A Self-Described Steroid User Loses Job as Fitness Model from Bigger Stronger Faster

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
A Self-Described Steroid User Loses Job as Fitness Model

By STEPHANIE CLIFFORD
Published: June 9, 2008
With the camera rolling, Christian Boeving, a fitness model who is paid to endorse bodybuilding products, freely admitted he had used steroids since he was 16.

That was two years ago, when a friend from the gym he uses, Christopher Bell, was filming “Bigger, Stronger, Faster,” a documentary on steroids that was released on May 30.

Mr. Boeving said he had nearly forgotten about the interview until he heard from the film’s representatives just before it was shown in January at the Sundance Film Festival. “They said, ‘Look, we’re just letting you know you mentioned the word steroids in it,’ ” Mr. Boeving said. “But I didn’t think I would get into that much trouble, because I thought it was pretty apparent that the top people in the industry use steroids to look like we do.”

A company whose products he endorsed, Iovate Health Sciences, apparently did not think so, and promptly severed Mr. Boeving’s contract. Iovate Health Sciences did not return calls for comment last week.

Mr. Boeving had represented over-the-counter dietary supplements in Iovate’s MuscleTech division, including Hydroxycut, which is meant to burn fat, and Nitro-Tech, which is meant to build muscle. But the type of performance-enhancing steroids Mr. Boeving referred to in the movie are legal only with a doctor’s prescription; he said in an interview that he had a prescription for testosterone.

While he may not been breaking the law, Mr. Boeving was apparently breaking a taboo in the bodybuilding world, one that Mr. Bell’s documentary was aiming to expose. “Ever since I was a kid, I’ve been looking at muscle magazines,” Mr. Bell said in an interview. “I would see these guys that are huge, and they’d say, take this pill and you’ll look like this. We know that’s not the case.”

Mr. Boeving said he had worked with Iovate for nearly nine years and was in the midst of renegotiating his contract when “Bigger, Stronger, Faster” had its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in January. Mr. Boeving said that after the premiere, he was suspended without pay; he flew to the Iovate headquarters in Ontario to plead his case, but, he said, MuscleTech has not renewed his contract.

Mr. Boeving said he was not allowed to say how much the contract was worth, but said the company’s contracts for athletes typically ranged from $36,000 to $300,000 a year. “I was able to live off my contract, put it that way,” he said.

Though the loss of income is tough, Mr. Boeving said, he does not regret his on-screen candor.

“Even in the film, I said, ‘look, I do take the products I said I take — I do take Hydroxycut, I do take Nitro-Tech, but I take other things as well,’ ” he said. “They felt like people were going to walk away feeling like steroids, not MuscleTech products, made my physique what it is, and they have built this industry on telling people, ‘This is what I did to build my physique,’ ” Mr. Boeving said.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
heres the vid of this guy talking about it.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nBDVSlXJ8I"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ahh...hypocrisy.

Nice job, muscletech, making yourselved look even more ridiculous than you already have.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ahh...hypocrisy.

Nice job, muscletech, making yourselved look even more ridiculous than you already have.

Agreed.. Im sure that most of the public can put 2 and 2 togethor and come up with the fact that jay cutler takes steroids. What a crock lol.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
thats what im saying if there going to fire someone for using steroids then im pretty sure everyone would be fired then. Unless its true muscle tech is making jay look the way he is.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
0:38-0:41 awkward silence ftw

What would prompt him to make such a comment? He has to realize that repercussions would be felt.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I appreciate this guy's candor, and it's really unfortunate MuscleTech would choose to exercise such unfathomable hypocrisy.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
i mean the guy shouldnt have said anything. but i mean at least he was down to earth and said the truth. i bet now he regrets saying it though...**** i would if i made that much money for posing for pix.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
i heard itsd a good movie and that if leaves the decision up to you if steroids are good or wutnot.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I was reading this. Everyone knows Muscle-Tech athletes are on sauce. Their target audience though is younger folks, and they don't want to attract the law towards any of their products. I'm sure many, many companies that sponsor athletes have something that prohibits steroid talk.

I remember Scott Milne (sp) when he got busted for drugs and was with Muscle-Tech. His profile was gone from their website within hours.

tattoopierced1

I was reading this. Everyone knows Muscle-Tech athletes are on sauce. Their target audience though is younger folks, and they don't want to attract the law towards any of their products. I'm sure many, many companies that sponsor athletes have something that prohibits steroid talk.

I remember Scott Milne (sp) when he got busted for drugs and was with Muscle-Tech. His profile was gone from their website within hours.
actually you are wrong to associate all of their athletes with steroids. My best friend is sponsored by them and he is the top natural bodybuilder in the world right now. No drugs at all, a true inspiration to everyone who looks to better their body naturally.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i like the end "they should be smarter than that" about someone thinking he got that way from muscletech products alone :D

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
From a business standpoint, MT has an 'image' to uphold and protect. If I were them, I would have most likely canned the guy, too. Do, I think it's 'right'? No. But, business is business.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
First rule of Fight Club, is there is No Fight Club.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
jim cordova. he is an exceptional athlete with exceptional genetics. I've seen him in MT ads.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
actually you are wrong to associate all of their athletes with steroids. My best friend is sponsored by them and he is the top natural bodybuilder in the world right now. No drugs at all, a true inspiration to everyone who looks to better their body naturally.

tattoo-

You aren't natural are you ? I thought I read that you did dabble with steroids before, just wondering.

tattoopierced1

tattoo-

You aren't natural are you ? I thought I read that you did dabble with steroids before, just wondering.
i have in the past, but not in years. I started back up on the natural route. Jim's been a big inspiration to me with that.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
ok we all knoe that everyone in there ads are not on the sauce but we knoe who is. I guess its true for there image and they prolly tell them its like a dont ask dont tell.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
I appreciate this guy's candor, and it's really unfortunate MuscleTech would choose to exercise such unfathomable hypocrisy.
Finally someone like Christian Boeving comes clean and tells it like it is, f*ck muscletech's B.S!

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
for a roid user he isnt big at all. You can get that naturally.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
i have in the past, but not in years. I started back up on the natural route. Jim's been a big inspiration to me with that.
lol, this reminds me of tha thread on bb.com where a guy actually links to your article and asks if you need to be on steroids to look like you.

I had plans to PM you a link then I got busy and couldn't find it unfortunately.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
what about the top level female Fitness Models and competitors???

steroid use is very common yet very rarely discussed, i think it is though on the bigger stronger faster movie:think:

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I would like to see a candid interview from the top guys at MT with stuff like "are all the pro bodybuilders natural?" or " Is it possible to be 300lbs of pure muscle with MT products?" etc

It's pathetic.....be straight up about everything.......unless you're a lying, sleezy money grabbing company. No f'n ethics.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
I would like to see a candid interview from the top guys at MT with stuff like "are all the pro bodybuilders natural?" or " Is it possible to be 300lbs of pure muscle with MT products?" etc

It's pathetic.....be straight up about everything.......unless you're a lying, sleezy money grabbing company. No f'n ethics.
it's a shame that the producers of bigger, stronger, faster didn't address that in their movie, it would have made for great viewing, interview MT's top brass under the guise of steroid alternatives and then hit them with the real "juicey" questions and watch them run for cover :toofunny: