Who knows a lot about TV's?

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I need some help with what to look for in a TV. My biggest priority is my new PS3.

Obviously I will be getting a 1080p with 1920x1080 resolution. But my question is, after that stuff what else do I look for when shopping?

I know my buddy was telling me to get one with at least 8ms response time, which I will do, but what else is important for a really good picture?

Contrast Ratio? Frame Rate? Brightness? I don't know what exactly to look for with all these numbers.

Anyone good with this stuff?

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
get a 50 in plasma so that you can see overthing on Grand Theft Auto and the characters will be all like 3 feet tall in stuff

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Currently, the highest quality 1080p sets do not outperform the highest quality 720p/1080i sets enough to warrant the price jump. If I am not mistaken, Panasonic yet produces the 'cream of the crop', so to speak, in terms of LCD technology. Consumer Reports released a comprehensive study, and allotted Panasonic with the top two spots in 42" or higher, with, I believe, the 1080i scoring higher in overall value.

Without full components, and an extremely high quality source, the advantage of 1080p over 1080i does not warrant the at times $500-1000 price difference.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Currently, the highest quality 1080p sets do not outperform the highest quality 720p/1080i sets enough to warrant the price jump. If I am not mistaken, Panasonic yet produces the 'cream of the crop', so to speak, in terms of LCD technology. Consumer Reports released a comprehensive study, and allotted Panasonic with the top two spots in 42" or higher, with, I believe, the 1080i scoring higher in overall value.

Without full components, and an extremely high quality source, the advantage of 1080p over 1080i does not warrant the at times $500-1000 price difference.
Thank you for an answer to my actual question ;)

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One thing I would do is go with LCD for sure. The screen hour gaurantee is just to big of a difference. Plasma is only gauranteed by 95% of companies for 3000 hours... whereas LCD is normally gauranteed for 20,000 hours.

Adams

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
just purchased a 42" Samsung LCD 1080p HD, its awesome, has all the HDMI ports u would need and the picture quality is top notch....before i even got the TV i have always felt that Samsung had the best TV's around