Irritation from shaving

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
Anyone here get irritation from shaving? ie red bumps? If so what if anything have you found to stop it from happening?

I particularly get them around my neck..

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
I only get irritation when I first shave a body part, after that I never get it. If I use a electric razor on my neck I get irritation, but electrics suck and each of my neck hairs seems to go its own way.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
i found that all of the Gillette Mach series shavers cause irritation after the first shave. Shick makes a disposable shaver (no cartridges, throw the whole thing away when its worn). these are amazing for sensitive skin. i can use the same blade for 4 weeks before it wears out. they are about $8 for 10 blades at target.

Also, when you notice the shaver is getting dull.... before you shave run the razor over a bar of soap (i use dove).... just run it across the soap as if you were shaving it. this lubricates the blade and makes it a lot closer and smoother and extends the blade life significantly. I do this and get zero irritation.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
What razor are you using? If it's a single blade try one with a lub strip, if it's a multiple blade try scaling down to a single or double. A lot of people don't realize or think about it, but a 3 or 4 blade set up means you're running 2-3 more blades over your face than you technically need.

Also what kind of hair do you have? You might try a shaving gel with relaxer in it or something similar, like Lectric Shave. Also, a miracle worker in itself, a badger hair brush for applying cream.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
If so what if anything have you found to stop it from happening?

I particularly get them around my neck..
I get the same thing, concentrated on my neck, especially my lower neck, closer to the collar bone.

My solution, and this is not a smart ass answer, grow a beard. Grow it long, grow it proud. Then when the time comes, which for me was the beggining of summer because i sweat like a pig, cut it. After that my skin has been alot more smooth.

I think it has to do with the ability for your bodys natural protective oils to build up on your skin. So now i shave as infrequently as possible, even if its just not shaving from fri-sun.

I'll save you from a page long tirade on what i think about being forced to shave to begin with, but in a nutshell, its not natural.

soultrain

soultrain

Awards
English Bob: I see you've shaved your chin whiskers off.

Little Bill Daggett: I was tasting the soup two hours after I ate it.

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
I only get irritation when I first shave a body part, after that I never get it. If I use a electric razor on my neck I get irritation, but electrics suck and each of my neck hairs seems to go its own way.
Yeah i can never use electric its way worse for me.

Also, when you notice the shaver is getting dull.... before you shave run the razor over a bar of soap (i use dove).... just run it across the soap as if you were shaving it. this lubricates the blade and makes it a lot closer and smoother and extends the blade life significantly. I do this and get zero irritation.
Thanks for the tip, im gonna try this tomorrow morning sounds like a good idea to me!

What razor are you using? If it's a single blade try one with a lub strip, if it's a multiple blade try scaling down to a single or double. A lot of people don't realize or think about it, but a 3 or 4 blade set up means you're running 2-3 more blades over your face than you technically need.
Yea no doubt, i am using a mach 3 so maybe ill try one of my girls razors and see if it works a bit better..

I get the same thing, concentrated on my neck, especially my lower neck, closer to the collar bone.

My solution, and this is not a smart ass answer, grow a beard. Grow it long, grow it proud. Then when the time comes, which for me was the beggining of summer because i sweat like a pig, cut it. After that my skin has been alot more smooth.

I think it has to do with the ability for your bodys natural protective oils to build up on your skin. So now i shave as infrequently as possible, even if its just not shaving from fri-sun.

I'll save you from a page long tirade on what i think about being forced to shave to begin with, but in a nutshell, its not natural.
I actually have a beard but i keep it trimmed around the neck i always keep shaved.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I actually have a beard but i keep it trimmed around the neck i always keep shaved.
Ya, i usually got that escaped mental patient look goin on, i just let it grow wherever.

Grant

Awards
  • Established
I used to get the same thing until I started using the following.... (give or take what I could find on this site)

Proraso Eucalyptus Shaving Cream (5 oz Tube) - Lee's Safety Razors - Online Shop

http://www.leesrazors.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=359026&cat=1&itemid=29&

http://www.leesrazors.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=359026&cat=1&itemid=100128&

http://www.leesrazors.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=359026&cat=1&itemid=100220&

You have to relearn how to shave, never go over a dry/unlathered section of your face, learn which way your hair grows, and use no pressure. I do not have any irritation on my neck at all anymore. I look forward to shaving. It may take a little longer, and cost a bit to get started, but in the long run it is way cheaper, and better for your face to wet shave. The razors are much higher quality than any Mach3 or whatever else they sell at CVS, and there is only one of them, so less irritation. There are how to videos on you tube.

Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In - Badger & Blade

millerman

Awards
When you shave your neck, do you shave up towards your chin, or do you shave down towards your feet? Try shaving up towards your chin, if you're not already doing that. Shaving down causes ingrown hairs (red bumps).

EDIT: The single blade disposables cause a LOT more irritation for me.

Last edited:

Grant

Awards
  • Established
When you shave your neck, do you shave up towards your chin, or do you shave down towards your feet? Try shaving up towards your chin, if you're not already doing that. Shaving down causes ingrown hairs (red bumps).

EDIT: The single blade disposables cause a LOT more irritation for me.
Shaving against the grain causes irritation, not shaving up or down.

Each person has a different direction of hair growth, especially on the neck.

I shave up on the bottom half of my neck, and down on the top half

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
Shaving against the grain causes irritation, not shaving up or down.

Each person has a different direction of hair growth, especially on the neck.

I shave up on the bottom half of my neck, and down on the top half
I actually looked at the hairs and you are right, i shaved the bottom half up then the top half down and i got alot less irritation!

Thanks man

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I do the same -- shave with the grain and never get irritation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 14
Punkrocker Anabolics 17
lemeseethem Anabolics 3
Anabolics 12
SLR722 Anabolics 10