Does It Get Better?

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I dont know the exact answer of what I am looking for. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that things do get better. I am getting ready to leave for the Marine Corps, college wasnt really an option. I havent had the best last few years. I was wondering do things get better when you get out of high school? I have always heard that high schol is that best years of are life. That is really eating at me latley. Has life got better or worse since high school? I know this is a strange question. thank you. Mark

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Im guessin you already signed for the marines? Good luck man, be safe.

As far as high school? if you talk to 5 people from high school in 5 years you'll be lucky. After you get away from the childishness of HS you'll realize how meaningless it was. The "cool" kids arent cool, the dorks become rich, and the hottest girl in the school, really wasnt that hot.

After high school you've got 75% of your life left, make the most of it. Travel is the most important thing you can do besides reading every book you can get your hands on.

You'll look back eventually on HS and realize what a joke it was. The people that had their best years in HS have nothing to look forward too for the rest of their life. I look forward to the rest of my life, i dont look back. Memories are good but they only get you so far. People stuck in the past go nowhere in life real fast, or get drinking problems.

eRICH

Awards
my life post high school is waaaay better. High school blows. Def not the best years of my life. Gluck with the marines and stay safe

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Life is what you make it, yeah high-school may have been a good time to get messed up on weekends and really have no responsibility, but there is bigger things that will bring a lot more fulfillment into your life, I just graduated from college and I know it the few years I have been out of high-school I feel like life has gotten a lot better. Just live it up while you can and make the most out of life. Good luck and much respect for taking on the responsibility of becoming a Marine.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Im not gunna lie, youre probably going to hate it sometimes. But looking back on the 5 years I did in the Marines, it was a lot of great times and I made a lot of great friends. Im sure youll get to see a lot of places you wouldnt have ever thought youd see, and youll do a lot of things that you never thought youd experience. So do yourself a favor and make the best of it, and dont let anyone bring you down while youre in. My life has gotten a lot better since high school. For the most part, I loved being in the Marines. But even since Ive been out, Im now a dad to the most beautiful little 2 year old girl. Shes, by far, the best thing thats ever happened to me. Dont think that its been easy up to this point though. I spent 14 months alone in Japan, and I came home to a messy divorce, but that little girl has made every bit of it worth it to me. Life is always going to have its struggles, but there can be a lot of good things mixed in between. Just live life and have fun when you can. It'll pan out man. Good choice going in The Marines. Best of luck, and semper fi.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Dude HS was preschool for life. I was in some podunk town High School skipping school and getting high (wasting time) now I am in Manhattan hanging out with models and getting paid. I am only 27 yrs old but HS is a distant memory for me and life is 1000 times better now. My story goes with everyone else's, that life is what you make it. Learn from your mistakes and grab life by the ballzzz..

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
high school was probably the worst 4 years of my life... it wasnt 'bad', but just annoying and such a drag
I never got caught up in the drama, but dealing with all the bs from kids and teachers just didnt work for me. plus i was working my butt off, and it was just hard balancing everything

college was the best 4 years of my life. i would have more fun in 1 week at college than i did in a year at high school. still worked full time, but being able to manage my own schedule worked so much better for me.

USMC will prob be similar... i almost went that route after HS, but ultimately decided otherwise. you will still haev a blast thou. the years after HS are the best because you are finally an adult and finally arent babysat for everything you do. you'll make real friends who are willing to die for you... thats a commitment.
take advantage of the GI bill!!

also.. im noticing that the older i get... the faster time flies. everytime i look at the clock.. it seems another week flies by. i remember in highschool that time seemed to crawl

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think what most people call the best years of your life in high school stems from the fact you don't have to support yourself. After your school work is done at best you have a part time job.

When you get out you either sink or swim when it comes to bills and responsibility. But you can get your own place and be who you choose to be.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
high school was probably the worst 4 years of my life... it wasnt 'bad', but just annoying and such a drag
I never got caught up in the drama, but dealing with all the bs from kids and teachers just didnt work for me. plus i was working my butt off, and it was just hard balancing everything

college was the best 4 years of my life. i would have more fun in 1 week at college than i did in a year at high school. still worked full time, but being able to manage my own schedule worked so much better for me.

USMC will prob be similar... i almost went that route after HS, but ultimately decided otherwise. you will still haev a blast thou. the years after HS are the best because you are finally an adult and finally arent babysat for everything you do. you'll make real friends who are willing to die for you... thats a commitment.
take advantage of the GI bill!!

also.. im noticing that the older i get... the faster time flies. everytime i look at the clock.. it seems another week flies by. i remember in highschool that time seemed to crawl

I knew my twin was out there...

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I would feel really bad for that person if after 5 yrs out of HS STILL thought that it was the best times of their lives. Al Bundy reliving glory days and all that.

:fool2:

I have younger friends that are not looking forward to their 30's. WTF!? So far its been the best yet, you have a career, money, you know who you are, where you want to be, and how to get there.

Enjoy the marines, stay safe to get through your stint, and look forward to rest of your life.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Until I read this thread I hadn't thought about high school in many years. I really hated high school. People that say high school was the best time of their life haven't lived yet. There's a whole world out there. Go make the most of it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I talk to maybe 3 people that I was friends with during HS even though I go to college in the same town still. It seems bad while you're there, but you realize how stupid and irrelevant 99% of HS is. I didn't have a horrible time in HS, but it was just annoying and definitely not something that I consider to be a great time of my life.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I ever utter the phrase, "high school was the best years of my life" I would promptly beat the **** out of myself.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I made some really good friends in high school, 3 of which i still talk to. However, i agree with the majority of the above posts. College was one of the best times of my life. It was 4 years of living it up before i had to take life serious.

Once i was in my career for a bit, i began to realize that the best is actually yet to come. I look forward to starting a family with my wife soon and building a strong family dynamic. I know deep down that while i've already had a ton of fun up to this point in my life, the best is still yet to come. :)

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I hated high school, i hated not being in any kind of control of my life and feeling like it was all pre-determined...

MB

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
bro - it sure does. and you get better as well!