Gas Prices and You

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
How have you changed your life to deal with the ever increasing gas rates? What chnages do you plan to take?

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
it hasn't... but it will start to when it hits the 8.00 mark. like most people i think i will just have to keep on keeping on

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
It hasn't affected me to any noticeable degree.

I do however find myself consciously walking places that are close by that I might have driven to a year ago.

tattoopierced1

outside of siphoning gas out of neighborhood cars, it hasnt affected my driving at all ;)

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I live in the country, I do not have the options of public transport or getting where you need to go on foot or on a bike.

I only drive where I have to go, but I have been doing that for years now. Since my gas consumption was already at a minimal level I am just watching money fly out of my wallet.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It cost me 97 frickin dollars to fill up my truck yesterday....this BLOWS!

*tripdog finds his siphon hose*

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Ugh. I live in the DC-metro area and commute to DC for work by metro everyday, and with gas prices going up there are more and more train riders by the day... And the parking lot keeps filling up earlier and earlier by the day... It's freaking ridiculous! For the past couple weeks I've been getting to the parking lot 30 minutes before I need to catch my train, and I waste all that time trying to find a spot. I've been late for work every single day for the past 2 weeks, and I've had to park illegally 4 times. I've gotten 2 parking tickets, and I'm pretty effing sure I'm gonna have one when I get to my car this evening.... It's fvcking ridiculous and frustrating as hell. I'm not willing wake up at the butt crack of dawn to catch a freaking train and get to work an hour early... I'm just not a morning person and I workout in the evenings, and this is taking away from my rest time...

My only other real options are to drive to work and sit in traffic for an hour and pay $20 to park my car in a garage on top of the $10+ in gas I'd spend, suck it up and head in early and start working out in the mornings again (which I reeeeeaaaaaally don't want to do), or find a new job.... It sucks. It really ****ing sucks...

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
I now work four 10 hour days instead of five 8 hour days. I also only go to the grocery store 1x per week instead of 2-3. I do anything I can do maximize my trips when I do drive.

Oh I wish I didnt sell my bike!

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Haha, I stopped commuting to the bay area. It mostly had to do with other circumstances, but driving 100 miles each direction, 5 days a week made it easier to quit.

(...Anyone hiring? lol)

Edit: And I sold my 400hp Camaro as well, but that didnt really have much to do with gas. It did save me a ton of money on gas though.

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
a lot of you guys have it worse than me with your commutes and all.it all sounds really shyutty im sorry..but yeah gas right now is $4.17..are there really predictions for gas up to $8.00??

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
it hasn't... but it will start to when it hits the 8.00 mark. like most people i think i will just have to keep on keeping on
Squeaks!!!

I'm more studly now than the last time I saw you on the board. So stop fantasizing about my pecs, you horn ball.
:whip:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
a lot of you guys have it worse than me with your commutes and all.it all sounds really shyutty im sorry..but yeah gas right now is $4.17..are there really predictions for gas up to $8.00??
No.

I work for an oil company. Crude has dropped near 10 bucks in the last week.
Some Asian countries that were subsidizing the price of gas for their citizens (to a dime or 40 cents or whatever) have realized how much it is bleeding their country's budget and are raising the price of gas.
That should help lower consumption in their countries.

The dollar is strengthening against the Euro.

Those should combine to continue to bring down crude oil. Gasoline prices will follow, but a lag of 2 weeks or so.
I think pretty soon we'll reach the crest in prices and then they will fall.

(This is excepting a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico or some catastrophe in the middle east that knocks out crude oil production.)

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
Squeaks!!!

I'm more studly now than the last time I saw you on the board. So stop fantasizing about my pecs, you horn ball.
:whip:
HAHAHA we will see about that!!! Nice to see you again hun!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Its $9/gallon in the UK.

66% of that $9 is taxes. So when you elect people who say they want to tax oil companies because they make so much money, you are moving toward what Europe already has.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Its $9/gallon in the UK.

66% of that $9 is taxes. So when you elect people who say they want to tax oil companies because they make so much money, you are moving toward what Europe already has.
Insert Hillary Quote

"The other day the oil companies recorded the highest profits in the history of the world. I want to take those profits. And I want to put them into a strategic energy fund that will begin to fund alternative smart energy, alternatives and technologies that will actually begin to move us in the direction of independence."

All for the common good!

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
Insert Hillary Quote

"The other day the oil companies recorded the highest profits in the history of the world. I want to take those profits. And I want to put them into a strategic energy fund that will begin to fund alternative smart energy, alternatives and technologies that will actually begin to move us in the direction of independence."

All for the common good!
Take their profits!! Sounds like a line right out of Atlas Shrugged.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Its $9/gallon in the UK.

Universal health care?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's changed some things. I definitely think twice about going places I normally wouldn't go. I get out more and walk more. All in all, it's been for the better. However, I filled up my car yesterday for a total of 61 dollars of 89 grade and almost cried!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
No.

I work for an oil company. Crude has dropped near 10 bucks in the last week.
Some Asian countries that were subsidizing the price of gas for their citizens (to a dime or 40 cents or whatever) have realized how much it is bleeding their country's budget and are raising the price of gas.

Those should combine to continue to bring down crude oil. Gasoline prices will follow, but a lag of 2 weeks or so.

(This is excepting a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico or some catastrophe in the middle east that knocks out crude oil production.)

Crude today is UP 10$/bbl and the dollar has DROPPED further today.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I now work from home 2 days a week. On the other 3 days, I ride my motorcycle in, 16$/tank/week vs 85$/tank/week for my truck.

Bike is paying for itself again and again.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Hopefully more people will take the bus/metro and stay off the freeways so I can cruise home without L.A. traffic. It's over 4.50/gal (91 octane) here.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
Take their profits!! Sounds like a line right out of Atlas Shrugged.
hey i had to read that book for an english project this past year ;)...long a$$ book.

but yea i also am unfortunate enough to live in the country and i have to drive 40 miles just to get to town. it kills a teenager to drive that much :(

i have been thinking about picking up a small sportbike...any recs??

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Crude today is UP 10$/bbl and the dollar has DROPPED further today.

Its up $6. Pure speculation. Volume is thin and futures contracts for months down the road are not following the same trend.

You can't think of this in terms of days...you have to think of it in terms of years. Hell it could go to 150 before you start to see a major turnaround.

The dollar will improve simply because the fed says it will. That will cause commodity prices to drop.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
No.

I work for an oil company. Crude has dropped near 10 bucks in the last week.Some Asian countries that were subsidizing the price of gas for their citizens (to a dime or 40 cents or whatever) have realized how much it is bleeding their country's budget and are raising the price of gas.

hehe... eat your words!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
hehe... eat your words!

You can thank Israel for that one. This one was a pure speculative play. Never has the price moved that much without some form of supply/demand data being released.

You had a short squeeze for the ages today....I think we might peak at 150 then drop like a friggin rock.

But then again.... :D

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
But then again has my vote. Haha.

I remember they said that during the tech bubble...and the real estate bubble...then they all got scalped :D

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
I love how people complain about gas but still pay $100++ for digital TV and 1000 channels and other luxuries that are unnecessary in life.

This is NOT directed towards anyone on the forum, but just the average consumer. Gas prices suck...but its costing most of us about $50-$100 more per month. Im sure most of us can give up 1 or 2 luxuries to cover that difference. (ie processed foods, eating out, cable tv, etc).
On the flip side... boneless/skinless chicken is $1.75/lb at albertsons... saves me $2/lb right there over the regular supermarket. Theres ways to offset the gas prices... even if you have to become a coupon cutter..ha

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
I remember they said that during the tech bubble...and the real estate bubble...then they all got scalped :D
what real estate bubble?

:D

i saw this on amazon...people can be so dumb

Are You Missing the Real Estate Boom?: The Boom Will Not Bust and Why Property Values Will Continue to Climb Through the End of the Decade - And How to Profit From Them (Hardcover)
Amazon.com: Are You Missing the Real Estate Boom?: The Boom Will Not Bust and Why Property Values Will Continue to Climb Through the End of the Decade - And How to Profit From Them: David Lereah: Books

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
True. I hope so.

It just seems like oil being something that no one can just go out and start a new company to produce, and unlike houses, anyone can afford $30 for a few gallons of gas without having to qualify for anything, and that will allow the bubble to endure more pokes from the pin. I know there are several other factors that can influence this whole situation, but there isnt going to be a flood of competition influx, and no one is going to change laws on who can qualify to purchase gas.

Im not really trying to argue against your opinion here, more just trying to say that I think the oil industry has more control over its future than other bubbles of the past. You seem to be more educated on the matter, so I hope your projection of the situation is better than my speculation.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
what real estate bubble?

:D

i saw this on amazon...people can be so dumb

Are You Missing the Real Estate Boom?: The Boom Will Not Bust and Why Property Values Will Continue to Climb Through the End of the Decade - And How to Profit From Them (Hardcover)
http://www.amazon.com/Are-Missing-Real-Estate-Boom/dp/0385514344/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212787349&sr=8-15
My little brother just bought a house here for $120k. We figured it cant go down much lower than that. He needed to move out of my moms house anyway though. And $120k for anything in Cali is a deal.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
My little brother just bought a house here for $120k. We figured it cant go down much lower than that. He needed to move out of my moms house anyway though. And $120k for anything in Cali is a deal.
I just bought a house in south florida a few weeks ago as well.. the deals are amazing for buyers... At closing... the seller walked away with a check for $75.95.
getting a mortgage was close to impossible thou. banks dont want want to give any money unless you are putting down a significant dp right now.
This place only costs me a little more than renting, and I bought it so much lower than its value that I will be comfortable even if the market drops more in south florida (which it will).

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
Oil's biggest day yet drags down stocks

By ADAM SCHRECK, AP Business Writer
Oil prices made their biggest single-day leap ever Friday, dragging the Dow Jones industrials down nearly 400 points and raising the once-unthinkable prospect of $150 oil and more record gas prices by the Fourth of July.

The meteoric rise of nearly $11 for the day piled atop an increase of almost $5.50 the day before, taking oil futures more than 13 percent higher in just two days, easily a record on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

And those weren't the only stunning numbers of the day: The government also reported the nation's unemployment rate zoomed to 5.5 percent in May, a monthly rise of half a percentage point, the biggest in 22 years.

Oil settled at $138.54, a rise of more than 8 percent. The surged came after Morgan Stanley analyst Ole Slorer predicted strong demand in Asia and tight supplies in the Western Hemisphere could drive prices to $150 by Independence Day, when millions of Americans take to the roads.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
By ADAM SCHRECK, AP Business Writer
Oil prices made their biggest single-day leap ever Friday, dragging the Dow Jones industrials down nearly 400 points and raising the once-unthinkable prospect of $150 oil and more record gas prices by the Fourth of July.

The meteoric rise of nearly $11 for the day piled atop an increase of almost $5.50 the day before, taking oil futures more than 13 percent higher in just two days, easily a record on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

And those weren't the only stunning numbers of the day: The government also reported the nation's unemployment rate zoomed to 5.5 percent in May, a monthly rise of half a percentage point, the biggest in 22 years.

Oil settled at $138.54, a rise of more than 8 percent. The surged came after Morgan Stanley analyst Ole Slorer predicted strong demand in Asia and tight supplies in the Western Hemisphere could drive prices to $150 by Independence Day, when millions of Americans take to the roads.

How about Ole Slorer just 'predict' oil will plummet to $80/bbl?

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
I love how people complain about gas but still pay $100++ for digital TV and 1000 channels and other luxuries that are unnecessary in life.

This is NOT directed towards anyone on the forum, but just the average consumer. Gas prices suck...but its costing most of us about $50-$100 more per month. Im sure most of us can give up 1 or 2 luxuries to cover that difference. (ie processed foods, eating out, cable tv, etc).
On the flip side... boneless/skinless chicken is $1.75/lb at albertsons... saves me $2/lb right there over the regular supermarket. Theres ways to offset the gas prices... even if you have to become a coupon cutter..ha

I totally agree on your assessment to some degree. A buddy of mine has the luxury of a fixed work location and has filled up his gas tank three times this year while riding public transportation. I, on the other hand, have to drive to different locations throughout southern california. I try and scheule all meetings in the same locations even if it means sitting on a project a week or so. Plus I never schedule meetings that will have me driving in peak traffic.

I have already cut down cable to the basic stations and for the first time check coupons.

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
How about Ole Slorer just 'predict' oil will plummet to $80/bbl?
Even if it did I believe oil companies will come up with some excuse to keep prices elevated.

We need a president with enough balls to make the statement that we will be off oil in 10 years and will it to happen, just as Kennedy said with regard to a man on the moon.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Even if it did I believe oil companies will come up with some excuse to keep prices elevated.

We need a president with enough balls to make the statement that we will be off oil in 10 years and will it to happen, just as Kennedy said with regard to a man on the moon.

Have you seen the movie 'Who killed the Electric Car?'

Oil companies are becoming 'Energy Companies' which is why electric cars have died and the governmental push for 'Hydrogen' (which is a HELL of a ways off). They will continue to dangle the hydrogen carrot in front of us long enough to sell all of their oil reserves. Government 'intervention' just equates to legislation and pandering to get kickbacks, stock options and cushy positions within their company when the politician is out of office.

The C.A.R.B (California Air Resources Board) chairman was already a major player in Hydrogen when he essentially squashed all of the electric infrastructure in California.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Very true but you know you NEED a $400 Iphone with $150/month in service charges.

When you look at what the average household compared to 20 years ago it is pretty astonishing. How many TV's per household? 13 yr olds with personal phones? How many 16yr olds get cars today compared to 20yrs ago? In reality, we got it pretty damn good compared to almost every other country out there. We simply are a spoiled nation that doesn't want to give up anything...

...and contrary to what some environmentalists seem to think, there is nothing wrong with that :)

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established

BTW, it was a joke... :rofl:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
True. I hope so.

It just seems like oil being something that no one can just go out and start a new company to produce, and unlike houses, anyone can afford $30 for a few gallons of gas without having to qualify for anything, and that will allow the bubble to endure more pokes from the pin. I know there are several other factors that can influence this whole situation, but there isnt going to be a flood of competition influx, and no one is going to change laws on who can qualify to purchase gas.
That's the thing, if prices start to go up significantly higher then competition is exactly what you will have. Right now, the majority of middle eastern and Asian countries subsidize oil and they simply cant afford to keep doing that. What people don't understand is even though countries like Iran have an enormous amount of oil....they can't even refine it. The actually buy gasoline from us! They are going to be forced to pass the price increase on the actual consumer. Once you do that, then the playing field becomes more level and you will see prices drop. Now that's not going to happen overnight but you already it happening in some countries.

Im not really trying to argue against your opinion here, more just trying to say that I think the oil industry has more control over its future than other bubbles of the past. You seem to be more educated on the matter, so I hope your projection of the situation is better than my speculation.

I'm not trying to say it's going to drop like a rock...the underlying demand will still be there but much of the price now is reflective of the weak dollar coupled with investors looking to make money. People want to state its supply and demand which is true but our demand or the rest of the world hasn't increased by 50% in less than a year. Something else is causing that....as with every other bubble. When it pops, you might get $3/gallon again but its not going to drop to 1-2$ ever again. We simply are competing with emerging countries that are coming out of the 5th century...and when that is 1/3rd the worlds population, its going to effect you and there isn't a Republican or Democrat that can fix that one.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Have you seen the movie 'Who killed the Electric Car?'

Oil companies are becoming 'Energy Companies' which is why electric cars have died and the governmental push for 'Hydrogen' (which is a HELL of a ways off). They will continue to dangle the hydrogen carrot in front of us long enough to sell all of their oil reserves. Government 'intervention' just equates to legislation and pandering to get kickbacks, stock options and cushy positions within their company when the politician is out of office.

The C.A.R.B (California Air Resources Board) chairman was already a major player in Hydrogen when he essentially squashed all of the electric infrastructure in California.
Hydrogen powered cars aren't that far off. My company is currently doing extensive research in the hydrogen fuel cell area. And in the mean time retrofitted all of University of Delaware's buses with Hydrogen engines. Instead of stopping at a gas station, they refill at a Hydrogen refueling station that we keep topped up for them. Just a little insider info.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Hydrogen powered cars aren't that far off. My company is currently doing extensive research in the hydrogen fuel cell area. And in the mean time retrofitted all of University of Delaware's buses with Hydrogen engines. Instead of stopping at a gas station, they refill at a Hydrogen refueling station that we keep topped up for them. Just a little insider info.
Interesting:
http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2007/apr/bus040907.html

10-15yrs away, at least. Some are saying 20+. They still have several technical hurdles to overcome, its most easily produced from natural gas not water and the infrastructure required for filling stations will be in the BILLIONS.

Natural gas is not prevalent in some parts of the country, they can't easily store/transport it, and its a non-renewable hydrocarbon.

I would have rather just plugged my car in while at home or stop at one of the many quick fill stations that were already built in CA.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Interesting:
http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2007/apr/bus040907.html

10-15yrs away, at least. Some are saying 20+. They still have several technical hurdles to overcome, its most easily produced from natural gas not water and the infrastructure required for filling stations will be in the BILLIONS.

Natural gas is not prevalent in some parts of the country, they can't easily store/transport it, and its a non-renewable hydrocarbon.

I would have rather just plugged my car in while at home or stop at one of the many quick fill stations that were already built in CA.
Agreed to the extent that its still years down the road to make it a viable solution. But where do you think the majority of the electricity that you are using to recharge that battery comes from...non-renewable resources. I say majority, because wind power, solar power, and interestingly enough wave power (oceanic), and hydro-electric are all small sources as well.

I think the research of renewable sources of energy is still in its infancy.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Agreed to the extent that its still years down the road to make it a viable solution. But where do you think the majority of the electricity that you are using to recharge that battery comes from...non-renewable resources. I say majority, because wind power, solar power, and interestingly enough wave power (oceanic), and hydro-electric are all small sources as well.

I think the research of renewable sources of energy is still in its infancy.

Most of the filling stations that CA had utilized solar panels. True, electricity requires either coal fired or nuclear plants, but we would have at least gotten a handle on this a few years ago and coal, while dirty is still viable, domestic and would have been cleaner than the emissions currently coming out of the tailpipe now.

CA's laws would have forced automakers to produce and sell a percentage of 'cleaner' cars otherwise they could not sell ANY cars in the state by 2009.

Sort of the chicken before the egg scenario:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr041508.htm

Still only talking a few hundred - few thousand cars by 2014.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Most of the filling stations that CA had utilized solar panels. True, electricity requires either coal fired or nuclear plants, but we would have at least gotten a handle on this a few years ago and coal, while dirty is still viable, domestic and would have been cleaner than the emissions currently coming out of the tailpipe now.

CA's laws would have forced automakers to produce and sell a percentage of 'cleaner' cars otherwise they could not sell ANY cars in the state by 2009.

Sort of the chicken before the egg scenario:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr041508.htm

Still only talking a few hundred - few thousand cars by 2014.
Thats pretty cool Xodus, I didn't realize that CA had electric filling stations. I'd love to see the US go nuclear, similar to France, in that its all Federally regulated instead of each plant being so damn different. But thats off topic.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thebigt General Chat 43
howwedo107 General Chat 25
holyintellect General Chat 61
Delta Force General Chat 18
SufferingEd Supplements 25