What states do people have the southern drawl accent?

Konvicted

Konvicted

Banned
Awards
Like that hella thick southern drawl accent? Such a big ass turn on, love girls with that accent.

Deegin

Awards
Every southern state seems to have its own form of a southern drawl. Texas sounds different than Georgia, Alabama sounds different than Tennessee, etc etc.. It would be difficult to pin-point the one you're asking about. But I agree, CERTAIN girls are that much hotter with a southern drawl (depending on the girl and depending on the drawl).

Ribo68

Ribo68

Awards
A skanky girl with a southern drawl is just a redneck.

Ribo68

Ribo68

Awards
A skanky girl with a southern drawl is just a redneck. My wife has a thick drawl. Everyone that's not from around here loves to hear her talk.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
I live in Arkansas. Originally from Illinois, so I still find the drawl on the women kind of....strange. If you like that stuff, come to Arkansas.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
Geez man, I live in Louisiana and accents can vary by city to city. We actually have several variations of drawls within a single Parish(county).

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Southern drawls make people sound um, stupid. Not sure what it is, but I instantly start talking slower and using smaller words around southerners.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Southern drawls make people sound um, stupid. Not sure what it is, but I instantly start talking slower and using smaller words around southerners.
Thanks for your honesty X. I assure you however, that we are all not like that.

It is a horrible misconception that just because someone is southern that they fill the southern stereotype.

In larger cities it is less common. For example, I live in Raleigh and the only time I notice an accent is if someone is from a small town.

However, to answer the original question: Small town, USA man. Just pick a southern state and look for the rural counties/cities/etc. and I'm sure you'll find one.

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to watch Andy Griffith. Viva la Mayberry, ya'll! :woohoo:

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for your honesty X. I assure you however, that we are all not like that.

It is a horrible misconception that just because someone is southern that they fill the southern stereotype.

In larger cities it is less common. For example, I live in Raleigh and the only time I notice an accent is if someone is from a small town.

However, to answer the original question: Small town, USA man. Just pick a southern state and look for the rural counties/cities/etc. and I'm sure you'll find one.

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to watch Andy Griffith. Viva la Mayberry, ya'll! :woohoo:

I've been around the block a few times and I know that it is a stereotype and a misconception. I've met some wonderful (and smart) southerners and I've met some stupid northerners.

I absolutely despise the New England accent (Mass and Maine are the worst - think Mayor Quimby from the Simpsons). But it is just that, an accent. Southerners seem to chuck out the rules and completely mangle the english language in addition to the drawl.

It's almost as bad as Ebonics.

He's fixin' to eat.

We're a-fixin' to go.

I might could climb to the top.

I got one of them.

See them birds?

You was sittin' on that chair.

I got to talking to him and we ended up talking all night.

John don't like cake.

I'm fixin' to paint me a picture.

He's gonna catch him a big one.

He's movin' real quick.

I'm right tired.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Southerners seem to chuck out the rules and completely mangle the english language in addition to the drawl.

He's fixin' to eat.

We're a-fixin' to go.

I got one of them.

See them birds?

John don't like cake.

He's movin' real quick.

I'm right tired.
Variety's the spice of life :)

But seriously, I know what you mean about the horrible grammar. In fact, this one person I was talking with told me of this one town she used to live in (I think it was in Tennessee or Kentucky.) She said that their accents were so strong that it was affecting their spelling. Being young and using phonetics to sound out words, these kids had a difficult time spelling words properly because of their accents. That's ridiculous!

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Variety's the spice of life :)

But seriously, I know what you mean about the horrible grammar. In fact, this one person I was talking with told me of this one town she used to live in (I think it was in Tennessee or Kentucky.) She said that their accents were so strong that it was affecting their spelling. Being young and using phonetics to sound out words, these kids had a difficult time spelling words properly because of their accents. That's ridiculous!

they're all socially-marked forms. but from a linguistic standpoint, no one language is superior to another in its form.

Southerners sound dumb to city folk because they are both from two different worlds. Southerners do not have to think fast on the roads, in town, or at work. It is all based off of lifestyle. Southerners have the luxury of thinking at a relaxed pace, and hence, speak at a relaxed pace. City folk, however, live at a fast pace and speak accordingly. Both people get their benefits from the environment they choose.

I personally prefer the Southern way of living. I hope to never stay in a city too long, and if I do, I hope I can still talk/think/live as relaxed as I wish.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
I've been around the block a few times and I know that it is a stereotype and a misconception. I've met some wonderful (and smart) southerners and I've met some stupid northerners.

I absolutely despise the New England accent (Mass and Maine are the worst - think Mayor Quimby from the Simpsons). But it is just that, an accent. Southerners seem to chuck out the rules and completely mangle the english language in addition to the drawl.

He's fixin' to eat.

We're a-fixin' to go.

I got one of them.

See them birds?

John don't like cake.

He's movin' real quick.

I'm right tired.
You forgot the double-negative:

He ain't got no money.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
they're all socially-marked forms. but from a linguistic standpoint, no one language is superior to another in its form.

Southerners sound dumb to city folk because they are both from two different worlds. Southerners do not have to think fast on the roads, in town, or at work. It is all based off of lifestyle. Southerners have the luxury of thinking at a relaxed pace, and hence, speak at a relaxed pace. City folk, however, live at a fast pace and speak accordingly. Both people get their benefits from the environment they choose.

I personally prefer the Southern way of living. I hope to never stay in a city too long, and if I do, I hope I can still talk/think/live as relaxed as I wish.
English language is the English language and there are rules that it consists of. Perhaps you mean no one dialect is superior. Do your local newscasters speak with a southern drawl too? I've been to other rural parts of the country and while the lifestyle is different, they don't sound so 'backwoods' as someone in the hills of Kentucky or Tennessee.

You've never been to Denver then. This has got to be one of the most 'relaxed' places on earth, esp. in the work place. Aside from Hawaii where everything is done on 'island time', even in Honolulu. It drove me nuts for the first year I was here from the East Coast where everything needed to be done yesterday. It took a little getting used to, but I feel better now that I am not racing around at 100mph.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
English language is the English language and there are rules that it consists of. Perhaps you mean no one dialect is superior. Do your local newscasters speak with a southern drawl too? I've been to other rural parts of the country and while the lifestyle is different, they don't sound so 'backwoods' as someone in the hills of Kentucky or Tennessee.

You've never been to Denver then. This has got to be one of the most 'relaxed' places on earth, esp. in the work place. Aside from Hawaii where everything is done on 'island time', even in Honolulu. It drove me nuts for the first year I was here from the East Coast where everything needed to be done yesterday. It took a little getting used to, but I feel better now that I am not racing around at 100mph.
nah, i'm not debating. what i meant was exactly what you just said. no one language/its dialects are superior to another. and as far as your transition, i can relate. it is good once you settle in, ain't it?

Konvicted

Konvicted

Banned
Awards
Im thinking on moving to a southern state and would like to be in a big city, but your saying pretty much that its kinda rare to find a girl with a thick accent in the city? And I love how cheap it is to live in the southern city's, I live in NorCal and its so expensive compared to anywhere else pretty much.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Im thinking on moving to a southern state and would like to be in a big city, but your saying pretty much that its kinda rare to find a girl with a thick accent in the city? And I love how cheap it is to live in the southern city's, I live in NorCal and its so expensive compared to anywhere else pretty much.
not at all, m'man. you can find a gal with a drawl in a southern city. it's just that over time, we all tend to unconsciously change our accent to match with the environ we're in. but it's never completely lost. i've been in arkansas for over 5 years now, and people can still tell that i'm from up north when i speak. vice versa, y'know?

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Thank Andy Griffith for that one - he created dumb-cracker humour almost single-handed (Justin Wilson & Bro. Dave Gardner followed on).

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Southerners sound dumb to city folk because they are both from two different worlds.
I guess there are no southern cities, then? 'Bout 4 million folks here would wonder at that...

Still, I see your point: cities attract "furriners" (ie, people not from around here); as a result, it's almost impossible to hear a true local accent anywhere in the metro Atlanta area, given the 2+million people who have moved here in the last few decades.

I myself was born (and raised) in the Deep South, but I do not have the honeysuckle, the magnolia, the mush-mouth, the cracker or the cornpone accents, 'cause I grew up watching TV (yep, first-generation TV baby) - heckins, my dad was called out by a guy from SC once - the man said my dad couldn't possibly be a "real Southerner" & called Dad a liar (*not* a smart move, but he learned).

I still fall into an accent if the person I'm talking with has the accent (not just southern-USA accents, either: I tend to speak Spanish with a German accent, and German w/ a French accent...).

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Any southern state you go to the will be people with a southern drawl. I live in North East Tennessee, way up in the hills. It is very strange because some people have the strongest accient I have heard, and some dont have it at all. I grew up in South Florida, so when I moved here I didnt have a southern drawl, now that I have lived here for 2.5 years, I have one. When I went to Michigan, ever person I meet was like "say something." It was sucked everytime you said something you got "where are you from, you have a strong accient." Alot of the women where really hot though so I didnt care. :chick:

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think we all know more or less what kinds of southern accents there can be.

Has anyone heard the northern Vermont accent? I never knew it existed until I moved here!

It's tough to describe...first time I heard it, I had a contractor over my place to give me an estimate, and he said the side of my house looked like the side of a barn, but he said "barn" kind of like "bay-arn." And so on and so forth...

At first I thought it was just the older folks, but two younger guys I play paintball with speak like that too!

Bravoboy

Bravoboy

Awards
  • Established
Damnit why did you put those saying up there. I matched all but 2. I'm from texas, but I must admit. It has it's benefits. when I talk to someone from deep east texas it's real strong. And It almost makes me feel like they are carefree, relaxed, and happy. You ever taken a benzodiazapan???, like xanax or valium. you will talk slower too and seem happier.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I think we all know more or less what kinds of southern accents there can be.

Has anyone heard the northern Vermont accent? I never knew it existed until I moved here!

It's tough to describe...first time I heard it, I had a contractor over my place to give me an estimate, and he said the side of my house looked like the side of a barn, but he said "barn" kind of like "bay-arn." And so on and so forth...

At first I thought it was just the older folks, but two younger guys I play paintball with speak like that too!

Ah-yep. Funny ass shi+ right there. Old school New England. Don't forget about adding the R to everything that ends in A. Area-er, Pizz-er, spatular. Don't even get me started on men with beards and no mustaches. Something just wrong with that.

Where in VT are you now?

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Damnit why did you put those saying up there. I matched all but 2. I'm from texas, but I must admit. It has it's benefits. when I talk to someone from deep east texas it's real strong.

Just calling it like I see it...

:dance: