Anybody know how to beat a poloygraph test?

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
i have to take a poloygraph test to become a police officer and wanted to know if anyone has beaten it or if anyone has ideas on how to beat the test?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Didn't we already have this thread with you? :)

timmmah

timmmah

Awards
  • Established
i have to take a poloygraph test to become a police officer and wanted to know if anyone has beaten it or if anyone has ideas on how to beat the test?
I think I once saw someone pass by putting thumb tacks in their socks to get the mind off the question and instead into the pain in the foot, it was in a movie though, so I dunno

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
1- why are you trying to..?
and 2, glad to here this is what a police force consist of sometimes.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
You want to be a cop and are asking how to cheat the test? You're a piece of **** and the reason cops get a bad rap.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
When I went through my polygraph for my department I thought about doing the same thing. I am glad I didnt try and cheat the machine. I am now a criminal investigator with my department and have worked with our polygrapher on about 50 different cases. If you have an experiences polygrapher he will be able to tell rather easily if your trying to beat the test. You will answer baseline questions such as your name... your DOB... so on... Then he will ask you a question where you are expected to lie... From those basic truthfull questions and the known lie he will get your baseline reaction. In order to make your reaction higher people have " Squeezed their butt cheeks together, Bit their lip or tongue.. used the thumb tack.. pinched their legs... and so on. Most of the time the polygrapher will be able to see you attempting to do these actions and it is a no questions asked DQ from our department. I went through the test and answered everything honestly.... and got hired... just make sure you are completly honest from the start and once the test has started to confess to trying to hide something or cover something up... if you forgot it on your polygraph book and you suddenly remember tell the Polygrapher before you start your test.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Usually most people want to beat the machine for some stupid reason that doesnt even matter. I was scared to death that I was going to get disqualified for smoking weed once in Highschool and using ephedra after it was banned..... If its something major such as a murder.. rape, or serious offense it is almost impossible to keep your emotions in check enough to beat the test.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
You want to be a cop and are asking how to cheat the test? You're a piece of **** and the reason cops get a bad rap.

cops get a bad rap for doing stupid ****. i know plenty of cops that have cycled and made mistakes when they were younger. steroid use doesnt make someone a bad person.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
cops get a bad rap for doing stupid ****. i know plenty of cops that have cycled and made mistakes when they were younger. steroid use doesnt make someone a bad person.
No one said they did. You never told us why you were even tryin to cheat it. If it doesn then just answer the question. You think they care? Heck they prolly like the idea sometimes. I know a few cop they are on the juice...sad really. Then again im from Chicago and 80% of the cops are crooked,racist and just general a$$holes to people.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
i have done a few cycles and experimented with a few recreational drugs about 7 years ago. those two are automatic disqualifiers. i havent even tested for it yet. i am trying to see if it would even be worth it to try.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
The test is only as good as the person administering the test. Odds are they have their internal affairs guy doing these test, and odds are he is pretty good at it.

Perhaps you would be better served being truthful, as it would be very hard for a police department to find people to hire who have never done drugs at some point in their life.

Be upfront about your past, and perhaps you will find that you are worrying for nothing.

FcuktheFDA

Banned
Awards
Is this for a state police force or local police force?

I have to take a polygraph test when I go into Corrections in August. I'm sure I'll be more nervous then than I am now, but I'm definitely gonna be honest. I've heard they ask some pretty insane questions, but that's probably because you work around inmates, many of whom are murderers. Any law enforcement occupation really doesn't care about what you've done in the past. They're expecting you to lie! Lying is a big no-no. They're not gonna tolerate that at all. Just be honest and professional.

As someone stated above, the polygraphic instructors know what to look for so it'd be in your best interest not to try cheating the test. Go in, stay calm, be honest, respectful, and professional.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
i will probably just give it a try. if i pass than great and if not no big deal.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
i will probably just give it a try. if i pass than great and if not no big deal.
The only way that you will "pass" the test is if you tell the truth. If you try to pass the test by lying then you will fail the test.

They aren't so much interested in what you did in your past (with exception to serious criminal misconduct). They are more concerned with hiring honest/trustworthy people.

So unless you are trying to hide the fact that you are a goat rapist or something like that, you should do fine. Unless you are trying to get a job working for the Brigham Young campus police, a few cycles done a while back, and a couple of tokes of weed or whatever is not going to disqualify you.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Know what you want before just givin' it a try. Failing a poly will usually forever ban you from applying to that dept. and in a lot of othe cases it will keep you from applying to other depts. even if they don't require a poly.

There's a difference between failing a poly and being disqualified. Failing means you lied. Disqualified means you had something in there that they don't allow in their dept. Huge difference. The poin of a poly is to test whether or not an officer is willing to admit things in their life that are personal and private, when a lot is on the line. Depts want to know if they can trust their officer to do the right thing when it's the ardest thing to do. Not what they can get away with.

You may cheat the poly and taking steroids doesn't automatically make you a ba person per se, it just may make you ineligable to be hired at that particular dept. Do the right thing.

If you're trying to start off the unethical way into a career that should be a dedication of serving and protecting others, then you're not someone i'd want on my 6.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Most departments wont touch past anabolic use unless its been more than 10 years. A large part of this is that they provide health benefits, and they save on their premium by restricting tobacco and steroid use.

Your best bet would be to contact the recruiter or someone who you know is in their dept and ask for advice. All the little tricks to beat the test are a waste.. the only true way to beat it is to condition your mind to actually believe that the lie is reality. Not saying this is practical, but.

If you lie, you show bad ethics.... I know of a guy who admitted coke useage within 2 years... guess what... he got hired. All depends on the department and how desperate they are or are not for cops. South Flordida is on a freeze and wont hire you unless you are a saint (they can afford to discriminate for only the best), but other depts like Dallas cant hire fast enough and would be more likely to ignore minor lapses in judgment.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The place where steroids come into play is injectible questions and taking of pills. Some actually do have steroid questions though. Good advice on the recruiter part. Always research your dept before applying.

PumpYouUp

PumpYouUp

Awards
  • Established
Just be honest! If its like Riverdale they are hurting for officers and will pretty much take you as long as your honest about what youve done.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Good cops value integrity. You obviously don't give two shits about it.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
The only thing I've ever heard of was after the interviewer asks you a question, ask yourself a different question in your mind that will allow you to believe you're telling the truth. As in, if he asks if you are an insane murderer and you actually WERE an insane murderer, you would ask yourself (in your head) something like "are you a female?", you would say no, and believe it. Not sure if it works, but that's what I've heard! I would suggest just telling the truth though, I don't think steroids are an iimmediate DQ -- especially if it wasn't within the last 12 months.

Please, nobody piss on me for giving that example. I've seen too much of that **** recently.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
damn... no need to beat the dudes ass bc he did a cycle back in the day. we all make mistakes and it sucks when it can hold you back for a few years. i think that his first request should have been better written so we all know that his only issue was past anabolic use, but cut the dude some slack...
at least he has the balls to work an underpaid, under-appreciated job.

EVERYONE who wants to be a cop has at least one thing that they wish they never did... the prob is that it ALL comes up during yoru background check (which can last a month or longer). So you cant blame the dude for having regrets and wanting to get past them and into the future. Lying on the poly prob isnt the best route... but still

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
If you read any law enforement website like CIAs, Secret service, or border patrol they understand that people make mistakes in there past and that no one is perfect. As long you tell the truth and your the right man for the job the will hire you man. FBI is the only branch that dont do that shyt.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like I said earlier... The poly is to find out if you have the ability to tell the truth when you don't want to. Whether it's thru shame or whatever. Lying on the poly is NOT he way to start out a career in law enforcement.

You're going to experience things on the force that will put you in the same type of situation. You need to be able to stand up, regardless of the outcome and tell the truth. Help make the police force a better place by doing the right thing and not just adding to the countless cops we already have that bring shame to the rest of us.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Plus never underestimate background officers... Doesn't take much info to scour the web with a little info and find hreads titled... Anybdy know how to beat a poly.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Plus never underestimate background officers... Doesn't take much info to scour the web with a little info and find hreads titled... Anybdy know how to beat a poly.
I thought about being a LEO for a while, so i read up on a lot of this. apparantly one of the most common questions is "have you done any research to try to trick the poly?"

Also..DELETE your myspace and facebook accounts. You WILL sign a background form that allows them to have myspace and facebook fax them a complete transcript of your account. I actually check peoples pages when hiring for PAL. Youd be amazed how many people brag about smoking pot and drinking until they are plastered on public sites.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
taking inconsideration of what everybody has said i am not even going to try it. i know steroids is guarunteed disqualifier. my girlfriend is an officer for the same city and told me that will definatley get me disqualified.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Dude calm down, your coming off like a complete jackass. He's asking a question on how to potentially become a police officer and is worried that he may be disqualified for past usage (which 80% of users on here have done) and just wants to see what his course of actions are. Is lying on a poly wrong? probably, but who are you to comment on his integrity? Can I say for sure he has integrity, no but no one one here can say he doesn't. Future advice, think before typing.

Also the myth busters did an episode on beating polys (and the tack method was one of the methods used). Didn't work, but one of the cast beat the poly but I can't remember what his "experimental technique" was off the top of my head.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
Being a police officer is all about integrity. If you can't tell the truth when applying, who would trust you when on the job? As jayhawk has stated, don't waste the departments time if you are going to have no integrity when asked to disclosed your past. Something that may seem a big deal to you, if disclosed and explained to your BI in your BG packet, should not be anything of concern. However, if they find out you LIED about it and showed a lack of INTEGRITY for manning up to your actions/mistakes/whatever you want to call them, then you can kiss a police career pretty much goodbye.

Think long and hard before submitting that application if you choose to lie. Telling the truth is much easier than lying ;).

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
Dude calm down, your coming off like a complete jackass. He's asking a question on how to potentially become a police officer and is worried that he may be disqualified for past usage (which 80% of users on here have done) and just wants to see what his course of actions are. Is lying on a poly wrong?
How about you calm down? If you didn't read the title of the thread, he is asking how he can be DISHONEST and BEAT a polygraph test, not if his actions will disqualify him. There is a big difference between asking "will xxxx disqualify me from xxx dept." and "how do i beat a polygraph?" BIG DIFFERENCE :frustrated:

probably, but who are you to comment on his integrity? Can I say for sure he has integrity, no but no one one here can say he doesn't.
If a person is asking how to lie to beat a polygraph in a profession where telling the truth and articulating your actions is everything, then yes, I would say that he does not have integrity.

Future advice, think before typing.
The same to you.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
1- why are you trying to..?
and 2, glad to here this is what a police force consist of sometimes.
So you are assuming that since he is trying to lie to get onto a police force, he would make it through and obviously all police officers are like this? You know what they say about making assumptions.....

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
How about you calm down? If you didn't read the title of the thread, he is asking how he can be DISHONEST and BEAT a polygraph test, not if his actions will disqualify him. There is a big difference between asking "will xxxx disqualify me from xxx dept." and "how do i beat a polygraph?" BIG DIFFERENCE :frustrated:

If a person is asking how to lie to beat a polygraph in a profession where telling the truth and articulating your actions is everything, then yes, I would say that he does not have integrity.

The same to you.
Well I would calm down, but I didn't take a stance of aggression, and rather just stated a point/opinion. Telling the difference takes very little insight. Like Palo said, he very easily worded the title in a manor not conducive to his point, and from his related posts down the page you can see where he is coming from. Again I never said if he did or did not have integrity, and IN MY OPINION, which all a board is, no one here has the right to say that stuff about anyone. Take that for whats its worth though..

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not siding with anyone in this matter but also take into consideration of how people feel about law enforcement and about those who are in it or that have family in it. A soldier/policeman/firefighter etc. are built on integrity. Dealing with those that slip into the system with no honor, integrity, morals is the hardest thing in the world. People get upset when they see people openly advertising what the OP did.

You have to take a step back and look at all sides.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Dude calm down, your coming off like a complete jackass. He's asking a question on how to potentially become a police officer and is worried that he may be disqualified for past usage (which 80% of users on here have done) and just wants to see what his course of actions are. Is lying on a poly wrong? probably, but who are you to comment on his integrity? Can I say for sure he has integrity, no but no one one here can say he doesn't. Future advice, think before typing.

Also the myth busters did an episode on beating polys (and the tack method was one of the methods used). Didn't work, but one of the cast beat the poly but I can't remember what his "experimental technique" was off the top of my head.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Get your head out of your ass. Any American citizen has a right to comment about this guy's integrity. He is trying to become a police officer aka PUBLIC servant. Are you trying to tell me trying to cheat on a background polygraph test isn't a violation of integrity? If he was trying to be a janitor in some podunk shithouse I wouldn't care, but he is trying to be someone who UPHOLDS THE LAW.

I didn't say **** about him doing a cycle. I don't give a **** about people doing steroids. I care about police officers being upstanding individuals and not trying to cheat their way into power. People need to think about the slippery slope.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
They really arent that hard to beat. Just seriously relax, let your mind go braindead, if you have to take like 2 vicoden before going lol(j/k) but if you dont show any emotion or care or concern(metnally physically doesnt matter what you look like, its the signals your body puts out to the machine that count) Just look at each question and pretend its a game. many people beat the polygraph. Its useless against people who know what they are doing....

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Are you ****ing kidding me? Get your head out of your ass. Any American citizen has a right to comment about this guy's integrity. He is trying to become a police officer aka PUBLIC servant. Are you trying to tell me trying to cheat on a background polygraph test isn't a violation of integrity? If he was trying to be a janitor in some podunk shithouse I wouldn't care, but he is trying to be someone who UPHOLDS THE LAW.

I didn't say **** about him doing a cycle. I don't give a **** about people doing steroids. I care about police officers being upstanding individuals and not trying to cheat their way into power. People need to think about the slippery slope.
So that makes him a piece of ****? I guess I am not saying I disagree with you, or agree with you because I am not about to judge this guy. I guess in all honesty I was taken back by your brash (/downright ignorant) attitude towards someone you know very little about (yes you can go on and on about how he is deceiving the law, and I refer you to my first sentence). Honestly I am not about to drag this on, points have been made and refuted and can go on for ever.

Witt I wish you the best of luck on your endevour into law enforcement, and would like to say like many others have that its best to be completely honest and shoot them straight. If you can't get into law than there are many other paths along the justice system line.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
I'm kinda late to this discussion but I would say the best way to beat the polygraph is to not lie:woohoo::toofunny:

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
So that makes him a piece of ****? I guess I am not saying I disagree with you, or agree with you because I am not about to judge this guy. I guess in all honesty I was taken back by your brash (/downright ignorant) attitude towards someone you know very little about (yes you can go on and on about how he is deceiving the law, and I refer you to my first sentence). Honestly I am not about to drag this on, points have been made and refuted and can go on for ever.

Witt I wish you the best of luck on your endevour into law enforcement, and would like to say like many others have that its best to be completely honest and shoot them straight. If you can't get into law than there are many other paths along the justice system line.

Thanks bro but i have chnaged my mind and not going to try to apply for it.

I agree with most of you. i did word my question wrong but too late to go through all that now. i got the info i needed.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
I took a poly for a 5-0 job back in 1987 and aced it. At first they tried to claim that it jumped a little when they questioned me about smoking weed. But it was contradicted when my drug test came up clean.

Think about a song or an incident that relaxes you but try not to tap your feet. :whiner:

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards

The same to you.
It may also be possible that he's not particularly trying to lie on the test but instead is one of those people, such as myself, who gets nervous when taking one.

Back in 1986-87, I passed every test to qualify for the police department, yet they claimed that the matter in regards to drug usage came up negative. I was 26 at the time and had not used drugs in 9 years and that was clarified by me. But that wasn't enough for them until they reviewed my drug test and found that I was clean. My brother, who was on the force at the time before me, personally called my investigator and asked her how dumb was she to even question the test when she had the results of the drug test already in her hands and she had no way of responding.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
It may also be possible that he's not particularly trying to lie on the test but instead is one of those people, such as myself, who gets nervous when taking one.
Asking how to 'beat' the polygraph test indicates that he is looking for means other than being truthful in order to deceive the examiner and polygraph test. Beating a polygraph test is not the same as the question "i get nervous, what should I do to not get nervous when taking the polygraph, or what should I talk to the examiner about pre-polygraph, and let him know about before I begin?"