time with my son and act like a complete idiot with him when we are playing.. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy, but we always have a great time.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufacturer/advanced-muscle-science/
  6. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

I feel you tp1,

My oldest two are 2000 miles away. I did not fight for my "rights" because I chose not to, trying to have some foresight that one day they will be adults able to make their own choices. Today they both are. I am not exactly thrilled that they still live there. Yet they are influenced by the trappings of a lifestyle of comforts that I could not nor would I provide. Ironically, the very epitome of what the ex said she wanted them not to live.

I am convinced that they will see the depth of my character and when there is a time in there life, and it will come, that they need deep character to rely on, they will know where to find it.

I just got done having a blast with my 18yo this summer. Short visit but all the same a lot of fun for both of us. It has become quality over quantity. I often believe that quantity would deprive us both of that because the the mundane routine and monotony of life and its cares would likely discourage such times as those we have when it counts.
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    I feel you tp1,

My oldest two are 2000 miles away. I did not fight for my "rights" because I chose not to, trying to have some foresight that one day they will be adults able to make their own choices. Today they both are. I am not exactly thrilled that they still live there. Yet they are influenced by the trappings of a lifestyle of comforts that I could not nor would I provide. Ironically, the very epitome of what the ex said she wanted them not to live.

I am convinced that they will see the depth of my character and when there is a time in there life, and it will come, that they need deep character to rely on, they will know where to find it.

I just got done having a blast with my 18yo this summer. Short visit but all the same a lot of fun for both of us. It has become quality over quantity. I often believe that quantity would deprive us both of that because the the mundane routine and monotony of life and its cares would likely discourage such times as those we have when it counts.
    Wise words from a wise man. Thanks B.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufacturer/advanced-muscle-science/
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.

I am both mom and dad to my kids as their dad seems to be spending less and less time with them by choice.
  9. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

My mom was my dad too
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.

Their actual dad was supposed to have them this week for the first time in over a year and everytime I called to check on them they were at a babysitter.

He even left them with someone to go get pizza, uhm ever heard of taking the kids with you@!
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I'm being a dad right now to my 2yr old daughter
  12. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by crader View Post
    Their actual dad was supposed to have them this week for the first time in over a year and everytime I called to check on them they were at a babysitter.

He even left them with someone to go get pizza, uhm ever heard of taking the kids with you@!
    Father abandonment is the single greatest issue I struggle with still to this very day. All other issues and struggles stem from that.

My biological father abandoned me at 4yo when my mother remarried. My stepfather adopted me and gave me his damned name. He abused me physically and psychologically. He and my mother divorced after 25 or so years of marriage and I have not seen or heard from him in the 13 or so years (maybe three times, the last being 5 years ago, by accident) after he and my mother divorced.

Sometimes I hate men. Most specifically ****ty fathers
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.

The ex gets them on Sat-Sun but he seems to be more interested in drinking and his car than them. I can see him getting more selfish and showing up later and later..
  14. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

I see what you are saying. That would make me furious.

Some men really don't have much to offer or worse have no idea how significant the little they do have really is.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

I always have issues with people who say those types of things do not shape and affect children. I know it does from personal experience.

**NOTE**
    Because I am having a serious moment and responding without humor does not mean i'm on a emotional rollercoaster needing to vilify other people for my personal satisfaction
  16. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

I think I can empathize with you when I say that I know I may only have myself, my time and my attention to offer, yet I have many limitations that restrict me from doing so.
  17. Lift Heavy
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  241 lbs.

B, Thank you. I need this reminder as often as I can get it.

I realize more than most anyone what it means to not have a dad around when you are being "formed" as a child. I have made a vow to myself and my wife to not let that happen with my son (and my soon-to-be daughter). As a father, I think you have to make a very conscious effort to not let the world/society raise your kids. If you don't - there are tons of excuses you will have for reasons your not around....work..etc.

Best post in weeks....
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 106
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 04:31 PM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 10:32 PM
  3. Replies: 144
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 01:11 PM
  4. Replies: 260
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 12:32 PM
  5. Replies: 5