A Gift if you need it, and if not a reaffirmation:

1. A Gift if you need it, and if not a reaffirmation:

I am about to tell you of a book, NOT a book of religion, a book of life. Yes, a book. But it's not just any book. This book is gonna help me. It's going to be my Holy Bible, my Qur'an, MY Book.

I've found a book that I will look to, so as to keep my existence the best it can be. This book is called "The Four Agreements."

It states all we have learned since we entered the world from the womb is/was an agreement. We agree(d) to believe everything. While we have agreed to many good things, we have also agreed to far too many bad.

The book compares our words and our feelings as poison, being passed on to one another. It's an analogy that seems to be a bit much, until we are reminded, or even shown, what our words can do. Here are examples:

A single mother comes home from work. She's tired. She has a migraine. Her child is singing because he is happy. He has no woes in this life yet. He's singing so loud and so wonderfully, but it is hurting the mother's head, so she screams, "Shut up! Shut up! Your voice is so loud, so ugly! Shut up!"
    The child no longer sings. In fact, he doesn't even speak as much around his mother for a while. He feels uncomfotable now. A bit saddened even.

The mother's word was enough to make him stop. It got something done. It also put a feeling inside of the boy. We say many things, far uglier than this to people every day, sometimes in the hopes that it will spread like an epidemic (gossip). It's all poison.

When we take things personally, like when someone insinuates we're fat and we become hurt, we ate their poison. When someone says we're dumb and we believe them/perpetuate it, we ate their poison. But what we fail to realize/remember is that they are saying/doing these things because there is some poison in their life that they are trying to pass on.

I'm done blathering about it. Those are a few examples. This book will tell you four key things to do. It requires a lot of energy to hold true to the four, but you can find the energy by breaking old agreements and having the energy it took to make those agreements return to you (It's not as dramatic as it sounds; this just means that you can become empowered to better your life and change out old habits for new ones).

Here are the "Four Agreements":

1. Be Impeccable With Your Word
    Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don't Take Anything Personally
    Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don't Make Assumptions
    Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
    Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

I plan to live by these four agreements. I have only been TRYING to do so for a few days now, but I already notice I feel much better. It's only a matter of time until I find heaven on earth.

Thank you for reading,
    Eric Lain

P.S.- I took the time to tell you guys this because I know you are all for progression. It's evident from the physical standpoint. Here is something for your heart/brain if you feel you need it. I've read a lot of "self-help" books, but this is the only one that has actually "got into my heart."

2. I read this book quite a few years ago. Touches on a few aspects of Buddhism. Something else you might like:

The Way of Walking Alone-

Do not turn your back on the various ways of this world.

Do not shceme for physical pleasure.

Do no intend to rely on anything.

Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply.

Do not ever think in acquisitve terms.

Do not regret things about your personal life.

Do not envy another's good or evil.

Do not lament on parting on any road whatsoever.

Do not complain or feel bitterly about yourself or others.

Have no heart for approaching the path of love.

Do not have preferences.

Do not harbor hopes for your own personal home.

Do not have a liking for delicious food for yourself.

Do not carry antiques handed down from generaton to generation.

Do not fast so that it affects you physically.

While its different for military equipment, do not be found of material things.

While on the Way, do not begrudge death.

Do not be intent on possessing valuables in old age.

Respect the gods, and the Buddhas but do not depend on them.

Though you give up your life, do not give up your honor.

Never depart from the Way of the Martial Arts.
    •   

3. i can appreciate your words, Kurt. thank you. the thing i like so much about this book, though, is that this book covers fundamentals. it helps us be strong/good in handling interactions with ourselves/others. i knew these four agreements BEFORE i read the book, but i felt empowered to actually LIVE my life and interact the right way at all times after reading it. i think it made me step out of myself long enough while reading it to see all i have done in my life, good and bad.

and when you step out of yourself and see that you've done more bad than you'd like (which brings bad on you as well), you will realize how foolish it is to have not made all good in your life.

a few days ago, in my heart, i disliked a man. i disliked him because i felt he was weak and the decisions he made were bad. but this book has taught me/reminded me to realize that hate and passing poison will improve nothing; only the giving/receiving of knowledge and love improves us as beings.

4. I posted up a link to the Gym Jones site a while back. Mark wrote an essay called 'Twitching'. Good read, if you serach you could find it. I've been reading and practicing Taoism, Buddhism, and a little bit of Shinto. I've been sleeping easier, working better, and a better feeling about things. Something you might look into.

5. On my list to read after the MCAT's. I've got quite a list going now lol. First up will be the Tao of Pooh, heard great things about its simplicity. You might even enjoy it
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    On my list to read after the MCAT's. I've got quite a list going now lol. First up will be the Tao of Pooh, heard great things about its simplicity. You might even enjoy it
    i will most definitely check it out, m'friend. thank you. i'm now reading some ol' school stuff, stuff i used to read in high school, some o' dat' jack kerouac, his "lonesome traveler" rambles. but i could get that as the next read. thank you. and thank you again to kurt.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post
    I've found a book that I will look to, so as to keep my existence the best it can be. This book is called "The Four Agreements."
    Yes! I have read it before and it is awesome! I'm reading tons of spiritual books all the time and this is one of the good once.

8. Quote Originally Posted by DmitryWI View Post
    Yes! I have read it before and it is awesome! I'm reading tons of spiritual books all the time and this is one of the good once.
    it sure is, brother! it-sure-is! y'know, i woke up LATE today and had a terrible workout, got REALLY crabby cause of it. but then, i remembered my agreements and put a smile on my face and appreciated even being able to do what i do. "poison" is flat out terrible. i spit it out today. and then felt relief.

9. Tender Warrior by Stu Weber is a great men's book. One of my all time favorites.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post
    it sure is, brother! it-sure-is! y'know, i woke up LATE today and had a terrible workout, got REALLY crabby cause of it. but then, i remembered my agreements and put a smile on my face and appreciated even being able to do what i do. "poison" is flat out terrible. i spit it out today. and then felt relief.
    You did your best, no need to feel bad about it. Right?

11. When you will "soak" this book in, you should check out "Awareness" by Anthony De Mello. You think "The Four Agreements" was great, wait till you read that one. OMG, it literally changed my life and blew my mind after I read it. Every few months I read it over and over again. These both books are in my top ten of all times.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 98
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 09:53 PM
  2. If you need anything
    By TheCrownedOne in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 05:51 PM
  3. Vitamin B12 and why you need it.....to grow
    By buyb12 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 12:40 PM