skydiving have you done it?

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Im thinking about sky diving for my birthday which is in a few weeks or possibly in the future. Anyone have any horror stories or tales to tell of their skydiving experience?

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
I did once, and never wanted to do it ever again haha.... I'd say give it a try anyways, heck I even have it on vhs. I'm still amazed I even tried it.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I did once, and never wanted to do it ever again haha.... I'd say give it a try anyways, heck I even have it on vhs. I'm still amazed I even tried it.

why would you say that? bad/good experience?

scary?

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
why would you say that? bad/good experience?

scary?
Yea I'm scared of heights so jumping out of a plane was very scary.
It was a good experience. I was just so happy to land :)
My coworkers liked it so much, they did it more and more.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Yea I'm scared of heights so jumping out of a plane was very scary.
It was a good experience. I was just so happy to land :)
My coworkers liked it so much, they did it more and more.

oh im scared of heights too but I think if you can conquer such a crazy fear you can practically do anything. If you got the balls to jump out of a plane you got balls to do anything. :dance:

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
I was a paratrooper for 7 years, but my only true skydive was a tandem jump with the Golden Knights. It was fun, but skydiving is a very expensive hobby, so I never tried to become more involved. I have 33 static line jumps, but those aren't fun in the least bit.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
No horror stories here. I went skydiving once and loved it! Yeah, sure it's pretty scary, and my stomach went a little weird in the airplane on the way up - but it was totally fun!

For some reason, I was surprised at how loud it got when they opened the door to jump. That was WHEN I realized it was real - I was actually going to jump out of a plane, lol.

The next 6-8 seconds before my chute opened took about 2 minutes, lol.

Then - absolute silence. It was surreal to go from such noise to silence...even saw a butterfly float with me for a bit.

Landing - I did a good landing, but thank god I was talked through it on the radio. I started freaking out when I was about to land on top of a bunch of trees! Then they told me to push down on the cords to slow my fall...oops - those "trees" were grass...funny how the eyes can play tricks with you.

Grab you chute as fast as you can after you land - I did. My friend did not, and was dragged 100m on his ass from the wind, lol.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
No horror stories here. I went skydiving once and loved it! Yeah, sure it's pretty scary, and my stomach went a little weird in the airplane on the way up - but it was totally fun!

For some reason, I was surprised at how loud it got when they opened the door to jump. That was WHEN I realized it was real - I was actually going to jump out of a plane, lol.

The next 6-8 seconds before my chute opened took about 2 minutes, lol.

Then - absolute silence. It was surreal to go from such noise to silence...even saw a butterfly float with me for a bit.

Landing - I did a good landing, but thank god I was talked through it on the radio. I started freaking out when I was about to land on top of a bunch of trees! Then they told me to push down on the cords to slow my fall...oops - those "trees" were grass...funny how the eyes can play tricks with you.

Grab you chute as fast as you can after you land - I did. My friend did not, and was dragged 100m on his ass from the wind, lol.

that sounds like fun dude!

Im scared of height and to be honest with you if i could sky dive, I think I can pretty much conquer fear itself. (for me at least :hammer:)

ALso slow-mum, yeah sky diving does look expensive. 300 bucks for one trip up there including recording/dvd. Thats friken crazy!

Luckily im a student I think if I went up just once id say that I had enough of it for a life time :lol:

Squeaks4ver

Squeaks4ver

Awards
  • Established
did a jump attached to an instructor...yeah.. blacked out.. woke up and i was on the ground... they gave me half of my money back lol since i did not even remember any aspect of the jump

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I kiss the ground i walk on everyday......screw that!!! :D

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
am planning on it when I turn 35, did bungee jumping which was fun, not like skydiving however

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
I did it once...
freaking amazing...

honestly it was a better release than sex...no ****

jumped tandem from 13,500 feet ASL right on the east coast of florida... beautiful day. it was a warm day but didnt expect it to be so damn cold at that altitude

amazing rush.. after a few mins of free-fall, the instructor told em to pull the cord... i ignored him.. i was having too much fun
finally he put my hand on the rip cord and i let it go... key is to let your entire body go limp at this point so that your crotch doesnt get ripped up.

landed without any issues.... .greatest rush ever. would def do again if i had the money

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I kiss the ground i walk on everyday......screw that!!! :D
I know my wife kisses he ground that I wallk on, so similar.

I had a paralyzing fear of heights, so in college we had to do a speech about some kind of personal change - so I went bungee jumping 350 feet up off of a hot air balloon.

Scary as ****, but I did it and do not regret it at all.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

I had a paralyzing fear of heights, so in college we had to do a speech about some kind of personal change - so I went bungee jumping 350 feet up off of a hot air balloon.

Haha kisses the ground...right, I would be the first to push you out of the plane!!!:woohoo:

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Sky Diving wont do jack for your fear of heights IMO. I say this because i hate heights as well but when i went skydiving i realised you are so high up it really has nothing to do with fear of heights cos you cant make out anything to compare how high you are, its more about being scared of dying from a dodgy shoot lol!!
Climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge had me shaking completely for almost the full 3 hours. As for skydiving once the back door thing on the plane opened up there was really no time to stop and think about it, the little chinaman on my back just said lift your legs and next thing i know im having the time of my life.

Bundjy jumping would be much worse as you stand and look down, knowing that you have to make the first move.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I don't like heights at all. I helped my fater-in-law put a new roof on his house a few years ago. That for me was some scary azz sh*t!

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
I don't like heights at all. I helped my fater-in-law put a new roof on his house a few years ago. That for me was some scary azz sh*t!
i hate ladders and any heights that are un-secured... im ok with roofs as long as im not close to the edge.
skydiving is different...
you dont really feel like youre falling
and its like being in an airplane.. you are too high to really comprehend the height. when you are getting close to the ground its a weird feeling thou

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i hate ladders and any heights that are un-secured... im ok with roofs as long as im not close to the edge.
skydiving is different...
you dont really feel like youre falling
and its like being in an airplane.. you are too high to really comprehend the height. when you are getting close to the ground its a weird feeling thou
Yeah i hear ya. Who knows maybe one day i'll do it. I totally agree with the unsecured heights feeling. It really s*cks!

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I did it once...
freaking amazing...

honestly it was a better release than sex...no ****

jumped tandem from 13,500 feet ASL right on the east coast of florida... beautiful day. it was a warm day but didnt expect it to be so damn cold at that altitude

amazing rush.. after a few mins of free-fall, the instructor told em to pull the cord... i ignored him.. i was having too much fun
finally he put my hand on the rip cord and i let it go... key is to let your entire body go limp at this point so that your crotch doesnt get ripped up.

landed without any issues.... .greatest rush ever. would def do again if i had the money

how much did you pay. sounds like an amazing rush!

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established

No doubt, it was better than sex. I did with my wife and a bunch of buddies before I was deployed to Iraq last year...I HIGHLY recommend it...doing it with my tiny little wife was not only a bonding experience but made me gain respect for her.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn dude good thread. Ive been wanting to do this for awhile but never had anyone really serious enough to do it with me. In this type of event i would like to share it with someone close to me, friend or family or lover. I do have a son so it makes me think twice about risking my life like that.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
how much did you pay. sounds like an amazing rush!
I dont remember, but I know it was under$200
my buddy paid the extra $100 or so for the video and pictures.. it was cool bc he paid and they still took some pics of me and some video...

here is a pic off the companies website,..cant beat this view

Skydive Sebastian - Skydiving florida
thats the east coast of Florida (Atlantic ocean) and the intracoastal (Indian river) to the west of the ocean.

the craziest feeling was standing on the edge of the plane at 13.5k feet...looking out... and thinking... 'im about to jump out of this thing'... it was weird feeling for about 5 seconds... but once you stabilize, its just such a rush.

when you pull the parachute.. its different bc now you are vertical, with nothing below you... and since you cant really see the parachute above you... it feels like you are standing on top of the world with nothing around you

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
LOL

I had a chick with me who puked and we all had to watch the puke float around with us until we pulled chutes.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
No doubt, it was better than sex. I did with my wife and a bunch of buddies before I was deployed to Iraq last year...I HIGHLY recommend it...doing it with my tiny little wife was not only a bonding experience but made me gain respect for her.
we are talking about skydiving still?? :jaw:

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
LOL

I had a chick with me who puked and we all had to watch the puke float around with us until we pulled chutes.
HAHA thats crazy! even if they did puke it would be kinda cool to just see puke floating in air with you. :rofl:

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
LOL

HAHA thats crazy! even if they did puke it would be kinda cool to just see puke floating in air with you. :rofl:

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Who says you dont have any time to look around before you jump? I stood there for at least 10 seconds hang'n ten. And then we did a somersault on the way out the door. I absolutely loved it. Almost to the point where I would be willing to sell my car to be able to afford the $10-12k cost of getting into the hobby. lol.

These are pictures from the first time I jumped. Theyre actually video stills, thats why theyre distorted. Its from 18,000ft over Monterey CA. Amazing view, and from 18k feet you get about 90 seconds of free fall time. My cheeks were flapping in the wind like a dog, and my mouth and throat were so dry the first time. I guess I learned to keep my mouth shut or something.

Its a blast though.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately I cannot due to most places having weight restrictions of 220-245lbs for tandem jumps.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Best experience I've ever had. NO high can beat jumping out of a plane.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Oh, man, it's on my "to do list", but I'm not sure if I'll ever have the guts... I'm scared of heights and I'm getting chills just looking at those pictures... Some day, some day...

AM07

Awards
  • Established
am planning on it when I turn 35, did bungee jumping which was fun, not like skydiving however
Every single person I know that has done both thought bungee jumping was more of a thrill.

Skydiving was pretty cool, not as thrilling as I'd expected, though. Was a little disappointed, but still really fun. Jumped tandem.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Loved it. I'm scared of heights but not scared of jumping... Odd I know.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Every single person I know that has done both thought bungee jumping was more of a thrill.

Skydiving was pretty cool, not as thrilling as I'd expected, though. Was a little disappointed, but still really fun. Jumped tandem.
eh... i dont trust someone who is paid $8/hr with my life. all of the places ive seen bungee jumping avail were carnival/non-mainstream amusement parks. at least jumping tandem, the other guy has a pretty big investment in a successful jump.
plus ive had back issues in the past... dangling around from an elastic strap by my ankle doesnt seem like a good way to avoid future injury.

What altitude did you skydive from? i couldnt imagine being disapointed.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
eh... i dont trust someone who is paid $8/hr with my life. all of the places ive seen bungee jumping avail were carnival/non-mainstream amusement parks. at least jumping tandem, the other guy has a pretty big investment in a successful jump.
plus ive had back issues in the past... dangling around from an elastic strap by my ankle doesnt seem like a good way to avoid future injury.

I agree with dave, Main reason why I didnt think of bungee jumping. Going down for a jump and then pivoting back up doesnt sound very cool to me and could result in injury. At least in sky diving the guy strapped to you wants to live and you sorta know your safe.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Having bungee jumped and jumped out of a plane, jumping out of a plane is 10 times more or a rush for me. I was more nervous bungee jumping though.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is the shizznit! Hopefully if all goes well I will make it into the recon pipeline and get to jump for a living

AM07

Awards
  • Established

There are actual places where one goes to bungee jump.

Also, I would only ever bungee jump above water, never above ground.

I dived from 10,000 feet. I guess disappointing is the wrong word. It just wasn't as thrilling as I'd expected. I really want to try bungee jumping because everyone I know that has done both said bungee jumping was more of a thrill. Maybe it's the fact that the cord can snap at anytime, thus making it more fearful?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
drejb Anabolics 13
dustinr334 Anabolics 2
RenegadeRows General Chat 28
anabolicrhino General Chat 3
General Chat 11