I want to buy a Sport Bike.... Any Recommendations?

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
With the recent surge in gas prices and my rather low level income. I can't really afford to fill up my car anymore.

I was thinking about getting a scooter but, I'm really self conscious and I think I'd look pretty gay on one of those things.

So I was thinking about an entry level sport bike.

Something around $8,500 or less if I can buy it used or new I really don't care.

I've never ridden a bike before. Nothing with two wheels and an engine. Not even a dirt bike so I'll have to learn. With the weather right now it would be great to ride.

Anybody have any suggestions, recommendations, link, experiences; please share.

Thanks

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Scooters are like fat chicks; they're fun to ride until your friends see you on one.

Sorry, that's all I really got. :p

Ribo68

Ribo68

Awards
Any riding experience? They're all fast. They're all well built. Some are more comfortable to sit on though. I've got a 2003 Zx7 Ninja which has a very comfy seat compared to many I've sat on. I've been thinkin' about selling it as I don't ride it much anymore. Don't know where you are but I'm in SC. It's been very well kept and is very clean. Pm me if you want to.

CustomNW

Awards
  • Established
Take a motorcycle class, it could save your life. I took it, then got my 2000 zx6 ninja. Bought it used.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Start with a 600cc bike... yamaha, honda, kawasaki, etc.... 600cc is fast as hell.

You will lay the bike down at least once..probably more than that. Always wear a helmet, long jeans, and a jacket AND GLOVES. The second time i laid my bike down my gloves saved me from ripping off the skin on my hands. the gloves were tattered but my hands were OK.

10k miles on a bike engine is considered high. since these engines rev so high (upto 14k rpm) they dont last as long. My first bike was 6 years old and only had 6k miles on it.

Take a motorcycle safety class..they will teach you how to ride safely and get you ready for the real thing.

If i were you, Id spend about $4k on a used bike, and save the rest of the $8500 on the next bike (or gear and upgrades). You can get a great used bike for $4-5k... and youl feel better when you drop it and you arent damaging something more expensive.

My 600cc would get close to 30mpg all city... you can get close to 50mpg on highway or if you dont drive like an idiot.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I asked a few guys about this, as I'm thinking of getting one also.
I heard a SV-650 is a great way to get started.

P.S. everyone I know has laid the bike down at least once. FYI

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
^^ sv-650 is a great bike. .. not 100% sport-bike, but its a great starter

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I'm going to take Motorcycle Safety Course. That was I can get my license and certification all at once.

I was looking into the 250R, anybody have thoughts on that bike?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Triumph Daytona 675!!!

Best bang for your buck sport bike. It's a European and it rock the Asian sport bike community when it came out. It does on 3 cylinders what all the others do on 4. As well as being priced cheaper than the others.

The Batman

The Batman

Awards
Don't do it unless you love to ride and absolutely have too/your life wouldn't be complete without it.

The dangers are just not worth it to save a couple bucks on gas.

If you still decide to ride, start small. You don't need or want a 600cc sport bike or better as your first bike.
Maybe a ninja 250 is you are small. a ninja 500 or Sv560 if you are larger.

This coming from someone who has about 10 years exp. riding
since I was 16 has alot of miles, has ridden all sorts of bikes,
has crashed twice, and has seen alot of people get seriously injured and die on bikes.

I currently ride very rarely right now as I really don't want to sustain any injuries that will effect my training goals.

Ribo68

Ribo68

Awards
Get what you like. You'll be tired of a 250 in few months and want something bigger. A sport bike is only fast if you try to ride it that way. They can putt along just like a moped if you want them to. They're just a little heavier if you have to pick them up. I got my first dirt bike at 6 yrs old so that's over 30 years of riding experience. Never hit the pavement. Hit the dirt many times though.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
You can't afford to fill up the car but you can afford $8500 on a bike? Am I missing something here?

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Honestly, dropping $$$ on a bike like that it'll take you longer to make up the financial setback than would a LOT of full gas tanks.

But, the suzuki SV650 is REALLY a great beginners bike. Its a V twin so its fun to ride, just not as rev happy as the rockets. Very stable in the corners too

They can be had for CHEAP

bryan4980

Awards
With the recent surge in gas prices and my rather low level income. I can't really afford to fill up my car anymore.

I was thinking about getting a scooter but, I'm really self conscious and I think I'd look pretty gay on one of those things.

So I was thinking about an entry level sport bike.

Something around $8,500 or less if I can buy it used or new I really don't care.

I've never ridden a bike before. Nothing with two wheels and an engine. Not even a dirt bike so I'll have to learn. With the weather right now it would be great to ride.

Anybody have any suggestions, recommendations, link, experiences; please share.

Thanks
A kawi ninja 250 will get like 80 miles per gallon, and you could probably pick one up pretty cheap say like 2 grand. Then when you crash it you won't be out like 8 grand. Now you do realize cars do not see you unless they are trying to run you down right?
I'm not kidding, I ride btw.

bryan4980

Awards
Start with a 600cc bike... yamaha, honda, kawasaki, etc.... 600cc is fast as hell.

You will lay the bike down at least once..probably more than that. Always wear a helmet, long jeans, and a jacket AND GLOVES. The second time i laid my bike down my gloves saved me from ripping off the skin on my hands. the gloves were tattered but my hands were OK.

10k miles on a bike engine is considered high. since these engines rev so high (upto 14k rpm) they dont last as long. My first bike was 6 years old and only had 6k miles on it.

Take a motorcycle safety class..they will teach you how to ride safely and get you ready for the real thing.

If i were you, Id spend about $4k on a used bike, and save the rest of the $8500 on the next bike (or gear and upgrades). You can get a great used bike for $4-5k... and youl feel better when you drop it and you arent damaging something more expensive.

My 600cc would get close to 30mpg all city... you can get close to 50mpg on highway or if you dont drive like an idiot.
Not disagreeing but I have seen plenty of Honda RC-51's with 270,000 miles on them and have only required minor maintenance. Doesn't mean all are that way though.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
270,000m...and you've seen plenty of bikes with that millage have you?

On the other side Palo is also slightly under estimating what a bike engine can do, what I'd say is when I look at bikes I don't want one that's done more than 4000 miles per year and ideally it won't have done much more than 1000 miles per year. From there you want to establish if it's been well maintained and looked after because even at low millage it's not hard to wear parts etc.

High millage, even if well maintained, are prone to mechanical and electrical issues and as a first bike that's not something you want to be bothering with.

bryan4980

Awards
270,000m...and you've seen plenty of bikes with that millage have you?

On the other side Palo is also slightly under estimating what a bike engine can do, what I'd say is when I look at bikes I don't want one that's done more than 4000 miles per year and ideally it won't have done much more than 1000 miles per year. From there you want to establish if it's been well maintained and looked after because even at low millage it's not hard to wear parts etc.

High millage, even if well maintained, are prone to mechanical and electrical issues and as a first bike that's not something you want to be bothering with.
They have been very well maintained full syn after the break-in. My point is you can get it to last a long time but I wouldn't myself buy anything with more than 5k on it unless it was a starter bike. Probably the best bet for him buy a ninja 250 ride it till you get to the bikes limits and then if he hasn't wrecked it sell it and get a 600.

BTW: you can search the Honda RC-51 registry and there's quite a few on there with high mileage. To the op do not get an RC-51 for your first. Passing the road test on that is near impossible.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
I agree with most of the sentiment in this thread, take the safety class, its absolutely worth the time, get something small at first, like the 250, when, not if, you drop it the first few times, it wont be devastating, as long as your ok, and wearing the above mentioned gear, long sleeves, jeans, gloves, and boots, helmet. If/when you do grow out of the 250, there are absolutely always going to be people looking to buy one, perhaps for their first bike, so should this become a lifestyle for you, then you can definitely sell the 250 and move onto something bigger.

Also, something I didnt see mentioned, dont take offense, but you dont ride yet and you are ready to plunk down 8 grand on a bike that people tell you is good, Im not saying its not, but until you actually learn to ride, and start knowing what you like and dont like, I would keep all my options open if I was gonna spend that kind of green.

The 250s are a no brainer, thats entry level, cheap, and manageable. Anything else costing more, you really need to test ride before you sign any papers or hand over any cash.

As far as experiences, I learned on a small bike, had a 650 cruiser, which was too big for me(height), had a ninja 500r, plenty fast, good size, but it was uncomfortable to ride for extended time, sold it a couple of years ago. If I wasnt broke I would consider a shadow for the next one, nice low seat, laid back, cruiser, maybe when I retire.:)

bryan4980

Awards
I agree with most of the sentiment in this thread, take the safety class, its absolutely worth the time, get something small at first, like the 250, when, not if, you drop it the first few times, it wont be devastating, as long as your ok, and wearing the above mentioned gear, long sleeves, jeans, gloves, and boots, helmet. If/when you do grow out of the 250, there are absolutely always going to be people looking to buy one, perhaps for their first bike, so should this become a lifestyle for you, then you can definitely sell the 250 and move onto something bigger.

Also, something I didnt see mentioned, dont take offense, but you dont ride yet and you are ready to plunk down 8 grand on a bike that people tell you is good, Im not saying its not, but until you actually learn to ride, and start knowing what you like and dont like, I would keep all my options open if I was gonna spend that kind of green.

The 250s are a no brainer, thats entry level, cheap, and manageable. Anything else costing more, you really need to test ride before you sign any papers or hand over any cash.

As far as experiences, I learned on a small bike, had a 650 cruiser, which was too big for me(height), had a ninja 500r, plenty fast, good size, but it was uncomfortable to ride for extended time, sold it a couple of years ago. If I wasnt broke I would consider a shadow for the next one, nice low seat, laid back, cruiser, maybe when I retire.:)
:goodpost:
What he said + Learning on a 250 will make you better rider later down the road. It's easy to make a big motor go fast it's not easy to make a small motor go fast.

bryan4980

Awards
Scooters are like fat chicks; they're fun to ride until your friends see you on one.

Sorry, that's all I really got. :p
This one time I was out riding and I saw about 20 scooters all riding together. Each and every person on the scooter looked like they didn't weight more than 120 lbs. It was funny as hell, oh they were all male.