Why are the tops of school buses white?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Make them easier to spot from the air and to make them cooler?

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Keeps them from having to repaint due to paint cracking.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Covers up the birdie doo doo.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Same with UPS trucks, living in the deep south, I always imagined heat reasons.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Ah, let the little buggers cook...

:whiner:

I'm thinking of creating an all black school bus service. My reasoning is to toughen up the youngins and to make cool black out styles.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking of creating an all black school bus service. My reasoning is to toughen up the youngins and to make cool black out styles.

Don't forget the spinners...

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
black spinners.

I seriously love blacked out cars. I think Americas youth would love going to school now! This idea will have to take a back seat to my Hooters girls as trainers gym.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
not pissing on ur toes but I have never seen a white topped school bus...honestly.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I have, but only for certain schools. Ours was always yellow. lets just get a convertable school bus, AWSOME

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Ours are yellow but I have to agree with dsade on this one and say it's to make the bird poo blend in with the bus.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
When I was young, stupid, and had too much spare time and money (though I was once ashamed of it, I will not admit that I grew up a spoiled rich kid), I had a 93 Volvo 240DL ("flying brick" body style) that I had custom wheels made for. This was back in 95-96 timeframe, I was waaaay ahead of the trend! They were plain old cheap aftermarket aluminum mags with a bearing-loaded flat black three-blade "spinner" on the outside of each. My friend's shop made me the "spinners" and the bearing system, which used the existing lugs to mount so they could be removed. Furthur cheeziness....the wheel wells were flat black plastic cowls intended for a Ford Ranger, which I was inspired to put on by the gross-looking flat-black bumpers. A girl I dated convinced me to mount a motorized miniature disco ball where the interior light belonged, which was accompanied by several different color lights to accent the mirrors on the ball.

Lessons learned...those "spinners" whistled like a million insects at highway speeds...the bearings died annually (yes they were sealed)...make sure to completely disable disco ball and lights before loaning car to a friend...

Eventually I grew up and sold the thing to a local teenager...