few personal trainers with large physiques

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Why is it that few of the trainers I come across seem to have a large build? It's common for me to see ones that have a good cut
or at least what would be considered a passable 'beach body', but
I honestly can't recall the last time i met a trainer that looked as if he was working hard towards mass or power. Does it have something to do with the job?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
At my gym a couple trainers as seriously massive (talking like 400-500 lbs benches) and ones a 240 lbs shredded body builder. Then theres others who look like any other ordinary joe. Not all trainers are in what we would consider ideal shape or the like, but there are defiantly big trainers out there. Also a lot of it has to do with clientel. There not going to be training other massive guys or strength athletes (unless there a CSCS or along those lines) and don't really need to.

Also the biggest misconception with trainers and individuals in general is there body is indicative of their knowledge. Physique does not equate to knowledge (I know you were not generally implying that its just thats a lot of peoples mentality).

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
At my gym a couple trainers as seriously massive (talking like 400-500 lbs benches) and ones a 240 lbs shredded body builder. Then theres others who look like any other ordinary joe. Not all trainers are in what we would consider ideal shape or the like, but there are defiantly big trainers out there. Also a lot of it has to do with clientel. There not going to be training other massive guys or strength athletes (unless there a CSCS or along those lines) and don't really need to.

Also the biggest misconception with trainers and individuals in general is there body is indicative of their knowledge. Physique does not equate to knowledge (I know you were not generally implying that its just thats a lot of peoples mentality).
While i agree with you i also would not pick a trainer that is out of shape or not in shape. I would prefer someone who "practices what they preach."

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
While i agree with you i also would not pick a trainer that is out of shape or not in shape. I would prefer someone who "practices what they preach."
I would too. I realize diet and genetics are two areas that can totally nerf your gym results, but I think if I knew what a well certified and educated trainer knew, I don't think I'd be able to stand myself if I didn't make it look obvious that I knew my stuff and trained hard. Even then like I said, I do see well cut trainers far more often than I see guys who are obviously trying to pack on the lean mass. It just seems to me that either physique is valid but one is more dominant.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why is it that few of the trainers I come across seem to have a large build? It's common for me to see ones that have a good cut
or at least what would be considered a passable 'beach body', but
I honestly can't recall the last time i met a trainer that looked as if he was working hard towards mass or power. Does it have something to do with the job?
Its mostly because the market is middle aged overweight women, and they get intimidated by huge guys. In 2006-07 of the 100 people I trained like 80 were in this description. As of yesterday I took a job as a trainer and they told me the same thing...mostly out of shape middle aged people. You think you'd get to train young bodybuilders, BUT they are not the ones with the money. ;)

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established

I agree, however at first impression it seems that way and it is easier to sell to a client.

Back when I first started working out, I didn't know what to do or how to do it properly, so I just started asking the biggest guy in the gym for help.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Its mostly because the market is middle aged overweight women, and they get intimidated by huge guys. In 2006-07 of the 100 people I trained like 80 were in this description. As of yesterday I took a job as a trainer and they told me the same thing...mostly out of shape middle aged people. You think you'd get to train young bodybuilders, BUT they are not the ones with the money. ;)
solid postin'. you get a hot dog!:hot:

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
there body is indicative of their knowledge.
I totally agree, i would never pick an out of shape personal trainer that would be like picking...well, an out of shape personal trainer.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree, i would never pick an out of shape personal trainer that would be like picking...well, an out of shape personal trainer.
You misquoted me. I said physique is not indicative of knowledge. Granted everyone will desire the in shape, practices what they preach type of trainer. However that still doesn't mean they are the most apt at training someone.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could have a built ass trainer that doesn't know ****. they just lucked up with a lot of training and possibly good genetics. Get to know your trainer and find out what they know before using them... regardless of what they may look like.

As for the original question? The reason you don't find so many huge trainers is because that size is not condusive to an overall quality build. As a trainer you have all types of people wanting to be trained and if you're 290 shredded you're not going to be able to do a lot of the things at the other end of the extreme. However, if you're built inbetween, you can still show proper form on squat bench etc. Also, that physique is not eaxtly lifestyle friendly. Winded climbing stairs, eat like a horse, sleeping sucks, etc.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
However that still doesn't mean they are the most apt at training someone.
I know i misquoted, i was just being a smart a$$ with you.

I have a hard time believing that a good trainer is someone who doesnt know enough to train themselves, or is to lazy which ever the case may be.

If you mean picking a smimmer/martial artist type physique over a dorian yates thats fine, im talking about picking one of those trainers whose about 32% BF, wear's sunglasses indoors, watched other chicks a$$es as much as his clients.

You don't need a professional bodybuilder, you just need someone who doesnt think that McDonalds burgers are a good choice for lean beef.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My chriopractor works wonders but if you look at him you'd think, "This dude needs to follow his own advice". I think if you find people who will practice what they preach, as your trainers, you're safe. However, I still don't think a person's physique should be the barometer of their intelligence on the subject... Look at PA(current).

subpop200

subpop200

Awards
  • Established
Funny post cause one of the most successful trainers at my gym was a seemingly obese black male. But he had a hustler mentality. He was always ranting and raving about being good with words and hustling people into buying sessions. It bugged me quite a bit.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not a person with a large physique, but I am a hell of a trainer. Too many focus on muscular hypertrophy without enough emphasis on cardiovascular fitness.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a person with a large physique, but I am a hell of a trainer. Too many focus on muscular hypertrophy without enough emphasis on cardiovascular fitness.
yeah I don't want people to misinterpret the thread, I'm just curious why it seems most trainers seem to go for cut, vs mass. People have brought up valid points on it already though.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I know i misquoted, i was just being a smart a$$ with you.

I have a hard time believing that a good trainer is someone who doesnt know enough to train themselves, or is to lazy which ever the case may be.

If you mean picking a smimmer/martial artist type physique over a dorian yates thats fine, im talking about picking one of those trainers whose about 32% BF, wear's sunglasses indoors, watched other chicks a$$es as much as his clients.

You don't need a professional bodybuilder, you just need someone who doesnt think that McDonalds burgers are a good choice for lean beef.

Although I was referring overall to the general question (a big muscular trainer vs a skinny "non fat" trainer) I still believe that physique can be very misleading. Of course I or any other client would prefer the in in shape, model of what I want, but thats not the end all be all. Unfortunetly like it has been stated numerous times above, its about appealing to he clientel.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This same reasoning would equate to saying, "Well, I don't feel this surgeon is qualified to perform my open heart surgery because he/she has not had one him/herself". An individual's will or determination to turn intellect into applicative knowledge has no bearing on what they can help you achieve.

I am sure many of you in this thread have taken advice from an individual on the boards - how did you know the quality of their physique? More than likely, you did not, and you took their knowledge on face value. Same premise applies, IMO.

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
To each their own. Everyone who wants to be trained should really do their home work. And it is tough because though there really is much they could learn if they did the research.. it is hard for people that dont know where to look.. to find it.

The best trainer I ever had was a 45 year old man.. GREAT shape but didn't look unusual for a very fit 45 year old man. He didn't look like what I wanted myself to look like lol.. but he had sooo much darn information to help me out to get me over that point where i thought i couldn't do anything more to my body.

My worst trainer was a 30 something year old "jock" trainer at a work out world who spent more time eating his sweet potatoes and touching my butt than actually helping me out with information that I needed to get me in a good plan and life style. Yes.. he looked very yummie and was not scared to show it off... but he was dumber then Jimmy Carter!

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
one of the female trainers in my gym is about 5'6 and pushing 170 - 180........

not very motivational imho

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
It is not mandatory, but from a 'selling' standpoint it is easier to sell that you are a good PT if you are in shape.

There's quite a few bent out of shape PTs at my gym. I'm not passing judgement on their knowledge, but their physiques suck though, that's for sure.

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
Totally reaper... i actually looked passed using my great trainer because of his looks. His body didn't SELL to my mind.. what I wanted to do... dumb jock boy.. well.. his body sold me.. lol but at the end of the day.. all he sold me was a bill of goods and unwanted touchy! lol

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
one of the female trainers in my gym is about 5'6 and pushing 170 - 180........

not very motivational imho
She could just be mega-jacked, but I'm guessing that's not what you mean.. lol

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
She could just be mega-jacked, but I'm guessing that's not what you mean.. lol
haha

Yeah, no Chyna there....she has a pretty round physique and wears the NYSC tight black pants....not looking good. I assume she knows here stuff...but I don't know.

I just guess it is mental, but when you go and get a personal trainer, they should be at least in better shape than you are.

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
there is always that.. for those who cant do, teach understanding in life.

LSU Gladiator

LSU Gladiator

Awards
That says it all.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
It is part of our perception.

I don't look at some skinny PT, or some fatty PT and think, 'Man that guy is out of shape, but damn, I'm sure he's got a ton of info in that head. I just think he's fat. period. nothing more, nothing less.

Same thing when it comes to women. If I see a really fat/ugly girl, I don't think 'Shlt, she's ugly as hell, but I want to date her b/c I'm sure she is an awesome girl though.'

Don't lie. I know you all think this. Even you Squeazks4ever.

LSU Gladiator

LSU Gladiator

Awards
At least being in some sort of good shape makes you appear more professional and believable.

In an exercise prescription class that I took this past semester, the teacher openly criticized our class. He said, "If you are a kinesiology major and you hope to be some sort of fitness professional, then there is no excuse for you to be a fat ass."

He instantly became my hero. He instantly became the bane of all the heavy pre-physical therapy girls in the class.

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
i totally use to think that.. thats why i went to jock boy. he was hot.. nuff said lol.. i wanted to have at least 9 of his children! but then.. he opened his mouth, molested me.. and then i wanted to chop his head off. lol

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I just get the feeling people might be missing what I'm saying, I'm not asking why aren't all trainers in great shape, I'm just saying it seems to me, that the vast majority of trainers choose
THIS:

over THIS:

even though both builds require the same work ethic.

Both of them are obviously very strong and lean, and it's just as hard to attain one physique as it is the other. Now obviously if you have an athletic career, like a martial artist, pro BB, soldier/SWAT, etc, your needs will dictate your overall build.
But I'm speaking about joe trainer and his typical every day clientele. Now, especially here at AM, I see great emphasis on guys wanting to get huge, at my gym, the younger guys all seem to be working towards size, at my former gym, the old guys were all huge and made the younger look like weaklings.
It's just that in the past couple years, 80% of the males I encounter, online or in person, all seem to want to become
juggernauts, yet the vast majority of people I see teaching & training seem to be trying to stay small but lean.
I just would hate for people to think I would let my eyes deceive me when it comes to potential wisdom to be had from others, because that's not what i'm getting at.
(yes, it's late and I can tell i'm going to have an episode of bored insomnia tonight)

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Seems as if most personal trainers go for fitness whereas most "bodybuilders" go for size, mass, which is not always the best FIT/Health wise...easy as that

Also, in regard to what mullet posted, i get what your saying, but on the same EXACT note...I wouldn't want a heart surgeon performing work on me that had limited practice either.

So, if a guy says he is a personal trainer and regardless of what he knows, im definitely not going to look to him for training because he looks like he may know little, but in fact, he may know A LOT.
Now if i overheard him talking and learned he knew a lot then that's a different story. Id be willing to give that person a spot at training me.

I look across the room and spot two females, one's glamorous and the other is, well, decent...who do i pick from first glance? First glance being the specific focus set of words here.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Case in point

we have a personal trainer at our place of work...he has a show that airs locally, and does training with about 30 clients every morning at 6am-7am. He looks like he could squat 185, seriously.

But, he knows his stuff, and he has trained a lot of people, causing them to lose high amounts of fat and get their body weight down...BUT, none of them are very muscular in any way....he just knows how to create fat loss, not really to build muscle(not massive, he says that's not his thing)

There's another guy, he is not a personal trainer and has the SAME build. He looks like an 85lb curl would snap his arms like twigs, yet, he has several local competition guys asking him for all types of advice because he has helped a lot of them build nice physiques.

Now both of these guys look as if they are weaklings, but there is the contrast of them both...double whammy.

So it's not always an easy dilemma as big/massive vs skinny/fit
Im still trying to figure those two out.