What do you do for a living?

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
I haven't seen a thread like this yet. I am curious to know if most people here have physical jobs or desk-type jobs. I am also curious to know what your level of schooling is, if you'll share it.

I=professional student, full-time
My education, MA and 1 year away from professional degree.

You?

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
Oil and Gas industry, field engineer. Semi-Physical. Highly taxed.

University drop-out :)

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Already a large thread floating around on this exact topic.

anyway.

I work in a hedge fund as trade support........boring.

University of life!!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I used to do payday/title loan to high risk individuals (at very high interest rates), but I'm moving into computer tech/customer support. BA in Business/Economics from a University of California.

MB

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Company owner/ full time firefighter/medic

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Molecular Biologist, currently working in a Immunologic Research Lab, though I prefer nutrigenomics.

BA in Cellular & Molecular Bio, slowly progressing towards a PhD.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
District Manager with Custom Built Personal Training.

Lovin it....

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Sr. Systems Engineer.

School of hard knocks.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
School part time nursing, full time work psych unit for kids 12-17 yrs old......... and part time work in group home for mentally challenged kids....

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
IT tech at a Nursing Home (non Profit)
IT Intern at an industrial controls business (profit)
Full time student at University at Buffalo, just got my BA now I am going for my NYS teaching certification.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Medical company sales (sleep apnea patients)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Paralegal at a Civil Law Firm.

Going to school toward PT, and CSCS

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Full-time student (about to finish my BS and then get my M. Ed.)
Grad Assistant starting in August
MMA
Personal Trainer

I like to be busy.

human

human

Awards
Asst Meat manager. At a over priced grocery store .
(I play with meat all day.)

brugalou

brugalou

Awards
  • Established
Bouncer/ Residential Counsler working with DSS kids ranging from infancy to 12yrs of age

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a Murse.......or male nurse(BSN). :)

Currently 8 years in emergency medicine. I plan on moving on to nurse anesthetist or physician assistant within the next year or so. It's time to move on up. :D

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established

Currently 8 years in emergency medicine. I plan on moving on to nurse anesthetist or physician assistant within the next year or so. It's time to move on up. :D
Nurse Flowers?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I would not be able to function without my CPAP!

Anyway, I'm in wastewater management. Yes, I'm a turd herder.
LMAO!

I'm a chemical engineer for a big petrochemical complex of one of the "big oil" companies. (Aka super major's)

Have a BS degree in chemical engineering. Top graduate (4.0 gpa).

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love that freaking show.
I can honestly attest to the fact that working in the E.R. has many similarities to the show. They did a good job at capturing the overall feel.....however its exagerated to a degree.

The patients that they have on there amazingly enough are all to similar to what i see on a daily basis. We all clown around on down time in a similar fashion. With the degree of stress there is at times it keeps you sane. God i do love the E.R. The show kicks azz.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can honestly attest to the fact that working in the E.R. has many similarities to the show. They did a good job at capturing the overall feel.....however its exagerated to a degree.

The patients that they have on there amazingly enough are all to similar to what i see on a daily basis. We all clown around on down time in a similar fashion. With the degree of stress there is at times it keeps you sane. God i do love the E.R. The show kicks azz.
Sadly, I've had a few classes where I got A's because I watch House. After a while, the terminology just stuck with me.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I forgot to mention i've also acquired my BCEN(Board Certified Emergency Nurse) over the years. It's a special certification specific for emergency nursing. Similar to what MD's take for specific specialties in their profession(emergency medicine is also one). It's worth it in the end, more money for T1. :)

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
Former soldier, failed musician, part-time student, and full-time manager of an FYE.

-Degree has been in progress for a long time.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I married my elliot haha. ;)
Nice!

At the risk of turning this into more of a scrubs thread- i just cracked up when we started talking about elliot because i thought of one of the first episodes when jd introduces her to turk and turk busts out the E.T. "e-l-l-i-o-t".

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice!

At the risk of turning this into more of a scrubs thread- i just cracked up when we started talking about elliot because i thought of one of the first episodes when jd introduces her to turk and turk busts out the E.T. "e-l-l-i-o-t".
:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
yep its a scrubs thread.. i dont watch the show

but back to topic

soldiering in Iraq... who needs a degree when you have life to teach you..

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established

i would love to be a nurse anesthetist :) (this is mrs. gimpy). the pa's have some pretty good limitations depending on the type of education that is pursued.

strester

strester

Awards
  • Established
Scrubs FTW! ... that show is too fvckin' funny ... last week's episode might have been the last one on NBC

job: Systems Analyst
edu: B.S. Business Administration w/ concentration in Info Tech

it's a desk job, but I try to get up and walk around every 15-20min

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i would love to be a nurse anesthetist :) (this is mrs. gimpy). the pa's have some pretty good limitations depending on the type of education that is pursued.
Waz up gimpy! :) Yeah i probably will pursue the nurse anesthetist route(120,000 a year right out of school), however i do enjoy the practitioner role a lot. P.A.'S limitations are varied all over the place. I'd want to work in the E.R. where in most facilities they function basically the same as the M.D.'S.

Bum Mahoney

Bum Mahoney

Awards
Corporate Trainer. Speeches, classes, etc. Moderate amount of travel. Would be writer, but that's on hold with the family.....

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
This thread has turned out better than I thought. We've got a pretty wide spread on here. It's nice to know that fitness and strength cut across a lot of socio-economic/socio-cultural lines. Keep the responses comin'. You know people are gonna start gettin' PMs for advice questions in their field. Any other law students out there?

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I work in a pharmacology group at a very large pharma company........

The Batman

The Batman

Awards
Trust accountant. I basically watch over half of a very large 401k account.

Not for too much longer though. I'm planning on getting my CSCS in june or july and moving into athletics.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
Waz up gimpy! :) Yeah i probably will pursue the nurse anesthetist route(120,000 a year right out of school), however i do enjoy the practitioner role a lot. P.A.'S limitations are varied all over the place. I'd want to work in the E.R. where in most facilities they function basically the same as the M.D.'S.

definitely do the nurse anesthetist route! what other job out there gets that much moolah straight out of school (besides some doctors and a very small handful of other jobs)? I think that the nurse anesthetist is a very nice way to "move up" in nursing career. the benefits of nursing over dental hygiene :) but PAs always looks"so cool" and act so doctor like (at least that is how the general patient population tends to view them). Send me a message one day when you start your new route . im truly very interested in where your going to go and how you like it :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
definitely do the nurse anesthetist route! what other job out there gets that much moolah straight out of school (besides some doctors and a very small handful of other jobs)? I think that the nurse anesthetist is a very nice way to "move up" in nursing career. the benefits of nursing over dental hygiene :) but PAs always looks"so cool" and act so doctor like (at least that is how the general patient population tends to view them). Send me a message one day when you start your new route . im truly very interested in where your going to go and how you like it :)
Thanks Mrs. Gimpy, i appreciate the support. I'll definintely keep you updated with the route i choose. I can honestly say that i do enjoy nursing overall, however i've always had that feeling that i settled for it and didn't go after my actual potential.

I'm actually in the process of looking into N.A. as we speak. It's a very highly competitive program. They good news is that there are 2 programs not that far from me.

I have quite a few good Dr. and P.A. friends and some of them have told me i'd be good at a Nurse Anesthetist without i even saying a word..... So that's kind of nice to hear/know. :)

I just really enjoy the practitoner role though. I guess that's the E.R. nurse in me. :) I can tell you i've worked with some Brilliant P.A.'s and completely Moronic Dr.'s. I work with a Dr. right now that is the director of my E.R., and i wouldn't let that moron touch me if my life depended upon it.

I wish you luck in your ventures also. I know that i definitely chose the right direction......but the urge to go on is taking over haha.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
One of my friends who is a R.N. has told me some horror stories at the hospital since he's been there. He started this past Jan '08.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I'm a Process Engineer for a Membrane Separation Systems Company. I design, build, and implement systems that use membranes as a way to separate out gases like Hydrogen, Nitrogen, and Natural Gas.

Degree: B.S. Chemical Engineering

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One of my friends who is a R.N. has told me some horror stories at the hospital since he's been there. He started this past Jan '08.
Yeah there are both the good, and the bad. In all honesty it's not a job for everyone by any means.