Ever have a piece of gym equipment fail on you?

  1. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Rep Power
    136024
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    12.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Ever have a piece of gym equipment fail on you?


    I often think about what would happen if something like the leg press, gave out on me , when it is all loaded up, or if the smith machine safety catches broke off, etc.

    Even something simple like a DB breaking while your doing some presses could cause some serious injury.

    Anyone got any stories about gym equipment breakage?

  2. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2669
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I had a clip fall of a bar before and almost dumped 3 plates off one side.

    I had a dip belt break and threw out my shoulder because the drop in weight was so drastic that I almost whipped myself off the bars.

    Couple weeks ago I was doing suspended good mornings and had a clip on my suspension strap break and had to dump 225 off my left shoulder, thank god the right side held.

    While doing blast strap push up I had a handle slip out of the clip and busted my face on the floor.
    And finally while doing assisted pullups with a band a couple weeks ago I was on my like 50th rep or something when the lost position from under my feet and went up between my legs and I all my weight was resting on the band which was right on my cash and prizes.

    I watched someone else doing presses on a boso ball and the ball popped, the guy didn't get hurt so it was hilarious.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  3. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Rep Power
    136024
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    12.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    I had a clip fall of a bar before and almost dumped 3 plates off one side.

    I had a dip belt break and threw out my shoulder because the drop in weight was so drastic that I almost whipped myself off the bars.

    Couple weeks ago I was doing suspended good mornings and had a clip on my suspension strap break and had to dump 225 off my left shoulder, thank god the right side held.

    While doing blast strap push up I had a handle slip out of the clip and busted my face on the floor.
    And finally while doing assisted pullups with a band a couple weeks ago I was on my like 50th rep or something when the lost position from under my feet and went up between my legs and I all my weight was resting on the band which was right on my cash and prizes.

    I watched someone else doing presses on a boso ball and the ball popped, the guy didn't get hurt so it was hilarious.
    Jeez dude..lol Good thing nothing were too serious..
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Rivet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,700
    Rep Power
    967
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    43.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    I
    I watched someone else doing presses on a boso ball and the ball popped, the guy didn't get hurt so it was hilarious.
    I have a friend whos uncle is a Personal Trainer. He was pressing 75lb DBs on one of those balls and it popped. He shattered each forearm.
  5. Professional Member
    warbird01's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  224 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,490
    Rep Power
    612739
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    54.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I was rowing the whole stack on the cable row with a metal straight bar and it broke. I had all my weight back on it (obvisouly) and went ****ing flying off, narrowly missing smashing my head into the free weight rack. The whole stack of weights smashed down and was so loud, the whole gym stopped and stared at me...lol

    Cut up my forearm a little, had to fill out some paper work cause it was my college gym

    It was pretty bad ass, this happened last year
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-GELS THE Prohormone alternative!
    anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/246394-arachidonic-acid-help.html
  6. Professional Member
    CryingEmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,080
    Rep Power
    1636
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    38.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    I have a friend whos uncle is a Personal Trainer. He was pressing 75lb DBs on one of those balls and it popped. He shattered each forearm.

    IMO I think it's f'ng stupid to do DB presses on a stability ball.
  7. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2669
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    IMO I think it's f'ng stupid to do DB presses on a stability ball.
    I agree, you may get a decent core workout from it but you usually have to drop the weight considerably compared to what you could do on a stabilized bench press that you are barely working your pecs. Also if you do fall out of proper alignment you risk messing up you spine, pecs, shoulders, etc.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  8. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Rep Power
    136024
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    12.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by warbird01 View Post
    I was rowing the whole stack on the cable row with a metal straight bar and it broke. I had all my weight back on it (obvisouly) and went ****ing flying off, narrowly missing smashing my head into the free weight rack. The whole stack of weights smashed down and was so loud, the whole gym stopped and stared at me...lol

    Cut up my forearm a little, had to fill out some paper work cause it was my college gym

    It was pretty bad ass, this happened last year
    Holy **** man.. That is crazy.. Your lucky you didn't knock ur teeth out.

    I think about this **** all the time, because i feel like my gym slacks on maintainence
  9. Senior Member
    futurepilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,217
    Rep Power
    1287
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    54.12%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I was doing tricep pushdowns and a cable snapped. I smacked my head into the machine, and im left standing there with this cut on my forehead and a bar in my hands looking around at the guys next too me like, what the f#ck just happened.
  10. I know nothing...
    DmitryWI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,532
    Rep Power
    1411
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    31.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Batteries died in my CD player. Pissed my off. LOL
  11. Elite Member
    TexasLifter89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,237
    Rep Power
    38248
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    8.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    yep before i had enough money for gym membership i had a all in one set from academy sports and out doors. I have 285 loaded up on it and was going for 2 reps at the end of a chest workout and dropped it on myself. no one was home and it took me 3 minutes to get it off me. It was heavy as hell cuz and was smashing me i tried pulling it over my head and it choked me, tried pushing it down and it smashed me, tried rolling it off the side and it wouldnt budge so i layed there for a minutes took in as deep breath as i could and pushed it to the left side and slung myself to the right side as quick as possible. End result was me fine, wall next to my bench had 285 LBS through it = PARENTS PISSED OFF
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html
  12. Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    7,444
    Rep Power
    736845
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    21.79%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Cable crunches, with the stack, plus a 25er pinned to the stack. Well on concentric phase the wilted rope gave, and face travelled to the floor with the resistance of 135 more pounds than intended. Needless to say I had to keep telling people my girl isnt the one who messed my face.

    Then I had the joy of explaining why I pinned a 25er to the stack at a military gym.

    Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  13. Board Sponsor
    tattoopierced1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,225
    Rep Power
    8348
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    32.36%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    a few years back i was doing incline db presses with some old 90lb hex dumbbells and because dumbasses in the gym always drop the db's, the end came loose and one of the hex sides of the db fell off mid press barely missing my face.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufacturer/advanced-muscle-science/
  14. Elite Member
    ReaperX's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    7
    Posts
    6,487
    Rep Power
    33341
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    16.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Yeah I've thought about that before, nothing has actually failed on me using it thus far.


    doggcrapp says something about when using machines, if you exceed the weight limit to buy a chain with a hook and hook up a dumbbell and you can rig up extra weight like that.


    it works, and there's only been one guy I've ever seen do that, however I think Dante has engineering background and he should know better.

    machines are rated to push the weight in the stack not with a 120lb dumbbell rigged up to it on top of that, lol.
  15. Advanced Member
    KingMeso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    606
    Rep Power
    433
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    19.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by tattoopierced1 View Post
    a few years back i was doing incline db presses with some old 90lb hex dumbbells and because dumbasses in the gym always drop the db's, the end came loose and one of the hex sides of the db fell off mid press barely missing my face.
    Man I think about this a lot. Some of the hex DBs at the gym I go to are loose and look like they are ready to snap.
  16. Elite Member
    ReaperX's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    7
    Posts
    6,487
    Rep Power
    33341
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    16.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    yeah buddy. light weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17. Senior Member
    mindgame's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,211
    Rep Power
    690
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    80%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    ^^^ people do that? That is trouble waiting to happen!
  18. New Member
    MuscleMadness's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    106
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    88.85%

    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    yeah buddy. light weight.


    Wow, thats gotta be a photoshop pic or something, cause thats INSANE!! Either has a mad balls or no brain....
  19. Senior Member
    mindgame's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,211
    Rep Power
    690
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    80%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    thats an epic fail picture waiting to be put together
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. what is this piece of equipment called?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 11:50 PM
  2. Need some piece of mind from the experienced ones...
    By Vicarious in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 01:11 PM
  3. thoughts on this piece of equipment
    By cpa5oh in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-26-2006, 06:28 PM
  4. help me find this piece of exercise equipment
    By iwinulose2981 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in