ManBeast's Gym rants!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Ok... since I work at my school gym... and just about NOBODY lifts right there.... I'm going to start a funny story/rant thread in hopes of entertaining y'all.

Here's todays:
Two dudes were doing "leg day" Which apparently is only squats for them (not a horrible idea... if you squat properly). So they get in and put a plate on each side and procede to do 10 somewhat decent reps (to one of our benches, which wasn't even parallel for either guy). Next they load up 2 plates on each side and go for it, the dude with the bigger upper body got 10 again, but not nearly as deep as before, the smaller, but taller, guy got 8 (again not nearly as deep). Next.... yep.. you guessed it... they raise the pins up to the bottoms of their ribcages just about and put on 3 plates per side.... (they musta thought it was the leg press machine....) and the bigger guy gets 4 VERY SHITTY reps (20 degrees ROM at most), and the taller dude gets 4 equally as shitty reps.
Finally, big guy loads up 4 plates per side and puts the pins right below his armpits and gets like 1 rep with a 2" ROM and starts to strut around the gym with ILS before unloading it and doing shitty "burnouts" with 2 plates....

The best part of this story is that my bro came up next and having warmed up on the leg press (just so he could do this) he not only re-racks their stuff from the high pins, he puts the pins down where they belong, and proceedes to front-squat 2 plates deep for 6 reps, then re-racks and does 4 more regular squats down deep. Those guys' imaginary lats dissapeared so fast! :D

ManBeast

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i would say, tools who squats just like as you described up above, gets me more irratated than anything else. I work and lift at a college gym and that shid happens everyday..... pathetic
Sage

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I really almost either laugh or cry when i see people try and do squats at my gym, MB. There is a guy there who is bigger then anyone around, by far. We're talking about 6'5', probably 285 or so with what looks like around 21-22" arms and about 8-9% bodyfat....crazy big. Well one day he's doing legs and I see 2 things that almost made me laugh in the big dude's face:

1. He did squats in the rack with the pins up to his damn ears, lol! This guy barely went parallel and got 405 for about 5 reps. Now thats a decent weight for anyone, but not even parallel I tell ya! I see other guys there doing this also.

2. He gets on the leg press another day and loads up a total of 20 plates per side. Well then he asks me and another guy to "spot" him on the leg press, lol. So I do, and he goes down for about a 5-6 in ROM at most, screaming the whole way, and does about 5 reps. It's simple, jackass: drop the weight, correct the ROM, and do what you can actually do, not filling up the machine. Just sad :)

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
wait, Beast. People were SQUATTING in our gym????

just be happy the squat rack was being used for something other than decline benchpresses.

CosmosM3

Awards
There's a new guy in my gym who's the master of using heavy weights and really shitty form. The otherday he grabs a pair 100lb DB's to do bench press. He get's set up, sits back, and tries puch 'em up for the first rep. Opps, not gonna happen. LOL! Dude throws the weight down in disgust.
He tries again later, and just *barely* gets the weight off his chest, then procedes to do about 5 of the worst half reps you've ever seen. The DB's probably never came closer than 1 foot away from his chest. All of his sets leading up to the 100's looked like this too. Can't wait to see him squat. :)

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Something funny I found out at my gym is that somebody was squatting with lifting straps on both hands holding the bar , he was doing 8 reps and somehow i don't know what happened but i saw the guy on the floor attached to his olympic bar. What happened??? well he couldn't complete his last rep and he couldn't get out of the bar because he had lifting straps on , he ended up on the floor injured in his shoulders attached to the bar , could've been worse, he could have been killed but instead I laughed my ass off at 1 more attempt at my gym to squat :)

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
There was this guy at my old gym in Michigan that was built like a marathoner. I didn't know him at all and he asked me to spot him on squats (not real sure why he needed a spot in a power cage, but I digress). I had already seen his limited ROM on 135 and 225 so I was already hesitant about his attempt at 315 lbs. I spot him first rep and after about 2" I'm the only one descending. I stand up and walk off (knowing the safety pins are set at a safe height), and afterwards he comes out of the cage bitching at me for my crappy spot. I told him that my spot matched the quality of his squats, and that he needs to unload the bar and learn how to squat. I don't remember ever seeing him try squats again.

~Todd

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
I was doing my back workout one evening when a guy (about 5'7, 165) asked me to spot him with his benches. I didn't think much of it. But I noticed later that he was trying to impress his hot girlfriend and her equally hot friend. Then as I stand over him to prepare to lift the bar up for him (a 185 pound bar, I might add), he positions his hands and begin twisting his lifting strap on the bar.

I told him, "Dude, those are for lifting not pushing." He says, "I only use it for better grips." Well, I guess I embarassed him when I raised my gloved hand and said, "I thought that these were used for that." The look on his face was painfully funny.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Something funny I found out at my gym is that somebody was squatting with lifting straps on both hands holding the bar , he was doing 8 reps and somehow i
ya....you really need some straps when squatting.....pathetic motherf****'s......:rolleyes: :D
I call dudes who squats with small a** ROM.....doing Sq's or squ's and not squats. Again, pathetic MoFo's....
Sage

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by sage
I call dudes who squats with small a** ROM.....doing Sq's or squ's and not squats
LMAO Sage, don't know why but I love that one. I'm going to use that in the gym, "hey need a spot on those squ's?" :D :D

drei

Awards
Wrist Curls

Have you Guys ever noticed that sometimes you'll see a totally overweight person in the gym. And all they do are wrist curls the whole 30 minutes they are there. I'm like you need to do this new excercise called Push Aways as in Push your fat A$$ away from the dinner table partner!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Man the worst one I saw was this dude "benching" 315 and than screaming (he said "boo yeah, I'm unstoppable") as if he had the game winning touchdown in the Super Bowl. This dude had the spotter lift the weight of the rack for him, he than brings the bar down ONE FOOT OFF HIS CHEST 'cause he had the widest grip I've ever seen LOL. He pushes the bar up about 6" until he stopped and the spotter had to help him, he then starts celebrating. Truly pathetic, he thinks that's his 1 RM. The guy that spotted him looked at the guy as if to say "you're a stupid moron"

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
dumb question but "rom"? assuming it has to do with correct motion?

nothing beats our basketball players here. the coach has them doing squats but at the top they jump to workout their calves. watching their facial expressions when the 225 lbs comes back down on their back is awesome. i mean, if you can't jump at the top of your squat you aren't trying hard enough! i don't know if i should say anything or not, but that can't be healthy on the spine.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
rom=reange of motion
and yes, i've seen people jumping at the top of their squats too... not my cup of tea either.

ManBeast

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Jump squats are useful.. but if I were doing them I would do them with DB's to a bar.. just don't need to extra shock to the vertebra in my neck..

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
i'm sure my gym is the only one, but do guys in your gym try to get bigger by talking to girls? i swear people put that into their routine here. so far i haven't seen it have a positive affect on their size, but i think they swear by the "move".

corey

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
but do guys in your gym try to get bigger by talking to girls?
corey
Yup, not only chicks but anybody in general. I don't mind as long as they leave me alone. I sometimes wear the asme smelly & sweaty shirt to keep them away from me.

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
straps while doing squ's..heh..and bench presses?? i can honestly say i've never seen that display before. i still like the guy at my gym who loads up the bench press, arches his back and uses an extra wide grip to hurt his shoulders. then brings the bar down maybe 1/4" and squeals like a greased pig. his routine is bench presses and leg presses 3x per week...

where do these idiots learn to "lift"?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Ok, well I'm not working at the gym anymore :( But I am working out at a YMCA fitness center, so I still get to see some stupid/silly crap. Yesterday some girl was doing ab crunches with a medicine ball (good idea), but was moving her arms the whole time to keep the ball in the same place (bad idea), effectively removing the extra weight. Yeah...

MB

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
yeah i see that frequently, the head 'jarring' thing.

They are really only straining their neck muscles

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
no, her head wasn't jarred, but damn it seemed useless.

MB

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
The squat thing mentioned in the first post is my biggest pet peeve at the gym

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
theres this tall semi-muscular guy in my gym who loads up a minimum of 4 plates a side on flat bench, lifts it off the rack for a about a tenth of a second, and drops it. Not even a rep. He then adds 90 more pounds. He does this on every single exercise, and then will stare in the mirror at himself making angry faces i **** you not. In fact the other day he had 6 plates a side in the squat rack, got it on his shoulders, AND THAT WAS IT. He put it back down. That was his squat.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
ROFLMAO.... Isometrics anyone?

MB

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I had a experience at my gym, Now most know I have been lifting for years, and legs are my best feature, as far as strength.....I put 5-6 plates of 45 on the machine, and do close , to failure than wider till failure, I super set this.... well than it leads into lunges, squats...etc....

I did legs last week and these guys were standing watching me, and over comes these two girls, make up, matching to tight clothes and tell me to "Leave it hunny"....first dont call me hunny and second you walk out of the locker room, and walk over to take that weight (6 plates, 45pds each)...your going to get hurt............

The first fool went to lift it off and I even offered a spot, saying your going to get hurt, and she said she was fine... so i stood back and watched her, literally crap her pants, she could not budge it...........LOL I laughed my ass off, as did the guys....

One of the funniest moments in my gym in a long time :)

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Awesome, I love seeing peacocks (of both genders) embarass themsevles.

MB

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
this thread is 5 years old. I'm just saying

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Not my latest post... it is MY thread after all...

MB

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've lifted at numerous gyms. I see this same thing daily. I always chuckle a little bit, but I'm kind of over caring. I think the most annoying thing to me is people grunting on every rep. It's completely unecessary. I'm just going to say it...the typical competition bodybuilder annoys the hell out of me, and they are pretty much always 100% douches. I love bodybuilding, but I can't stand 75% of those who compete.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
i still like the guy at my gym who loads up the bench press, arches his back and uses an extra wide grip to hurt his shoulders. then brings the bar down maybe 1/4" and squeals like a greased pig.
I definitely don't like the squealing and .25 inch ROM -- but I lift heavy, maintain a wide grip, and arch my back.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Red: total difference between a trained powerlifter's arch (where the back muscles are strong enough to help) with the hips on the bench, and the crazy people who lift their hips clear of the bench.

MB