Ever have a piece of gym equipment fail on you?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I often think about what would happen if something like the leg press, gave out on me , when it is all loaded up, or if the smith machine safety catches broke off, etc.

Even something simple like a DB breaking while your doing some presses could cause some serious injury.

Anyone got any stories about gym equipment breakage?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I had a clip fall of a bar before and almost dumped 3 plates off one side.

I had a dip belt break and threw out my shoulder because the drop in weight was so drastic that I almost whipped myself off the bars.

Couple weeks ago I was doing suspended good mornings and had a clip on my suspension strap break and had to dump 225 off my left shoulder, thank god the right side held.

While doing blast strap push up I had a handle slip out of the clip and busted my face on the floor.
And finally while doing assisted pullups with a band a couple weeks ago I was on my like 50th rep or something when the lost position from under my feet and went up between my legs and I all my weight was resting on the band which was right on my cash and prizes.

I watched someone else doing presses on a boso ball and the ball popped, the guy didn't get hurt so it was hilarious.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I had a clip fall of a bar before and almost dumped 3 plates off one side.

I had a dip belt break and threw out my shoulder because the drop in weight was so drastic that I almost whipped myself off the bars.

Couple weeks ago I was doing suspended good mornings and had a clip on my suspension strap break and had to dump 225 off my left shoulder, thank god the right side held.

While doing blast strap push up I had a handle slip out of the clip and busted my face on the floor.
And finally while doing assisted pullups with a band a couple weeks ago I was on my like 50th rep or something when the lost position from under my feet and went up between my legs and I all my weight was resting on the band which was right on my cash and prizes.

I watched someone else doing presses on a boso ball and the ball popped, the guy didn't get hurt so it was hilarious.
Jeez dude..lol Good thing nothing were too serious..

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I
I have a friend whos uncle is a Personal Trainer. He was pressing 75lb DBs on one of those balls and it popped. He shattered each forearm.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was rowing the whole stack on the cable row with a metal straight bar and it broke. I had all my weight back on it (obvisouly) and went ****ing flying off, narrowly missing smashing my head into the free weight rack. The whole stack of weights smashed down and was so loud, the whole gym stopped and stared at me...lol

Cut up my forearm a little, had to fill out some paper work cause it was my college gym

It was pretty bad ass, this happened last year

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I have a friend whos uncle is a Personal Trainer. He was pressing 75lb DBs on one of those balls and it popped. He shattered each forearm.

IMO I think it's f'ng stupid to do DB presses on a stability ball.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
IMO I think it's f'ng stupid to do DB presses on a stability ball.
I agree, you may get a decent core workout from it but you usually have to drop the weight considerably compared to what you could do on a stabilized bench press that you are barely working your pecs. Also if you do fall out of proper alignment you risk messing up you spine, pecs, shoulders, etc.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was rowing the whole stack on the cable row with a metal straight bar and it broke. I had all my weight back on it (obvisouly) and went ****ing flying off, narrowly missing smashing my head into the free weight rack. The whole stack of weights smashed down and was so loud, the whole gym stopped and stared at me...lol

Cut up my forearm a little, had to fill out some paper work cause it was my college gym

It was pretty bad ass, this happened last year
Holy **** man.. That is crazy.. Your lucky you didn't knock ur teeth out.

I think about this **** all the time, because i feel like my gym slacks on maintainence

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I was doing tricep pushdowns and a cable snapped. I smacked my head into the machine, and im left standing there with this cut on my forehead and a bar in my hands looking around at the guys next too me like, what the f#ck just happened.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Batteries died in my CD player. Pissed my off. LOL

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
yep before i had enough money for gym membership i had a all in one set from academy sports and out doors. I have 285 loaded up on it and was going for 2 reps at the end of a chest workout and dropped it on myself. no one was home and it took me 3 minutes to get it off me. It was heavy as hell cuz and was smashing me i tried pulling it over my head and it choked me, tried pushing it down and it smashed me, tried rolling it off the side and it wouldnt budge so i layed there for a minutes took in as deep breath as i could and pushed it to the left side and slung myself to the right side as quick as possible. End result was me fine, wall next to my bench had 285 LBS through it = PARENTS PISSED OFF

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cable crunches, with the stack, plus a 25er pinned to the stack. Well on concentric phase the wilted rope gave, and face travelled to the floor with the resistance of 135 more pounds than intended. Needless to say I had to keep telling people my girl isnt the one who messed my face.

Then I had the joy of explaining why I pinned a 25er to the stack at a military gym.

Adams

tattoopierced1

a few years back i was doing incline db presses with some old 90lb hex dumbbells and because dumbasses in the gym always drop the db's, the end came loose and one of the hex sides of the db fell off mid press barely missing my face.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I've thought about that before, nothing has actually failed on me using it thus far.

doggcrapp says something about when using machines, if you exceed the weight limit to buy a chain with a hook and hook up a dumbbell and you can rig up extra weight like that.

it works, and there's only been one guy I've ever seen do that, however I think Dante has engineering background and he should know better.

machines are rated to push the weight in the stack not with a 120lb dumbbell rigged up to it on top of that, lol.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
a few years back i was doing incline db presses with some old 90lb hex dumbbells and because dumbasses in the gym always drop the db's, the end came loose and one of the hex sides of the db fell off mid press barely missing my face.
Man I think about this a lot. Some of the hex DBs at the gym I go to are loose and look like they are ready to snap.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
^^^ people do that? That is trouble waiting to happen!

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
thats an epic fail picture waiting to be put together