I got PUNKED by an OLD MAN!

Jaynandez

Jaynandez

Awards
Last night at the gym I was on the flat bench doing DB press. I had my towel on the bench and my DB's were on each side, I stepped away for 30 seconds to get some water and this 80 year old man rick jamesed that shite from me. I was pissed! He just threw my towel on the ground and moved my weights to the side. Everyone around me were just looking like wtf. I wanted to say something but he was just so old that I'de feel bad being a ****. The good thing was that he used the bench for one set of seated DB curls and moved on to something else. So did I do the right thing by keeping quite or should I have ripped his fvckin head off?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So did I do the right thing by keeping quite or should I have ripped his fvckin head off?
Did you really need to ask that question? Do you really need an answer to that question?

For all we, the membership, know he may have been an asz for that single moment and you may have been a nice guy for that single moment.

I've been on a social science experimentation trip so bear with me for a minute.

When you run into senior people who are arrogant and rude do you think; 1) It is because they are old 2) It is because they are arrogant and rude and just happen to be old?

When you run into junior (young) people who are arrogant and rude do you think; 1) It is because they are young 2) It is because they are arrogant and rude and just happen to be young?

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
Did you really need to ask that question? Do you really need an answer to that question?

For all we, the membership, know he may have been an asz for that single moment and you may have been a nice guy for that single moment.

I've been on a social science experimentation trip so bear with me for a minute.

When you run into senior people who are arrogant and rude do you think; 1) It is because they are old 2) It is because they are arrogant and rude and just happen to be old?

When you run into junior (young) people who are arrogant and rude do you think; 1) It is because they are young 2) It is because they are arrogant and rude and just happen to be young?

ahhh... my brain just got majorly twisted by your response

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I would have said something. I was at the gym a couple weeks ago, got up from my incline bench (my keys, dumbbells, and towel were still on/around the bench) to get a drink of water, and when I came back all my crap was on the floor and this 55+ year old dude was doing seated dumbbell curls with the pink 5 lbers. He was sitting hunched over, resting on his gut and wreaked of smoke. I politely walked up and said "Excuse me, but I was using this bench. That's my stuff you relocated to the floor." He looked up at me like I was a douche grumbled something and walked off. Just because a person is older, doesn't give them the right to pull of something like that.

P.S. It was the first time I'd ever seen this dude in my gym, and I haven't seen him since.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
for older people I tend to think because they are arrogant and rude by nature, particularly if they are capable enough to be out and about & using a gym, because there's no self evident sign of any
age related mental/emotional issues.

Mostly I think it is in their nature because the older I get the less I find I have an excuse that is justifiable when losing my temper to an extreme, or disregarding the personal boundaries of other people as is the case here.

With the young, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and attribute as much as I can to simple immaturity and lack of experience the majority of those times. By the time they're in their mid teens though, on rare occasions the only thing that's held me back from physical force is that the law gives minors preferential treatment in violence related scenarios.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established

I answer #1 to both old & young. The old people tend to be arrogant & rude because they feel they've paid there dues and have a sense of entitlement from the young whipper-snappers. :whip: Young people act so because they tend to be in better shape (stronger) feeling invincible with all their raging hormones messin' with their head. :aargh: :head:

I have definitely seen examples of reason #2 on both sides, so I am only making an observational assumption.

B-Fiddy, even though we call you an old man, you're actually in-between these 2 age-groups, what we call "middle-aged." You have no excuses for being an @$$ ;)

Please don't ban me.

B-Fiddy---> :nono::banned:<---B-Fiddy
:sad:<---Me

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Ah man I almost wet myself with that ..middle aged shizzle :D

Bum Mahoney

Bum Mahoney

Awards
I think you handled it the right way. High road. If he was ignorant, no sense beating on him. If he was an a**, karma well get him....

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, it is called middle aged. I am still not yet going to use the "Don't make me take off my belt"

But, I'll tell you what, on both sides of my age there are plenty of social and emotional handicaps.

My observation is that senior people who are arrogant and rude are arrogant and rude and just happen to be old. This is usually displayed more pronounced as they age because they have had more practice.

My observation is that young people who are arrogant and rude are arrogant and rude and just happen to be young. This is usually displayed by people at that age because they are young and it will be more pronounced when they are old because they will have had more practice.

Are you following? ;)

If young people have the good fortune of an intervention they may be rescued from that terrible fate. If old people have the good fortune of an intervention the intervener may need be rescued from a terrible fate - "Don't make me take off my belt!"

For me, unfortunately I have an intimidation factor. This works wonders when desirable and can be a detriment when undesired.

I had a situation where I was using a decline bench at a smith rack and I went to take a leak between sets. I left my stuff (keys, journal, bottle, etc) and a guy came over and took the bench. Two guys who had not yet been acquaintances of mine told him I was using it and went to the bathroom.

He proceeded to tell them "he did not give a fuk who was using what" and he took it do sit ups. It just happened to be about 10 to 15 feet away.

Upon returning the guys told me what happened. I walked around for a few minutes and pondered. This guy was probably a few to several years younger than me. I said nothing. But I did glance over at him as I sat on a bench near the initial location.

Upon his realization he came running over and told me how he did not know I was using it and would give it back right now if I needed it. I said something along he lines "hey man that's fine, we can share it". So I placed it back in place. Used it. Wheeled it right back in place for him to use. When he was done, I ran over wheeled it back from him so he would not even have to. I repeated putting it back in place for me. This repeated for several times for a several sets.

I don't know whether he was more intimidated by my physique (I'm not that big but I do well), body language or my shear humility and patience.

Those two initial guys came up to me later and one said "man, you are a really nice guy. A lot of people I know who are much 'less than your size', including my brother, would have acted a whole lot differently"

I said, "oh, I know. I just can't do that. I mean, obviously I could and can, but I just can't, that's not the person I want to be."

My two new friends are Steve and Ryan. I have never ever seen that other guys face again.

"Calogero:Is it better to be loved or feared?

Sonny: Good question. It's nice to be both, but its very difficult. If I had a choice I'd rather be feared. Fear last longer then love. Friendships bought with money mean nothing. You see how I make a joke everyone laughs, I know I'm funny, but I'm not that funny. See it's fear that keeps them loyal to me. The trick is not to be hated. I treat my men good, but not too good, 'cause then if I give them too much then they don't need me, I give them just enough where they need me but they don't hate me. 'C'...don't forget what I'm telling you...." ~ A Bronx Tale
If you saw the movie you remember how many guys were at Sonny's funeral.

I would prefer respect :)

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I can't even train in the morning or afternoon. The earliest I train is 8pm if not later and usually it is virtually empty at that time.

Having too many ppl using equipment is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Jaynandez

Jaynandez

Awards
I can't even train in the morning or afternoon. The earliest I train is 8pm if not later and usually it is virtually empty at that time.

Having too many ppl using equipment is a huge pet peeve of mine.
I agree. Yesterday I went at 6:30 p.m. right during the rush. I think I'll start going later to avoid all the nonsense.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well I agree with Brian on it being answer #2 for both old and you alike. Even if I'm having a bad day I can't be rude to a stranger. I just was not raised that way and its not who I want to be or who I want my kids to be.

I think the people who are rude do it because its how they are used to acting and it comes naturally to them. They have little regard for others feelings and feel a sense of entitlement to be the way they are.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not really based on age from what I can tell. I do find that those who are but a step away from death's door are pretty nice regardless of how they have been most of their lives :)

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
i look to determine whether an act by someone is intentional or unintentional regardless of their age, i always try to treat the elderly with respect and i expect the same of the younger ones but being around 240lbs - 245lbs i don't have a problem with the younger ones.

IMHO some people just don't realise and make a genuine mistake and other's are just arrogant and selfish f*ckers who need the hammer smacketh down :hammer:

however when in doubt take the high road
:thumbsup:

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
its hard to yell at someone old enough to be my grandfather. Doing that, despite his actions, makes you look like a douche if you do it.

Now, if he was close to the same age.....drop the hammer:hammer: