Once again looking for guidance from AM

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
OK, so I just graduated with a Bachelor's in Communications and I applied to a master's program for teaching technology. I found out that I have to do two additional years of undergraduate work before I can become certified to teach in New York State. All the classes are held at night which means I would have to give up my new job which has benefits and great pay for a part time position. So I am looking down a different path now, Here are my options:
1. Get a Network Administrator certification that would take me one semester of work and become your companies computer guy
-or-
2. Take a 5 year curriculum to become a Doctor of Physical Therapy. This option would by far be the most costly and have to most amount of work, but 80% of the course work is in exercise science and human anatomy which seem pretty interesting to me.

So what should I do AM.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
In the end I would do whatever job you have the most interest in. Since your job will end up being a major part of your day you will enjoy life better if the work hours are not miserable!

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
Dude, physical thearpy, and get completly ripped! Na, gonna have to go with crader on this one, "what would you be happy waking up to every morning"?

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
More work and more student loans usually means a job that pays more... food for thought. Dont factor the 'cost', instead chart out a realistic salary for each (yearly) AND the hours required for each (weekly).. more money usually also requires that you dont adhere to the 9-5 lifestyle.

Personally, I would be weary of the 'office pc dude'... can you really see yourself doing this for more than a few years? eh. not me. Also, from what ive seen, tech people are a dime a dozen these days thanks to an influx of Indian/Asian immagrants who may be more tech savvy bc of more stringent schooling.

Doctor of Physical Therapy is a pretty sweet job title, plus im sure youd do your share of research and clinical trials (sweet). You may also be able to Adjunct at a university or community college on the side.. which is a nice way to supplement your income and teach as well.

follow your heart at the end of the day.. just find something that you can see yourself doing comfortably for a long long time.

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
More work and more student loans usually means a job that pays more... food for thought. Dont factor the 'cost', instead chart out a realistic salary for each (yearly) AND the hours required for each (weekly).. more money usually also requires that you dont adhere to the 9-5 lifestyle.

Personally, I would be weary of the 'office pc dude'... can you really see yourself doing this for more than a few years? eh. not me. Also, from what ive seen, tech people are a dime a dozen these days thanks to an influx of Indian/Asian immagrants who may be more tech savvy bc of more stringent schooling.

Doctor of Physical Therapy is a pretty sweet job title, plus im sure youd do your share of research and clinical trials (sweet). You may also be able to Adjunct at a university or community college on the side.. which is a nice way to supplement your income and teach as well.

follow your heart at the end of the day.. just find something that you can see yourself doing comfortably for a long long time.
Very nicely put!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
If technology (and CONTINUOUS learning) do not interest you, don't go the Net/Sys Admin route.

Been doing it over 12 years now. The pay is great, the hours suck and the burn out rate is high. If you do not truly love technology though, it would blow and you will hate it. I am not talking about fixing your friends/relatives PC's on the side, I am talking about keeping ahead of the curve regarding the latest technologies BEFORE they become 'buzzwords'.

FWIW, I am NOT your 'office PC dude' but have been in Sr. positions for several multi-billion dollar companies and now enjoy the fruits of my hard work and dedication to my profession.

Take the others advice, what do you see yourself waking up to every day? Not even of the choices you have listed. Disregard schooling, money, and the 'how's right now.

Once you decide that, then figure out the 'how' and you will be much happier later on down the line.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Paul I completely agree with Palo. At the end of the day you want to be doing something you truly enjoy and like doing as opposed to the "it pays the bills".

Exercise science is a great curriculum man you will love it (It's what I will be taking to get into either Chiro or Med school). I say you apply to Rutgers PT program and come party down here with me :D.

Seriously though the amount of work you will put in will be a lot and has the potential to become stressfull, but it will be 100% worth it in the future. Helping people is a huge reward of the hard work.

Also side note, after some time you can get a PT cert (or a CSCS if they accept the PT cert as a BS in exercise science) and use those to help pay some of the bills. Thats one of my plans to help pay for the additional costs of all the schooling before you can get into a full time paying position.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice so far everyone, right now I have a steady job that pays well and a roof over my head so I may ride out the PT school. I wish I would have gotten into all this stuff after graduating from HS not college lol.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Do you what you feel will make you the happiest. Plain and simple...don't do something just for the motivation of money...do something you know your going to enjoy doing day in day out. If your goals are high, which they appear to be than it is going to take more work and harder efforts to get what you want, but in the end all the hard work and dedication will pay off. My advice is to never settle for complacency. Nuff said!

Cheers!:cheers:

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
Good Luck Man! :thumbsup: Let us know what happens.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am trying to go into physical therapy! Sounds like a good idea to me ;)

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
pmiller lets open a gym !

i wish i took diff paths in college too and right outta it lol but i didnt

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
pmiller lets open a gym !

i wish i took diff paths in college too and right outta it lol but i didnt
Dude I would love to open a gym, I would probably suck though because I wouldn't let people who weren't serious workout there.

tattoopierced1

i'm a network admin, and although it is a decent job, it goes unappreciated by 99% of people. I'd say go with with Physical Therapy route.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
i'm a network admin, and although it is a decent job, it goes unappreciated by 99% of people. I'd say go with with Physical Therapy route.
:goodpost:

Ain't that the f'ing truth...

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
Dude I would love to open a gym, I would probably suck though because I wouldn't let people who weren't serious workout there.
dont put in an air conditioner.... that would weed out the shmucks! lol just garage doors and fans!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
then dont put in an air conditioner.... that would weed out the shmucks! lol
Yeah but I would say about 80% of your revenue comes from those that sign up, go the first two weeks in January, then never show up again.

You have to make it inviting for them. They are the bread and butter.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but I would say about 80% of your revenue comes from those that sign up, go the first two weeks in January, then never show up again.

You have to make it inviting for them. They are the bread and butter.

i was just messin around..lol..when i was a little younger i got the neighborhood kids to sell gallons of limonade door to door for me..untill my family found out and told me to stop pimping my juice!:aargh:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Become a Murse! ;)

I completely agree that you should do something that you enjoy and can see yourself doing in 20 years. I love medicine and luckily found my nitch with it early on. I am however in the process of going back to school to either become a Nurse Practitoner or Physician Assistant.

While i do very much enjoy the pay and flexibility that exists in nursing, i'm now finding that i personally need new challenges that a practitoner role would provide me.

I wish you the best in your decision, and i strongly encourage you to go with what interests you the most in the end. :D

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Well I just registered for the classes and I am going to meet with an advisor soon to see if I could realistically complete the program for Physical Therapy in a reasonable amount of time. I am just so p1ssed because I feel like I wasted a lot of money and four years getting a communication degree.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Well I just registered for the classes and I am going to meet with an advisor soon to see if I could realistically complete the program for Physical Therapy in a reasonable amount of time. I am just so p1ssed because I feel like I wasted a lot of money and four years getting a communication degree.

Education is never 'wasted'.

Unless of course it was a philosophy degree.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is no such thing as a wasted education. What you learned along the way helped form who you are today. :)

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
There is no such thing as a wasted education. What you learned along the way helped form who you are today. :)
A bitter man with no direction ....
Yeah I know it wasn't "wasted" but I had an epiphany late in my education that I no longer wanted to sit at a desk and be either extremely bored or extremely swamped and stressed for some BS that wont matter in the whole scheme of things. I like the idea of being able to actually help people a better the lives of others rather than take their money. I just wish my university felt the same way and wasn't taking all my money.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A bitter man with no direction ....
Yeah I know it wasn't "wasted" but I had an epiphany late in my education that I no longer wanted to sit at a desk and be either extremely bored or extremely swamped and stressed for some BS that wont matter in the whole scheme of things. I like the idea of being able to actually help people a better the lives of others rather than take their money. I just wish my university felt the same way and wasn't taking all my money.
Paul, that's why i work in the emergency room. I'm running around busy all day and help save some lives in the process. :)

I love medicine for the simple fact that i like helping people when they need it most. I would go INSANE if i had to sit at a desk job all day long. :aargh:

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Paul, that's why i work in the emergency room. I'm running around busy all day and help save some lives in the process. :)

I love medicine for the simple fact that i like helping people when they need it most. I would go INSANE if i had to sit at a desk job all day long. :aargh:
Yeah, Desk jobs aren't for me either bud. I appreciate your input as well as everyone else's a lot. Thanks Guys

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
OK, so I just graduated with a Bachelor's in Communications and I applied to a master's program for teaching technology. I found out that I have to do two additional years of undergraduate work before I can become certified to teach in New York State. All the classes are held at night which means I would have to give up my new job which has benefits and great pay for a part time position. So I am looking down a different path now, Here are my options:
1. Get a Network Administrator certification that would take me one semester of work and become your companies computer guy
-or-
2. Take a 5 year curriculum to become a Doctor of Physical Therapy. This option would by far be the most costly and have to most amount of work, but 80% of the course work is in exercise science and human anatomy which seem pretty interesting to me.

So what should I do AM.
Option 2 without a doubt. Even though 5 years seems long, it will pay off in the end. In the grand scheme of things, 5 years is a blink of an eye, and you'll be doning something that you enjoy. Plus I hate all the computer guys where I work, JK.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established

It took me a LONG time to get used to sittign at a desk all day. I actually lost weight from it because being situated allows me to monitor and control my diet much better than being on my feet.

There is definitely no such thing as a wasted education. I have worked some of the most odd jobs out there...I have also taken some off the wall classes... but I can do everything from writing a 50 page research paper without sweat to pulling an engine out of a car and fully rebuilding it without supervision. Diversity is the spice of life. My diverse background has helped me understand how to manage myself and manage others better because I have seen more than just 1 side of employment/company operations/how the world really works.

One day you will understand how to really utilize your communications background.

Ive been doing a lot of clinical research lately and its really inspired my interest in medicine. Not sure if anything will ever come from that, but I truly cannot wait to go back to school to further my education.. school stimulates my brain and my thought process as well as my creativity.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It took me a LONG time to get used to sittign at a desk all day. I actually lost weight from it because being situated allows me to monitor and control my diet much better than being on my feet.

There is definitely no such thing as a wasted education. I have worked some of the most odd jobs out there...I have also taken some off the wall classes... but I can do everything from writing a 50 page research paper without sweat to pulling an engine out of a car and fully rebuilding it without supervision. Diversity is the spice of life. My diverse background has helped me understand how to manage myself and manage others better because I have seen more than just 1 side of employment/company operations/how the world really works.

One day you will understand how to really utilize your communications background.

Ive been doing a lot of clinical research lately and its really inspired my interest in medicine. Not sure if anything will ever come from that, but I truly cannot wait to go back to school to further my education.. school stimulates my brain and my thought process as well as my creativity.
I couldn't agree more dave. Diversity truly is the spice of life! The jack of all trades, master of none is fine by me. :)

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
I couldn't agree more dave. Diversity truly is the spice of life! The jack of all trades, master of none is fine by me. :)
That is the story of my life.. but I dont see a problem with it! I have yet to master any one trade, but whatever my main priority is at the time, i own it better than 99% of the people out there. I am a huge bank of useless information thanks to the history channel and the discovery channel and their hour long documentaries on the most random topics (ie one hour on aluminum and "How Aluminum Foil is made"... sweet! I love random knowledge).
Google is my other best friend... if i dont know something... I feel I HAVE to learn it. Im actually studying plumbing right now online because of a stubborn slow draining toilet.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
That is the story of my life.. but I dont see a problem with it! I have yet to master any one trade, but whatever my main priority is at the time, i own it better than 99% of the people out there. I am a huge bank of useless information thanks to the history channel and the discovery channel and their hour long documentaries on the most random topics (ie one hour on aluminum and "How Aluminum Foil is made"... sweet! I love random knowledge).
Google is my other best friend... if i dont know something... I feel I HAVE to learn it. Im actually studying plumbing right now online because of a stubborn slow draining toilet.
lol...i knew i wasent the only one who was keeping "how its made"
on the air......if thats the show u are talking about..(didnt mean to butt in)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm the same way. If i don't understand something i'm suddenly on a quest to figure it out. I drive my wife nuts with some of the shows i like to watch on tv lol. Knowledge is power. :D

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ahhh how its made, we go to sleep with that on. That gay music plays in my head all night.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
Ahhh how its made, we go to sleep with that on. That gay music plays in my head all night.

haha..ya, makes me wana do the robot!.. im always trying to estimate costs of production for that show... people must be making bank. its definatly one of the most profitable shows on tv today.. really involves no one but a camera crew..

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really like "Myth Busters"! I mean how much fun would it be to blow sh*t up everyday as your job? :D

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I really like "Myth Busters"! I mean how much fun would it be to blow sh*t up everyday as your job? :D
That would be great!! Talk about stress relief. Oh by the way I see you bought me on myspace..lol I owned you once but alas someone bought you..

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Yeah mythbuster is an awesome show!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That would be great!! Talk about stress relief. Oh by the way I see you bought me on myspace..lol I owned you once but alas someone bought you..
Now i own you hahahaha!