What can $100K or less buy you in California?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
So, we're looking at houses. Yep... its gonna be great. Just for kicks, we decided to check out some homes in this range, and here is what you can get for $90K.

Does that, or does that not, look like Ti-freaking-juana? Jesu Christo! :sick: No, this is not BS... this is a real home located in Moreno Valley, CA for $90K. The seller wants us to know that this is a great investment opportunity (few kilos of cocaine in the walls maybe?), and it won't last long (see ziprealty.com for more information if you're interested)!

Okay, back to doing important things like looking for houses and prepping for finals. See you all in a few months. :sad:

Attachments

Last edited:
ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
The doors and windows look new, possible raid damage?

:D

Good luck though, I'm trying to find a place to rent myself!

MB

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You wont find anything better for under $100k...and the realtor is correct, even that POS will go fast.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Welcome to home ownership. Unfortunately entry level first time homeowner homes are disgusting anymore.

A nice conversion van down by the river would be better. At least it would have a view and parking would not be an issue :D

Now get back to schoolwork and get your degree(s).

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Move to Montana.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
You can't find a decent house in CA for under $500,000...
I left in 2002 and was paying $1400 a month rent for a 2br/2ba apartment.
Nice houses with no yard in Aliso Viejo (approx 1700 sq ft) were around $500,000 back then.
San Diego is a tad cheaper depending how far inland you want to go.

(I still want to move to San Diego...I'm in the south now, and have to get out!)

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
In Buffalo, New York 100k would get you pretty far. My parents currently own a duplex house with 3bedrooms and 1.5baths on each side and they paid like 105k for it. Some of my friends that live in the actual city pay way less for beautiful old three story houses.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
You can't find a decent house in CA for under $500,000...
I left in 2002 and was paying $1400 a month rent for a 2br/2ba apartment.
Nice houses with no yard in Aliso Viejo (approx 1700 sq ft) were around $500,000 back then.
San Diego is a tad cheaper depending how far inland you want to go.

(I still want to move to San Diego...I'm in the south now, and have to get out!)
OC is pretty great (that's where I live) but it is outrageously expensive! Hard to leave Cali for me, although I did enjoy Portland, OR for 3 years ('98-'01). I grew up in SF but I've been in OC since 2001.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In Buffalo, New York 100k would get you pretty far. My parents currently own a duplex house with 3bedrooms and 1.5baths on each side and they paid like 105k for it. Some of my friends that live in the actual city pay way less for beautiful old three story houses.

Yes but doesn't the weather just suck ass in Bufalo New York?.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Market went insane in my area too in Maryland. 100k home are now 350k in just a short 6-7 year market. I stick to apartments so I don't have to deal with fixing up broke **** and if I decide to move it's simple.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Yes but doesn't the weather just suck ass in Bufalo New York?.
Whats your definition of suck @ass lol. Yeah it is pretty bad sometimes, but not horrible like many think. Winter usually has like two or three big snow storms where you get a foot or two of snow, but then you just get a little here and there for the rest of the winter. Spring usually stays around 40 and rainy until about now, where one night you wake up and its like 75 and sunny. Summers are nice, but pretty humid, and fall stay warm until late October. It is nice in the fact that you don't have to worry about monstrous bugs, tornadoes, mudslides, fires, etc... So all in all just like everywhere it has its ups and downs.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whats your definition of suck @ass lol. .
Yeah really. I grew up in Brooklyn NY. I live in Arizona (Mesa/Tempe/Chandler/Gilbert) now for the last 25 years. They flock (snow birds and new residents) here from cities and states like you discribe. I am sooooo tired of this "suck@ass" heat it is not even funny. Please give me some rain, snow, overcast, cloudy, dreary weather for goodness sake. This "chamber of commerce marketing city" is the death of me.

Not to mention what all those new residents and snowbirds have done to our population, road congestion, housing costs and overall congestion in our once slow, quiet innexpensive little cities. Thanks a lot eF-ers. :D

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
You wont find anything better for under $100k...and the realtor is correct, even that POS will go fast.
Yep, I was gonna say that same thing. Im surprised the realitor even took the time to show you anything. 100k in Cali? Your better off investing it and forgetting about it for 20 years. Stick with renting or move.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whats your definition of suck @ass lol. Yeah it is pretty bad sometimes, but not horrible like many think. Winter usually has like two or three big snow storms where you get a foot or two of snow, but then you just get a little here and there for the rest of the winter. Spring usually stays around 40 and rainy until about now, where one night you wake up and its like 75 and sunny. Summers are nice, but pretty humid, and fall stay warm until late October. It is nice in the fact that you don't have to worry about monstrous bugs, tornadoes, mudslides, fires, etc... So all in all just like everywhere it has its ups and downs.

Well I just know from what I see or hear about on TV so really I don't know much about it. I live in Maine and I am getting sick and tired of the damn Snow. This past winter was the worst. Having an snowstorm every other day of the week is my definition of "suck ass" weather. We had snow storms of at least 1 foot at least 2-3 times a week. Snow was everywhere and they ran out of places to put it. It sucked because the snowbanks got so high that you could not see when pulling out at an intersection, you just had to pull halfway out slowly and hope and pray!. Granted not all Winters are this bad, but I used to like snow!.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah really. I grew up in Brooklyn NY. I live in Arizona (Mesa/Tempe/Chandler/Gilbert) now for the last 25 years. They flock (snow birds and new residents) here from cities and states like you discribe. I am sooooo tired of this "suck@ass" heat it is not even funny. Please give me some rain, snow, overcast, cloudy, dreary weather for goodness sake. This "chamber of commerce marketing city" is the death of me.

Not to mention what all those new residents and snowbirds have done to our population, road congestion, housing costs and overall congestion in our once slow, quiet innexpensive little cities. Thanks a lot eF-ers. :D

We have the same problem up here. I moved here about 11 years ago and I swear the population has quadrupled in size.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
welcome to nyc dudettes. My house was bought for 100k and was fixed up to the max. (100k being super cheap for nyc homes I believe even 10 years ago)

We live in queens which is about 15-20 min away from manhattan. Talk about expensive dudes. I doubt you can find a good home under 750,000 here in nyc.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
Market went insane in my area too in Maryland. 100k home are now 350k in just a short 6-7 year market. I stick to apartments so I don't have to deal with fixing up broke **** and if I decide to move it's simple.
ain't that the truth! housing prices are a lot better (relatively) if you go out east towards the shore though

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
We've actually found some nice, relatively new homes from the low to mid 200s, and townhomes from 150-175, and they're in nice areas. But, having said that, I won't be too upset if my education leads me outside of CA. Its becoming very "third-world" here. (We weren't actually looking at that house :eek:, it was just something we found as we goofed around the web.)

Anyway, whatever we buy now will have to be rental-property in a year when school takes me out of the area. That's the trick. Finding something to buy that will have a low enough mortgage/taxes/hoa to almost break even (if we have to eat a couple hundred, no biggy, we'll save more in taxes than we'd eat up). And, our friends dad claims he'll be able to save us some money when we buy b/c he's been in the mortgage business for a few decades, so maybe that'll help us keep the mortgage down so we have rentable property. (Then again, who doesn't know someone who knows someone who knows someone, right?)

P.S. If anybody actually "knows" anything about this stuff (we know pretty much zip) and wouldn't mind throwing some nice first-time homeowners links our way, we'd appreciate it :D

mr j

Awards
my next door house sold for 550,000 in jan 07. now the family forclosed and the house is worth 240,000. there is many houses out there. that are cheap than the previous price. in california. Los anegeles

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my next door house sold for 550,000 in jan 07. now the family forclosed and the house is worth 240,000. there is many houses out there. that are cheap than the previous price. in california. Los anegeles
It's not necessarily worth that but that is likely a lean or debt that someone (bank/lender) is willing to take.

That is the market I will be tapping into here in AZ this upcoming year. I may not make a lot (or as much as I could have two years ago) off my house because of the decline (well it was over valued in the first place) but there will be a flood of that stuff on the market for the picking...hopefully.

Zombie

Zombie

Awards
  • Established
i just checked on a local website and i saw this
Century 21 Success Realty for 64,900

and this other one for 78,000
Century 21 Success Realty

they arent located at the worst part of town but arent the best its more like a below middle class and middle class neighborhoods.

not that bad compared with the first pic

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but that's Arizona. :) Some parts of the country you can have an awesome 2000+sq ft house + lots of property for $150K.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
but there will be a flood of that stuff on the market for the picking...hopefully.
Yeah, I really wish we were in a dual income situation right now b/c over this next year there will be plenty of opportunity to pickup some great properties. So, I'm envious of everyone who can really take advantage of the situation (although, despite the fact that this is the result of many people making poor decisions, its still sad that all of this opportunity had to come at the expense of so many people).